Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
PBcastco Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Drawing a line" on how much to keep on hand. (re: Ammo & Reloading supplies)

Boolit Master
    I try to stay at least one presidential election ahead. I keep a small stash of self defense rounds, but since I primarily target shoot and constantly try new loading ideas, I don't stock much assembled rounds-- I make them up before each shooting trip after I decide what 'experiment' I want to try for that trip. I keep a spreadsheet that totals my inventory of bullets, lead, primers and powder, and tells me when I'm running short of anything. Every time I do a loading session I click the appropriate spot in the spreadsheet for what I am loading, which bullet, which primer, and how many grains of which powder. That way the inventory always stays up to date. My spreadsheet also does a little calculation for each firearm based on what I have in stock and tells me what date I expect to run out for that firearm-- and if that date is not one presidential election ahead I buy whatever I need.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

All I can think of is my best friend's advice on ANYTHING. "Better to have and not need, than to need and not have."
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    If my kids have to wonder what to do after I die, then that means I had enough lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if I could not resupply the first thing that happens is the Semi auto's get hung up. The Yugo SKS gets the gas turned off, turning into a straight pull bolt. Which makes it much easier to find brass. Semi's would be held for home defense use only, and only at inside 50 yard ranges.

And the single shots get to come out to play. Much better IMO to have one well aimed perfectly timed, perfectly placed shot at the right range than to waste 30 rounds down range for the same result.

And yes as long as I managed the primers I have on hand well, and perhaps limited myself to smaller bore. I do believe I could last quite a long long time.

I have a large stash of Red Dot, and I'm working on filling my second .50 cal ammo can with primers. I know for a fact that I have at least 3k of small rifle primers, and enough Red Dot to load all of those. Think it is closer to 5k of large rifle, that is a lot of .30-30 ammo. At least 1500 large pistol primers and 3k small pistol. And 2k plus of shotgun primers. And at that I think I would run out of lead or primers before powder.

Hard to know what a person would need. At my age chances are I won't ever get to shoot them all up. So hopefully I am stashing away treasure for my grandkids.

Or at least whoever inherits my stash will think kindly of me.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    this brings to mind the youtube video I watched where this guy was trying to say the .223 was better then the 7.62x39 because of resupplying in an emergency. well in a emergency there is no resupply. so can you go the rest of your life with out buying another round of ammo ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by therealhitman View Post
    You mean in your glove compartment? Not sure I follow...

Wise man. Stack it deep as ya can. Appropriate storage space becomes the issue. I produce waaaay more than I shoot since I enjoy casting/loading and do something on that bench almost every day, so preparedness (or ridiculous ammo hoarding as SWMBO calls it) needs square footage.

Obligatory meme:

I showed this pic with the text cropped to the missus and told her it was one of you guys. Just to make her feel better. Totally worked.
    Now that is impressive and I thought I was competitive but that photo shows I am not even in the ball park ,I will try harder starting now!

Moderator Emeritus

I could offer up some numbers, of what I think is enough...but everyone's "status" is different, also the status for the same person can and will change. I use to shoot two different summer leagues, I burnt up a lot of pistol ammo as well as rimfire for the rimfire rifle league...that changed.

SO anyway, If I was still in the leagues and I wasn't jaded by national politics (like I am now), I'd want 2K rds of ammo for each League gun and powder/primers/bullets for another 5K.
    >Other handguns, the numbers would be 200 and 500 respectively.
    >Rifles the numbers would be 200 and 200 respectively.

But I'm not in leagues anymore...and because I am jaded by the past shortages caused by politics. I have no numbers to offer. The fact is, there is never enough, the only limiting factors are safe storage space and money.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a couple of pallets of 50 caliber cans right after the first Gulf war started. They came with that same tape on them, indicating that they had been inspected and were empty. A lot of them had red dirt in them. Ft Benning maybe?

I've read threads about inherited ammo and ammo from deceased friends and the amount of trust involved in using it or pulling it down. Made me wonder about some of my stuff as I'm getting older. I think my Sons and close friends trust my stuff enough to use it. These thoughts made me start keeping better records. Every ammo box is now labeled with the load info and date loaded. The bulk stuff in ammo cans is labeled on the outside and has a note inside.

Boolit Master

I generally like to program a year out which gives me plenty of time to find sources. In general, that is 5k 45 ACP, 3K 9mm, 3K 5.56, 2K 308 but I may need to adjust that some as I haven't made my goals in about 5z6 years, not enough free time. Generally for primers I like to keep 10k in Large and Small Pistol each, 2-3 K sml and lrg mag pistol, 2K large rifle match, 5K lrg rifle and 1-2K LRM primers on hand. I have a group of friends and we call one another when putting orders together to get the most out ofmour hazmat fees. Powder is generally 2x8 for each military caliber, 2x8 unique, and ample supply of BE, 2400, BDot, varget and of course 296H110.

For the military cals, 10k of 223 projos and at least 2 to 4k of the 308 147 projos. I generally pick up a box of rifle bullets each trip to the store in the oddballs or each order from a vendor, whatevermismon sale or I want to try. If I find a projo I like i.e. Hordany 50 spsx for varmits I generally lay in 6 boxes in reserve. Factory Ammo is limited to 1-2K for 5.56 and 308 and the same for 45 ACP and generally a short case or carry ammo in 45 ACP. 9mm, 38 & 357 and 10mm is generally 1-2 5 rd boxes at the local cop shop.

22 LR is a case at a time with a brick of this n that thrown in. Generally, when I break into a new case, I'm looking for the deal on my next case.

Boolit Grand Master

I also get a few shooting buddies together for bulk orders. I use Powder Valley and they will mix powder and primers in the same box. Max total weight is 50# which figures to be 47 or 48# in a box. I try to max this out and we split the hazmat and shipping. It usually figures out to be about 50 cents per # of powder or brick of primers. I divide the total shipping by the unit, like a jug of powder, sleeve of primers, 5000 count box of primers, ect. I'll buy powder or primers at a gunshow if its a good price but I can usually order cheaper. I buy bullets when on sale at places like Midway and Sinclair, usually in the 500 round boxes. I do the same thing with brass but I seldom buy new brass except for my custom rifles. Occasionally, I will buy new pistol brass in the calibers that you don't find at the range, like 38 Super, 45 Colt and 44 mag. If you plan ahead you can buy components cheaper than retail.

Boolit Buddy
    After filling up a couple dozen 50 cal ammo cans with reloading components, I switched to 5 gallon buckets/lids. I believe that a "sin" tax is coming sometime in the future. I'll continue to buy when components are on sale.

Boolit Master
    Lots of good info & advice being passed, IMO!

Thanks!

I have been reading them & thinking about a few of the things that have come to mind about "Drawing the Line" on ammo & reloading supplies.
    Certain factors that come into play.

Factors like,
    1. Frequency of shooting ( I.E.-Competitive(Amatuer -Pro), Daily to just Occasional, Hunting, etc.)
    2. Storage Space
    3. Money available
    4. Amount of firearms to shoot
    5. Time available

Of course there are more factors, but these listed seem to be/are "gimmes" or "givens", since all can be applied to anyone involved in storing ammo + reloading supplies. And some factors may, or may not be "Gimmes/Givens" like:

*Social/Political Atmosphere (I.E. - Unrest & upheavals, protests, etc.)*

and

*Geographic location (I.E. - Country of residence, Urban/Rural, etc.)*

but still have an influence on what one keeps around for ammo & reloading supplies, based on what is happening around someone , or whether laws/rules & regulations allow such items.

Another thing to consider is, there most likely are shooters that do not store any ammo & just buy when they want to shoot, and surely there are those shooters who do not reload, but buy ammo & store it, as well as shoot with whatever frequency they desire, from the occasional plinker to the competitive league or pro. shooter. Certainly those who shoot & reload are in between the ends of the spectrum, wherever those ends lie, & puts many of us here, at castboolits.gunloads forum right in the middle somewhere. And to me that is another good reason to ask about this subject, as it is likely to help supply a good "average" of what folks are doing.

I find it interesting to learn what folks think is the right place to "Draw the Line" on ammo & reloading supplies to keep on hand. What folks post may even change some other folks minds about this as they read the posts. Thanks again for sharing your input & I hope to see more!

[BTW, whether someone casts or not, I put casting supplies in with reloading supplies when I am talking about storage, in case someone was confused about that. Since even if one does not cast, they need boolits/bullets to load with & if one wants to cast/swage/etc. their own, they are still part of reloading, IMO.]
    Last edited by JBinMN; 09-19-2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Syntax & spelling. Hope i got everything...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Well if I could not resupply the first thing that happens is the Semi auto's get hung up. The Yugo SKS gets the gas turned off, turning into a straight pull bolt. Which makes it much easier to find brass. Semi's would be held for home defense use only, and only at inside 50 yard ranges.

And the single shots get to come out to play. Much better IMO to have one well aimed perfectly timed, perfectly placed shot at the right range than to waste 30 rounds down range for the same result.

And yes as long as I managed the primers I have on hand well, and perhaps limited myself to smaller bore. I do believe I could last quite a long long time.

I have a large stash of Red Dot, and I'm working on filling my second .50 cal ammo can with primers. I know for a fact that I have at least 3k of small rifle primers, and enough Red Dot to load all of those. Think it is closer to 5k of large rifle, that is a lot of .30-30 ammo. At least 1500 large pistol primers and 3k small pistol. And 2k plus of shotgun primers. And at that I think I would run out of lead or primers before powder.

Hard to know what a person would need. At my age chances are I won't ever get to shoot them all up. So hopefully I am stashing away treasure for my grandkids.

