PBcastcoTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: 1892 Winchester barrels

Super Moderator

1892 Winchester barrels

..............Green Mountain seems to be a shadow of what they once were. So where do you go for a replacement barrel these days?

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    It isn't so much that the "are a shadow of what they once were," quite to the contrary, they have increased their production capacity and are involved in military production.

I'm sure if you wanted to order enough Winchester '92 .44-40 barrels to refit the Ottoman Cavalry they would be happy to do so.

Money talks...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    What are you looking for exactly? I have a 44 caliber Green Mountain barrel for the 92. P.M. me if interested

I don't know if they still sell to the public, but years ago I bought a barrel from Rossi and fit it easily to a 92 Winchester

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have made more than a few 92 barrels and may have a couple GM octagon blanks on the shelf. Most customers don't care for the slow twist that GM uses on their 44-40 and 38-40 rifle barrels. Shilan has a 1 in 20 twist 44 cal. which may be a bit fast for a rifle barrel. I would like to see a 44 with 1 in 28 to 1 in 32. The original Winchester 44 has a 1 in 36 twist.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Old-Win View Post
    What are you looking for exactly? I have a 44 caliber Green Mountain barrel for the 92. P.M. me if interested
    ...............My thanks for the reply. What I have is a Rossi 92 with a 45 Colt x 24" octagon barrel. With some loads it's acceptably accurate. It's barrel slugs .446" x .450", so it is tight but the grooves are only .002" deep. With quite a few cast boolit loads at 1000 fps or more accuracy suffers and I get leading in the first 4" or so of the barrel. That's with alloys up to 18 bhn. I thought I'd like to replace it with a barrel bore more within 'common' dimensions. I would also turn it half round, as I like that look

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

What about a reline job?
    The half round barrel will look great- we've seen your work!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

John Taylor ++++++1

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..............Green Mountain seems to be a shadow of what they once were. So where do you go for a replacement barrel these days?

.............Buckshot
    Order 1000+ barrels and they will make them.

They make barrels for many, many manufacturers. Many parts supplies. In fact more than any other barrel maker.

It is a money problem. That is why so many muzzleloader barrel makers are around today. There is not enough demand to keep a plant open for two or three shifts. They make what sells and keeps the employees paid with benefits by the way with no unions.

The original owner was not only a winning BP competitor but IMHO very acute in the business. He built the company up and merged with Knight Rifles. Knight was a bunch of assemblers not gun makers IMHO. All the barrels and CNC actions was by GM and the original owners.

When Knight rifles made a presentation rifle for Shocky I was a partner in the company that commercially blued all GM barrels. We refused to blue that rifle for the poor gun smithing on it. Rounded corners on a tapered octagon barrel said BUBBA!

Our shop fixed it for them.

The owner now had been the plant manager through 2 corporate owners and knows what he is doing buying it from the last corporate raider.

I have a lot of respect for Rick the owner. Note the last corporate owner dumped out weeks after the shooting in Connecticut.

Another reason to hate big Corps IMHO.
    Last edited by Geezer in NH; 09-25-2017 at 09:20 PM.