Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "Drawing a line" on how much to keep on hand. (re: Ammo & Reloading supplies)

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not worry about codes. But I do not keep any primers or powder in the house.

When I run out of space, I will put up another building.

BTW, most places do not require a permit to put up a 10x10 shed. Put it in a shady spot and fill it up.

I do not like lines....I color outside the line.
    Don Verna

After starting to hunt and shoot as an adult just before the '13 panic started, I learned my lesson quickly. I feel like I came to this relatively late in life, so I don't want to miss opportunities in the future due to political stupidity or panics. So I am stocking up and I wanted to learn to cast to avoid problems in the future. I have a little more stocking up to do before the next election, and eventually I will buy a muzzleloader and study up on making homemade powder.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    To brewer12345 I would suggest a flint lock as percussion caps might be hard to come by and not sure where to get sulfur. But I do know that matches work really good as a slow burning powder but are hard on a barrel. As to the original question I try to keep enough for me my kids my grandkids and any family not smart enough to stock up. Since I am not sure how much that is I am sure I do not have enough yet. Plus bing retired I really enjoy casting and reloading. When it isn't fun any more I will have enough until then just keep reloading.

Boolit Master
    I really appreciate seeing the posts about this subject. It gives me, and others, an idea of the different outlooks that folks have about what they are thinking & doing, as well as how others look at the situations regarding how much folks might want to keep on hand & what they are willing to chance that they may have trouble finding what they want/ need for supplies due to the changing political climate & other such impacts on availability of components.

So, far it has been informative for me, at least.
    Thanks again for the input!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Something like this should do it

This pic has always made me so wonder if the ammo cans are full. And if it's really cans stacked on top of each other. The cost of the cans alone is quite high. Let alone any ammo that's in them. Even if it's a staged pic someone has money tied up in ammo cans

Thing about self sufficiency for "zombie apocalypse" or supply in the face of government restriction is it presumes we would use our supplies in same way we currently do. I expect if the components or ammo became scarce we would be more judicious in using our existing supplies. Unlikely to do range time and burn through ammo for pleasure if we doubted we would be able to replace it.

It may well be those ammo boxes are photoshop or could be from a reseller who buys in bulk for resale at gun shows or through online sales.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    This pic has always made me so wonder if the ammo cans are full. And if it's really cans stacked on top of each other. The cost of the cans alone is quite high. Let alone any ammo that's in them. Even if it's a staged pic someone has money tied up in ammo cans
    Or they are selling them, got a good deal -- surplus

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    This is a good question that I have not figured out my answer to...yet.

I'm trying to have 500+ rounds for my assorted pistols, just so I can concentrate on one round and make a bunch without having to stop because I have none for my .38 etc.

I'm soon to be 48. I hope to shoot a LOT more when the kids are out of the house and then when I can retire. So, I am not really passing up anything if the opportunity and the funds are available. Most of the things we use will last for decades if stored properly. I hope to be able to pass any left overs on to a grandchild some day.

give the man a prize.
    Guns, ammo, reloading equipment & supplies are a good investment.

When has a quality firearm ever depreciated in value?

If/when the feces hits the fan what will be of value? gold, jewels, money won't be able to protect you or put food on your table.

Boolit Master
    limited here to whats on your licence eg 1000 max each cartridge I have on licence to shoot .

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    limited here to whats on your licence eg 1000 max each cartridge I have on licence to shoot .
    See that is the nice part about reloading components can become different cartridges. If that Unique powder is going into shotgun shells its not going to count for as many as it will make in pistol rounds.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

I worked with inventory control for quite a few years. In my loading room I only have a general idea of the inventory on hand and I have no desire to quantify it. Inventory control is my vocation and I have no desire to do it at home. THAT'S where I draw the line.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I worked with inventory control for quite a few years. In my loading room I only have a general idea of the inventory on hand and I have no desire to quantify it. Inventory control is my vocation and I have no desire to do it at home. THAT'S where I draw the line.
    LOL

Last sentence sums your situation up nicely. I like it. Good one!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    This is the situation that concerns me a bit. I can understand your plight & hope they don't try that here. That would be one of the next steps that would be tried, IMO.

Calif. is one that has outlawed lead projectiles as I understand it. Just one of the components of our craft. If the focus turns to components, then where one "draws the line", can significantly change I am thinkin'. It does not have to be "availability" so much, even though the thought of such controls makes me think folks would "make a "run" on components creating a rush for them so folks can be "grandfathered" in what they already have. But, that would not only make the cost go up, but also create part of the situation RogerDat mentioned earlier in post#66 about changes in usage habits depending on where one "draws the line".

I do not keep "inventory" too accurately, just offhandedly know what I have & can afford to get/replace. Although I think I would do some sort of assessment should the "winds of change" in efforts to control, swing to that regulation of the components rearing up.

I intend to continue to add as I can , since I am on a limited budget for such things, so I do not think I have really drawn a line in regard to where I stop in gathering components. I think I may have a bit of a line on what I have "assembled". That is pretty much where I left it before, IIRC. With now pretty much only making more when the ones I make are fired, & for testing other components for future info/knowledge of their combinations. Then replacing as I go, but not significantly changing what I currently have on hand.

My mind is not "made up" yet & that is why I appreciate the replies here.

Thanks again for sharing!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

When you look at your stash and consider it will last you a lifetime. then it's just enough.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    That's somebody that bought a few pallets of surplus cans at a Gov auction. I buy cans from a guy in Colorado Springs that does that, he has mountains of them in all sizes. And everything else the Gov and military sells off.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234