MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permanently marking cases????

Banned

Permanently marking cases????

Is there a way to permanently mark a case that won’t come of in cleaning/polishing or damage the case?

Like when converting 9x19 into 9x18

Just got a 9x18 Mak and would like to find a visual way to quickly & easily differentiate between the 2 cases.

Boolit Buddy
    Interested as well. So far I was just putting my ammo in a box and running straight line with sharpie across the row of rounds. It would help me but if anyone else would pick up my brass that might lead to some unplesantries, cause it's still factory marked as 9x19.

I saw someone mark his cases by filing a nick in the case rim. I don't like the idea, but it works & is permanent.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a moto-tool to lightly disfigure the caliber markings.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Way back then we were several shooting Swedish 12,7x44R and all using 348WIN brass.
    I Dremeled mine like this.
    Attachment 204254

Banned
    This is what I've found so far, maybe the vinegar is permanent I don't know yet.
    Vinegar, vinegar/salt didn't work

I read that ammonia will weaken brass and could cause cracking

Has anyone tried this?
    "When I was studying metalsmithing years ago, we used to use something called liver of sulphur to blacken brass. It's available through jewelry supply houses like Rio Grande in New Mexico. I think I also found that cold gun blue applied with steel wool will also turn brass black. I haven't done it in awhile but I think I warmed the brass a bit as well."

DIY brass marker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I1GwXwbIr0

How to mark your Bullet Brass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3yoQSFps84

Bullet "Brass Marker" by Mr Shooter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRBLJ84f9zQ

Dykem steel layout fluid case marking trick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT-TJu5xVEo

Brass marker uspsa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gsnpotV3po

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVTuawysm30

I am looking for a way to permanently mark the cases.

I don't have a lathe to

I am looking for a chemical to permanently blacken/discolor the brass without damaging it
    Last edited by Grmps; 09-30-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

For some cases a simple fixture could be made and the caliber stamp Xed out with a appropriate sized metal stamp. In the case of 9X18 a number 8 stamp might blend well enough to turn a 9 into an 8 even. My reformed cases are enough different from the parent cases head stamp it is obvious (357 Herret, a 6.5mm wildcat that's shortened 300 wsm case a few 243s from 308). The ones I'm more concerned about are the ones Ive converted from large primer pockets to small primer pockets. And some 38s that are now large pistol with enlarged flash holes for wax bullet loads. Modifying cases can be an issue when they leave your control.

Boolit Master
    Use a vibration type engraving pen to wipe out the 9mm on the head stamp. I use only mill headstamp w/o the 9x19 on it for my mak coveted cases

Boolit Master
    Birchwood Casey's "Brass Black", applied to head stamp will hold up to numerous tumblings.

Winelover

Banned
    My thrown together case marker.
    found a 7/8 x 1 1/4 x 6 1/2 scrap (you could get by with 4 1/2)
    bored/drilled a 1/2 inch hole 4 1/2 in to hold the marker
    drilled a 7/16 in the side to insert and twist the cartridge {you can deepen this hole to adjust where it marks on the case}
    [I cut 1/4 off the top to make it easier to hold/twist short 9x19 MAK]
    drilled a pilot hole and threaded in a thumb screw to hold the marker

the marked cartridges

I know, I have to grind the boolit seating plug some more
    Lee boolit and Lee plug 15 BHN lead, you think they would match
    Last edited by Grmps; 09-24-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Over the years I have cut a very shallow rounded cut through the headstamps on the cases I have converted. It's done on the lathe and makes a bulls eye marking on the head removing the original stamps. You don't have a problem remembering what the round is for. The toolman.

Boolit Grand Master

Years ago a guy at work bought a 1000 rds of 7.62 nato surpluss that had the headspace removed in the above manner. Not sure why. It was berdan primed so reloading them was never an issue.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JMtoolman View Post
    Over the years I have cut a very shallow rounded cut through the headstamps on the cases I have converted. It's done on the lathe and makes a bulls eye marking on the head removing the original stamps. You don't have a problem remembering what the round is for. The toolman.
    Like this:
    Attachment 204584

Banned

I don't have a lathe to

I am looking for a chemical to permanently blacken/discolor the brass without damaging it
    Last edited by Grmps; 09-30-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post

I don't have a lathe to

Thats easy!
    Stop polishing your brass and it will become dark and grimy fast.
    And as long as you dont tumble it will stay that way.

If you want permanent and tumble then you have to Dremel a mark of some sort.
    Like this.
    Attachment 204729

Is purchasing Starline brass out of the question? Midways sells 100 for $17.49.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Is purchasing Starline brass out of the question? Midways sells 100 for $17.49.
    You can get 500 pcs for $87.5 shipped @ Starline.com

I've already converted over 1000 9x19 into 9x18. Thought I'd save a buck and get thicker cases. (plus I have a ton of 9x19 brass)

I'll keep doing the marker thing until I find/hear of something better.

17nut "Thats easy!
    Stop polishing your brass and it will become dark and grimy fast.
    And as long as you dont tumble it will stay that way."

Your name says it all

I worked up loads with BE from 2.2 grns to 4.3

2.3grn was a sweet plinking load, cycled well, little recoil and good accuracy. YMMV with your gun

Over 3 grns acts like +P, with the 4.3 I wish I had a padded grip

Boolit Grand Master

Birchwood case used to have a brass black for sale. It was the same size bottle as the bluing, waxs and finishes. Not sure if its still available or not as I havent seen it on the shelf in years. I might do what your looking for. I would try it on a few cases first to be sure it dosnt cause brittleness or other problems.

A Wilson case trimer can be used to remove the head stamp also. but it does thin the rims and changes headspace on already converted cases. I did this on some 7mm tcu but did it before resizing it. If I remember I had to take .005 or so to pretty much remove the head stamp on that brass. Insert case in case holder and set in trimmer with case mouth against the stop and use the cutter to wipe out the case head stamp.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Birchwood case used to have a brass black for sale. It was the same size bottle as the bluing, waxs and finishes. Not sure if its still available or not as I havent seen it on the shelf in years. I might do what your looking for. I would try it on a few cases first to be sure it dosnt cause brittleness or other problems.
    Still available. eBay works, if local sources fail.

For quite some time I've brass blacked the case heads of certain calibers, to identify ones I've prepped. I've never had problems with brittleness or anything like that.

I haven't tried blacking the sides of a case. (Too much work.)

Boolit Grand Master

I have made a simple wood case holder that clamps to an angle plate and a quick clamp to latch the holder. I set this up in the drill press and with a modified center drill. ( one I broke the tip off and reground to a flat point) I simply cut a thin 3/32 flat circle behind the caliber designation to denote prepped brass. Once set up it dosnt take long to run a bunch of brass thru. The dot is simple and quick visual reference to whats been done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast