RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxPBcastcoLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self guided elk adventure advice thread

Boolit Buddy

Self guided elk adventure advice thread

Little background info on my hunting buddies and I, we do self guided duck hunts all over the US. Usually a week but sometimes a long weekend, we go into an area blind and scout our butts off and hunt like fools usually put in days of leg work for one or two good mornings of hunting. Basically what I'm trying to say is we ain't afraid to work for our hunts.

Now that being said we want to do a self guided elk hunt out west, probably a week long but maybe more depending. My question is for people who live out that way or have done something similar to what we plan, and basically is it doable?

What state should we target and or what is the best piece of public land, best time of year ect?

Not looking for a handout here just some general guidelines and advice. I personally would be happy with a cow, no wants for a mount mainly want the experience.

Pic for attention Okalohama 2016...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Will be interested to hear also. I have read that Colorado has the largest herd, just not trophy's and tags can be bought over the counter. This is what I have heard... I would like to do a couple hunts before I get to old and stove up to go. I will keep checking back.

Boolit Master

take a good look at the Sept-Oct issue of Montana Outdoors

http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    take a good look at the Sept-Oct issue of Montana Outdoors

http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/

Have it right here beside me....but getting drawn for Montana is not that easy. I got drawn for Mulie's this year, then found out they canceled elk in the area I am going ( Fergus/Petroleum Counties). I would have been a bit miffed if I had put in for Elk

Banned

it's doable in most places out here.
    most are draws to get tags and you have to be careful of some units.
    they like to sell 650 tags in areas that are totally weather dependent and have safe pathways through private property.
    you can squeeze in between some of those property's up to state land but you need to know how to get there, and it's a long way around the mountain range finding that 1 little access.

In Remembrance
    It has been years since I have been there, but it used to be that in New Mexico you would list 4 choices on your application to draw a tag. Now it used to be if you put any hunt four your last choice, you DREW a COW tag pretty much every time. If things haven't changed and a group of guys listed a cow for their first choice, more than likely all of them would get one.
    South of datil and quemada and all down through the Gila used to have lots of elk.

The best advice I have to see LOTS of elk, is go during deer season, you pretty much have to kick them out of the way while deer hunting. lol

The country I am talking about (do not remember the units) is very friendly for diy hunts, lots of public land, if you go into the wilderness it is walk in only.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    ....but getting drawn for Montana is not that easy. I got drawn for Mulie's this year,
    where? when?

Colorado Elk

Colorado can be good but beware of the areas that have large numbers of left over draw tags. In most units they are a scam by the CPW to lure in unknowing hunters. Most of those areas have low numbers of elk and limited public access, or the elk are still up in the high country when the high volume season is on. Example areas 16, 161, 17, 171 (North park area around Walden) 2 years ago 1700+ left over tags and the elk were not down on to the reserve (in the park) until after Thanksgiving. Over the counter tags are mostly for Bull and in Colorado that means 4 points on one side or more and on public land that can be a challenge.

I look at an over the counter bull tags as having the same odds of hitting a progressive jackpot on a penny machine with a 50 cent play, and it only costs me $40.00. Out of state tags are in excess of $644 (but you get a fishing license too). If you want more info here is a link. http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/BigGame.aspx

Don't mean to sound like a sourpuss on Colorado but you just need to be aware of the CPW's tricks. Do a lot of research on herd sizes, and harvest results for the area you are looking at. That can all be found on this link. http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pa...stics-Elk.aspx

I did not draw an elk tag this year but got a doe tag so will spend 2 weeks in elk camp relaxing and fishing. Hope is snows 2 feet. Life is good.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy

Minerat is correct.
    Clyde
    COL USA RET

Duck country is a lot more accessible than elk country, and scouting for elk is not very doable in the few days that you mention.

Barring a source (paid guide or very knowledgeable and generous local mentor) of detailed local knowledge, I'd look on yours as a multiyear adventure. Your first seasons will, barring shear luck, be about learning and adapting to the country and scouting. And give yourselves as much time each season as you can.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Give yourself two weeks. Maybe even scout for a week before buying or putting in for a tag. Take a fishing pole if you are going this time of the year.
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Man
    Some friends and I did that about 10 years ago. Colorado elk. Much easier to go for muzzle loader season as its still fairly warm and you need a bit less supplies. We slept in tents with warm sleeping bags. Took water and food along. There is a ton of national forest. We saw elk the first year but came home empty handed. The next year we got 3/4 tags filled, then 4/5, 2/3, 2/3 and 2/3. We always helped each other get the meat back to camp and shade the meat. We took a freezer and generator so we kept our meat cool and bug free. Have also had a couple Montana antelope hunts with my brother and we never came home with a tag unfilled. These trips are very doable for not much money. You also have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

I'm on the right side of the country so can offer little advice....if you can find it....Tred Barta did a self guided elk hunt with his long bow in Colorado. He gave a lot of good advice as to going about it. He found a great spot with good sign and little pressure....didn't connect with one but saw lots of small bull elk. I know it's Tred Barta...he's is who he is but he offers great advice.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm listening guys keep it coming, any suggestions on bare minimum guide services are welcome.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know if you all have thought of this but how about a drop camp
    outfitter takes you out and drops you in good elk country and you hunt on your own
    use their horses and tents and other supplies but its not a guided hunt
    i have done this and its well worth the expense
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Don't bother coming to Oregon there are few areas with general season tags. The area I hunt is general season i.e. an over the counter tag, but the average success rate is 3% we beat that by a long margin but only because I've hunted the same area for over 50 years. Where ever you decide to go plan on the first year or two as scouting trips with only a small chance of bagging an elk. Be careful if you do get an elk as it almost always leads to a bad case of "elk fever" and there is no known cure, you just have to keep hunting them.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I don't know if you all have thought of this but how about a drop camp
    outfitter takes you out and drops you in good elk country and you hunt on your own
    use their horses and tents and other supplies but its not a guided hunt
    i have done this and its well worth the expense
    Yes I have considered this any suggestions for a good service to use?

Boolit Master
    You might look at Nevada but non-res. tags are expensive and drawing is similar to hitting the above mentioned progressive jackpot unless you choose your weapon and zone carefully. Some years back when I drew a mule deer muzzleloader tag and went solo into my area a few days before my season but during archery elk season, I was shocked at how few archers were around even though score able bugling bulls gathering cows were in sight always at close range (under 100 yards). A friend drew a similar tag two years ago at my suggestion to the same area and he made the same observation. Both of us were in sight of our vehicles too. The key was apparently not to hunt where conventional wisdom (or the TV shows) sent the Nevada hunters. Also some years back I had breakfast with a guide in the Tonopah area during a xctry ski adventure who made the remarkable statement that it was easier to find a 400 class bull in his area than a 180 class mule deer so charges accordingly. BTW - My friend and I both got score able bucks after the unforgettable experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    where? when?
    Fergus County, November 14th to 20th. Those are rough dates. We pull out of Florida on the 10th, figuring 3 1/3 days of driving..each way

Banned
    If you:

1. Are not in top physical condition
    2. Are not under 40
    3. Don't have horses or a gang to pack in and out
    4. Have not stalked big game, knowing all that involves.
    5. Don't own all the high country gear you will need.

Do it yourself is very hard, usually unsuccessful and potentially dangerous.

A good outfitter is worth every penny unless you just want a walk about.

Been there done that both ways. Happy to drive a 16 year old truck and spend the difference on outfitted hunts.

One of the best in my area, going sheep hunting with Dustin in 2 weeks !

http://www.trophymountainoutfitters.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast