MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a handgun out of state

Boolit Master

Paper Puncher
    Since the 1968 GCA it has been officially illegal for personal sale of a handgun to cross state lines. Originally long guns were the same way. No sales across state lines of any gun. The law was relaxed about 1990 or so to allow long guns.
    Though still illegal there are many handguns sold in this manner, The law is simply impossible to enforce.

Boolit Man
    I notifyed the Maryland State Police of the court case above. Their response was until ATF notifies them of the change, they require all handguns purchased out of state of Maryland to be shipped to a local Maryland FFL. The hold up is the ATF which is going to be a hard nut to crack to get them to release an official statement unless ordered by a court order.
    Last edited by mdhillbilly1; 09-22-2017 at 01:44 PM.

In Remembrance
    I assume (could very well be wrong) if a seller steps across the state line and sells a person a handgun in a ftf deal, at least the buyer would be legal with this goofy law.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I assume (could very well be wrong) if a seller steps across the state line and sells a person a handgun in a ftf deal, at least the buyer would be legal with this goofy law.
    The person can only legally sell a handgun across state lines to an FFL Dealer.

Consider if you purchase a handgun from an individual from Pennsylvania and sells it to someone just over the Maryland line to another individual.

Then you get a knock on your door by police wanting to search your home. They find the handgun that they were given a tip about that the ballistics matches a murder case in Pennsylvania. The original owner could have called it in stating his gun was stolen.

This is just one example of why handguns need to go from an PA FFL Dealer to MD FFL Dealer that would had proved when you had received the firearm from the dealer.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by mdhillbilly1 View Post
    The person can only legally sell a handgun across state lines to an FFL Dealer.

Consider if you purchase a handgun from an individual from Pennsylvania and sells it to someone just over the Maryland line to another individual.

Then you get a knock on your door by police wanting to search your home. They find the handgun that they were given a tip about that the ballistics matches a murder case in Pennsylvania. The original owner could have called it in stating his gun was stolen.

This is just one example of why handguns need to go from an PA FFL Dealer to MD FFL Dealer that would had proved when you had received the firearm from the dealer.

If a guy flys up here and brings his hand gun, would it be legal for me to buy it from him? I assume it would be.

By your example, why should you only be concerned about hand guns?

Boolit Grand Master

In the example above it would apply equally to long guns. If you're truly worried then use a FFL. But this only applies if a 4473 has ever been filled out. That's where the trail ends. So even if a gun was originally purchased on one and then sold multiple times FTF they have no way of tracing it. And since FTF is legal in most states there is nothing they can do about it.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    If a guy flys up here and brings his hand gun, would it be legal for me to buy it from him? I assume it would be.

By your example, why should you only be concerned about hand guns?
    The majority of crimes are committed by handguns per FBI Data. Their is very few if any long guns involved in reported crimes. The few long guns that might be used for crimes are used for professional hits.

Boolit Grand Master

Buying a handgun out of state

Quote Originally Posted by mdhillbilly1 View Post
    The majority of crimes are committed by handguns per FBI Data. Their is very few if any long guns involved in reported crimes. The few long guns that might be used for crimes are used for professional hits.

True, but you're overlooking the fact that in your other post you were worried about a firearm being traced to you. If that's the case you would want to CYA and transfer all guns through a FFL.

I won't get into the specifics of state laws w/ the two you chose. I'm more concerned about those than the federal ones when it comes to handguns. MD has a registry and PA has "sales records".

In Remembrance
    The law is asinine as far as I am concerned. if ftf is legal in one state, then the buyer moves to another state and decides to sell , then is sold again, and again in several different states, what does the law accomplish??

Boolit Grand Master

It's an antiquated law. FTF handgun sales in PA are supposed to go through a FFL. Most ignore this. Especially w/ guns that were bought before the "sales record". That was the concession when we got rid of waiting periods.

In Remembrance
    I would imagine the state to state ftf law is ignored pretty regular too, seems like unless caught in the act it would be tough to prove.

Boolit Man
    Their was a court case that reversed the law allowing sales of handguns across state lines. We contacted the ATF and Maryland State Police that I provided the federal court decision.

They both responded that they had not received official documentation on the decision. The ATF stated unless you would get several congressmen to push the court decision. They do not see the law officially changing at the ATF.

Banned
    mdhillbilly1,

That is another EXCELLENT reason to ABOLISH the BATFE (and all but a total of 2 federal LE agencies). = We need over 80 (the last time that I counted) federal LE agencies with special agents like we all need an aggressive cancer. = This is one of the MANY massive wastes of taxpayer's $$$$$$$$.
    (Each of those LE agencies has its own administrative support personnel, command structure, payroll office, procurement office & any number of other needless duplications that cost taxpayers MILLIONS of $$$$$$$ for NO legitimate reason.)

Note: Just before I retired in 2006, the GAO "bean-counters" published an internal review that between 20-25% of all federal funds were lost to FRAUD, WASTE or simply STOLEN.
    (The BHO maladministration reportedly ordered the internal review to be destroyed, less than 60 days after they learned of its existence.)

I recommend keeping the US Marshals Service & the USPS LE folks (as those are the 2 oldest federal police agencies) & ABOLISHING all the other agencies.
    (It makes ZERO functional difference WHICH badge/credential that a LEO carries.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 10-16-2017 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12