RotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationADvertise here
Graf & SonsLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Targets, diy splatter & download sites

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    I guess I am a little dense, but I am having problems following those instructions, seem to be several different ones ran together. Tell me if I am getting this straight:

You choose a backing paper the color you like, then coat it with some sort of sticky paper or tape, then spray paint a color other than the backing?

Do you have to use sticky paper/tape over the backing or could you just glue a different color sheet on top and omit the paint?

Thanks,

Rosewood
    Yes! to the bolded question. That is how it is done.

The OP, Grmps, is currently, "unavailable" to comment, so I will give it a try as I have been using these for some time now.

You have to use the "sticky" layer( I use tape currently)& not another piece of poster board because it is the impact of the projectile that "tears" the painted tape when it makes a hole & the paint flakes off around the hole to show the background colored poster board to see the impact point.

Using just another layer of poster board would likely only show you the hole in the front poster board, and perhaps just a bit of the back one, since there is no paint to flake & you would be basically just punching holes in a thicker" target. That paint layer is held on to the "sticky" tape/sheet, but does not adhere to it like it would if you painted the porous paper, so it readily "flakes" around the point of impact showing the backing poster board color thru the now "cleared of paint" tape in a generally circular shape unless you have a tumbling projectile.

Examples from a couple posts back on the results:
    https://i.imgur.com/iUnQ9ii.jpg

Left side in this one is a very good example of what is happening as well:
    https://i.imgur.com/ueRtKkd.jpg

I hope that answers your question(s).

Of course, you can certainly try out using two different colored sheets, but I am pretty sure you will want to use the colored sheet, sticky tape/sheet & paint layer method. It really does work well, IMO.

G'Luck!
    "If ya don't like my gate, ya don't have to swing on the hinges..." - L. Ackerman ( RIP)
    "A man ought ta do what he thinks is best" - "Hondo" Lane.(John Wayne)

Boolit Master
    That definitely clears it up. You explained the theory. I can work with that. Thanks!!

I did notice the OP is currently "unavailable", but was hoping someone else would chime in.
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

I bought some red glitzy wrapping paper at Dollar Tree. I plan on spray gluing it to cardboard then covering it with spray glue. The last layer will be plastic wrap over the spray glue then paint it black. Scribe the target on the black paint. Am I on track, not using the same materials as recommended?
    Looking for a Lee 6 cav handle
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    Grmps,

Great posts and explanations.

I have followed pretty much the same process that you have explained, but I use craft paper on a roll that I bought at a craft store and adhesive carpet protector from home store. Both are 24 inches wide and 50 foot roll. You can do as big a length as you have a table to lay out and then cut to size. Much cheaper and faster than tape or shelf paper, but same process.

What I am not smart enough to grasp is how you are putting the circles and cross lines on the black targets. Is this a white marker on the compass or ?? Can you please post exactly what the pen is.

Thanks for a great post.

Jackpine

Boolit Master
    I believe it is a silver sharpie (not white).
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Master
    I asked Grmps about this back in Oct of last year. He sent me this pic & a link to the compass. You can see the sharpies he uses in the top of the pic...

amazon has a stand-alone compass I use

Staedtler Geometry Compass (550 65 A6) $5.49 PRIME

https://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-Geo...%3A+56635-1001
    I am hoping Grmps will return shortly.
    "If ya don't like my gate, ya don't have to swing on the hinges..." - L. Ackerman ( RIP)
    "A man ought ta do what he thinks is best" - "Hondo" Lane.(John Wayne)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12