RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Recently acquired some old powder..

Boolit Master

Recently acquired some old powder..

So this weekend I was given several sealed cans of older powder.. I'm thinking 60's and 70's era stuff.

Hodgdon H570
    Winchester 630P
    Winchester 680 BR
    Winchester 760 BR
    Hodgdon BL-C (not 2)

Hercules 2400.. (two different can color schemes and wound paper can with metal top/bottom).
    Hodgdon H4831 in paper can with a rusty metal top/bottom, not sealed.. maybe 2-3 inches left. The powder inside smelled and looked fine, the rust appears to only be on the outside of the can.

Please discuss what these can be used for.. there was a note on the H570 to use H870 data..

I also purchased a friend's lifetime collection of reloading components/books, etc.. looking through a few of those old books and a few of the above powders were listed. I've just not had the time to go through them.. One of the books was "Hatcher's Handbook" or "Hatcher's Notes" (whatever the title was, I'd seen the name before somewhere).

Boolit Master

Last edited by skeettx; 09-18-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    I might already have it.. I wanted some opinions from you guys though

Boolit Master

GREAT powders, can be used for many cartridges
    For which cartridges would you like data?
    I have the old Winchester data pamphlets
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    At the moment, I'd prefer to find someone local to me who has been looking for these for some time.. I really don't have the types of cartridges that these powders would be ideal for except maybe the BL-C. I like the cans and want to keep them, but the powder I would be happy to sell to someone who wants it.

Boolit Grand Master
    IIRC, H570 was the hot powder for 7 mm mags, back in the day, 630p was a ball powder about like blue dot, useful in magnum revolver cartridges for slightly less than peak performance. 630 was also a very good powder for accuracy in low-mid velocity, light weight, cast boolit loads in the smaller 30 cals (30-30, 308 up to the 30-06). 680p was for small rifle cases like the 22 hornet, 30 carbine and 218 bee. 760 BR was a good powder for any of the WWI size military cartridges or their commercial derivatives--think 30-06, 270 Win, 280 Rem, 8mm Mauser etc. BL-C was the military surplus version of BL-C2, and had the same uses, but there were reports that the civilian C2 version had a slightly different burn rate. Some folks doted on it for jacketed 308 loads.

Lyman Cast book hand book #3 has load data for most of these for cast while Speer #10 has Jacketed data.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Thank you rtinglen

Since I acquired the above, I've come into some Dupont Pistol #6 also.. I've been digging into that data as well.