Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Rehydrate Dried Out Cigars?

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Rehydrate Dried Out Cigars?

Because of life, I let my cigars go they are dried out.

Anyone Rehydrate Dried Out Cigars?

The cigar store said mist-spray them with distilled water.
    Let them sit 10min then dry them-it and smoke.
    Seem like, not a lot of time!
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    I have not had good luck rehydrating.
    I would not mist them, if they are too wet they may come apart.
    I would put them in the humidor with a heavy dose of moisture for quite some time, and try to let them absorb moisture content slowly.
    Another decent way is to take a plastic cigar wrapper and insert a wet cotton ball into the wrapper, then put that plus a few cigars in a ziplock baggie.
    You want the cigars to be exposed to moisture, but not actually touch water.

Boolit Master
    A trip to the Virgin Islands this week should do the trick. But then you might be asking how to dry them.

Boolit Master

Put them in a zip lock,add a slice of apple or two.Give it a day or so.That's the way my granddad did his pipe tobacco and I keep a slice in my humidor.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Grand Master

A week in the humidor for every day out of it. If you've left them out for a month or more, don't be surprised if they never come back.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

I buy almost all of my cigars online and, despite careful packaging by my favorite vendor, they inevitably arrive a little on the dry side so I remove the outer packaging, leaving the cigars in their individual wrappers, and place them in a humidor for a couple weeks before putting a flame to them. If the outer wrappers of your cigars are still intact and not cracked/flaking, they might be salvageable. You can jury-rig a serviceable humidor using large Tupperware container and a piece of wet sponge in a small container (margarine tub?) of bottled water. Put 'em in the Tupperware with the wet sponge (in its open container) and put on the Tupperware lid. Leave it for a couple weeks at indoor temperature before lighting up one of your smokes and, if they're still too dry for your taste, refresh the wet sponge and give 'em another week or two before tossing 'em out.

Last weekend, I ran across a very nice cedar humidor at an estate sale and, when I opened it, I almost wept. It was 2/3 full of high quality cigars...all (literally!!) dessicated to extinction. Seller said it had belonged to an uncle who died last year and until she and her aunt had cleaned out his workshop for the sale, no one had opened it since he past away.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 09-18-2017 at 07:10 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I have a ceramic hydrator disc in a aluminum casing that I use to rehydrate dried out tobacco. You should be able to find something like this at a tobacco shop. The apple core in a plastic bag trick does work very nicely. Orange peels also work well. Only possible difficulty is when the tobacco takes on a fruity flavor, but it never bothered me.

Boolit Grand Master

Put them in a Tupperware container with lid. Form a small bowl out of tin foil. Put a small chunk of soaking wet sponge (water) in the tin foil. Put sliced apples, slices of oranges or whatever if you want a slight flavor to the cigars. You need moisture to rehydrate the cigars; the more cigars and drier they are the more moisture is needed to hydrate.

Seal the lid on and put in refrigerator making sure the sponge or fruit are not touching the cigars. Put on a windowsill will rehydrate faster but watch out for mould.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Smell them. If you smell mold throw them out. If clean tobacco rehydrate - I like the fruit flavor or a little whiskey in the water.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    A Herco clay instrument humidifier is a cheap and simple way to keep the humidity up without the mold issue.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

No idea about cigars, but when my pipe tobacco gets to dry I leave it outside on a humid night with the lid off and by morning it's right back to how I like it for smoking.

works well for pipe tobacco, not sure about cigars.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    I have good luck re-hydrating cigars by raising the humididy slowly. If you go too fast the cigar will swell and crack the wrapper, if that happens they are toast.
    jim

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    dpend son the tobacco. not all tobacco is tobacco.

MOST pipe tobacco, say borkum riff and captain black, and similar Lane pipe tobacco, has so much propylene glycol, that it CANT dry out.
    but then what I smoke is Half & Half and Prince Albert!

Regarding the "can't dry out", try it after 10 years after sitting on the shelf, YUP Borkum Riff & Captain black can and does dry out, believe me I know!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice