StainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationRotoMetals2Graf & Sons
ADvertise hereLee PrecisionTitan Reloading

Thread: Lee new auto prime

Boolit Man

Lee new auto prime

Just wondering about the new lee auto prime what do u all thank about it. I have been using the old lee round tray hand primer for about 20 years and it's almost wore out. I really liked it.I bought the new square tray lawyer approved hand primer tool. The one that raises the primer and isolates the other primers a few years ago.I never could get it to feed and work right without jamming primers up. The new lee auto prime has the v shaped tray like the new bench mounted primer tool. Just wondering what every body thought about it that has used it. The bench mounted one looks ok but I thank I would like the hand held primer better. What do u all like the bench mounted or the hand held model. Is there another brand that's better easier to use that's not to to expensive?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    Just wondering about the new lee auto prime what do u all thank about it. I have been using the old lee round tray hand primer for about 20 years and it's almost wore out. I really liked it.I bought the new square tray lawyer approved hand primer tool. The one that raises the primer and isolates the other primers a few years ago.I never could get it to feed and work right without jamming primers up. The new lee auto prime has the v shaped tray like the new bench mounted primer tool. Just wondering what every body thought about it that has used it. The bench mounted one looks ok but I thank I would like the hand held primer better. What do u all like the bench mounted or the hand held model. Is there another brand that's better easier to use that's not to to expensive?
    With proper setup, they are great. Been using one for about a year. As they come not so great. I bent the al safety shield in the first 10 primers-just took apart and flattened it back out and went again. It usually occurs when the arm is allowed to go past the bottom point. I added one of the 3/8" threaded rubber covered feet to the wooden piece I mounted the tool to and after adjustment, problem was solved. Artheritus in hands had previously been a problem using the hand primer type I had used for over 45 years. Really a pain saver for some of us old guys!

Might want to ebay, garage sales, word of mouth and whatnot to find the old style round reservoir type. Some of the newer tools parts will work with the round tools, too. Scrounge like you're looking for boolit lead and snatch it when you see it. I think I've got enough parts and tools to last me that way.

Boolit Master

The older square tray setup was better. I have been fighting mine to get it to feed well and not jam (could be my technique or lack thereof) since I got it a year ago.
    Last edited by Bzcraig; 09-20-2017 at 09:57 PM.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    The older square tray setup was better. I have been fighting mine to get it to feed well and not jam (could be my technique or lack thereof) since I got it a year ago.
    I believe you mean the OLDER ROUND tray was better
    I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder and Sure-Kill deer and cover scents

PULSAR night vision and thermal dealer !!!
    PM me for a good deal

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    I believe you mean the OLDER ROUND tray was better
    Yes sir, that's exactly what I meant...duh!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    I still use two of the old round try tools. I also have a Sinclair single tool. It is very well made and seats primers precisely. But I hate the one at a time thing. I have parts scavenged away for my old LEEs, to keep them limping along for a while.

Boolit Master

After losing my spare LEE old style round tray from inventory, I found 2 more as backups. Because the two I'm using have served me forever. I don't anticipate needing more. As with any mechanical device, lube and common sense are required.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by B R Shooter View Post
    I still use two of the old round try tools. I also have a Sinclair single tool. It is very well made and seats primers precisely. But I hate the one at a time thing. I have parts scavenged away for my old LEEs, to keep them limping along for a while.
    In case my old round tray tool bites the dust or if the brand new mickey mouse square tray doesn't want to feed , I'm just going to ditch the tray and use it as a single loader. If it's good enough for Sinclair to make a tool that way.
    When I primed on the reloading press , I picked the primers up one at a time and put them in the cup...I'll just revert back to single loading and keep on like I got good sense.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables

Boolit Master
    One thing I found about keeping the old primers working. Mine seemed like they wouldn't push a primer far enough into the pocket, the handle was bottoming out before the primer was home.

If you take the push "rod" out, the thing with the round top and it fits into the cross pin of the handle, it is made of cheap pot metal. You can gently peen the middle of the push rod against another piece of steel, to expand it. I put a piece in my benchrest vise to hammer against. It stretches it enough lengthwise to seat primers fully.

Boolit Man
    My round tray primer tool still works but the hole in the plastic where the primer rod goes up and down is getting oblong. U have to go slow when priming. This is on the small primer tray. The large primer tray is still good a lot less use . The small primer tray had loaded at least 10,000 to 15,000 rounds