Or at least whoever inherits my stash will think kindly of me
    A Scrap Yard in Missouri had a bunch of scrap lead for sale.
    Grandpa died and the grand kids were selling his stuff!
    The grand kids knew his ammo cans were valuable and they wanted to clean them out so they could sell them for top dollar!
    So the bags of lead shot were cut open and dumped into buckets. The jacketed bullet boxes were cut open and jumped into buckets and sold for about 50 cents a pound.
    You have to save those valuable ammo cans and jump out the trash!

Boolit Master
    It may seem excessive but I keep 50-75 lb of powder on hand , but sometimes I get carried away with loading shot shells , and the 300 Winchester just consumers powder . As far as loaded ammo the handguns and rifles I play with I keep around 2-3000 loaded , but hunting rifle 1-200 will take care of all the shooting and practice needed . Ready to load , I will admit I have a problem " I collect components "

I think how much of what depends a great deal on where your interests in shooting are. Shotgunners can go through an awful lot of ammo, especially if they compete and practice for competition. Prairie dog hunters have been known to shoot several hundred rounds per day. Competition handgun shooters use lots of handgun ammo. The casual shooter may only go through a couple of boxes per year, or even less. Then, there's the fellow who only picks up his rifle upon the arrival of deer season. Hopefully he fires a couple of rounds to assure his zero before heading into the woods, then uses one shot to harvest his deer, and gets 6 or 7 years out of one 20 round box of ammo. Actually, I've known a couple of 20 years per box men who skipped the zero drill. No doubt those who feel the end of the world is imminent will have a supply similar to the photo, and that fulfills their need to feeling secure. I don't find it unwise at all to have a good supply of primers and powder, especially if those components are applicable to a variety of cartridges and calibers like Bullseye, Unique, Red Dot, and 4895. In fact, I'd place more value on having the components than on a large supply of loaded ammunition, because suddenly, through disaster like fire or flooding, through theft, or perhaps intentional sale one may suddenly find themselves without a particular caliber of firearm, a large supply of loaded ammo on hand, and no firearm with which to shoot it. The opposite can also be true, where the ammo is degraded due to exposure as recently experienced by some of our forum brothers caught in the hurricanes. The old saying, "Keep your powder dry" kind of shows where the basic priority exists. So, store the components above flood level!

In my personal case, I would consider myself to have quite a bit of ammo, far more that I am ever likely to use. in some cases I have several boxes of cartridges for calibers I do not and never have owned. But the fact of the matter is that I just plain like to reload ammo, and find it almost therapeutic to be doing something useful with my hands. So over the years I've loaded much more than I've shot, and still have boxes of ammo with loading dates in the '70s and '80s--thankfully most of the '60s stuff is gone. Then, sometimes the odd surplus ammo deal would come along that was irresistible like a case of 9mm Largo, Pakistani .30-06, Turkish 8x57mm, etc., etc., and I'd buy some and put it away for salvage of components or for use in a specific surplus firearm. And while I like to reload, I hate to disassemble already loaded ammo that I loaded, so most aggravating are the many occasions when I loaded 20 or 40 rifle rounds to try out at the range, and when they didn't perform as desired I came back home with 15 or 20 rounds and just put them on a shelf. Well, maybe they'll work out in another rifle, but.. ??

So, I guess my answer is that there really isn't any overall comprehensive answer to your question. It depends on what your shooting interests are and what you perceive your needs to be.
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 09-19-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Why draw a line in shifting sand? If ya find yourself with extra ammo, you need to shoot more. If your reserves shrink below a comfortable level, get busy loading.
    While many feel it's a life and death situation, most see it as a hobby.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

I load for practice and matches just to stay a month or so ahead. Emergency ammo isn't like that. If you wait for the emergency you may not have time to load it up. I had a disturbing dream last night that made me think I need to get back on loading emergency ammo.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    I load for practice and matches just to stay a month or so ahead. Emergency ammo isn't like that. If you wait for the emergency you may not have time to load it up. I had a disturbing dream last night that made me think I need to get back on loading emergency ammo.
    Your intitution is probably right. Only you know the numbers and where your head is on inventory. Trust your sub-conscience and adjust accordingly. Emergencies aren't predictable, and being prepared is different for each individual. Having enough to cover every situation is called hoarding though, and there is never enough.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Moderator Emeritus

I consider 2-300 rounds of handgun ammo an average day at the range. Mine would be adjusted up per caliber. I have ss hunting rifles that I will never need more than 50 pieces of brass for. I have a couple of handguns that if I lost 50 pieces of brass it wouldn't tear me up. Stock what is difficult to replace.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I consider 2-300 rounds of handgun ammo an average day at the range. Mine would be adjusted up per caliber. I have ss hunting rifles that I will never need more than 50 pieces of brass for. I have a couple of handguns that if I lost 50 pieces of brass it wouldn't tear me up. Stock what is difficult to replace.
    Same here, 200-300 is an average day at the range. Even better if I'm shooting my 38's since I don't have to chase down all the brass
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

Back in my younger days as an E-3 in USAF, I'd go shoot up all my loaded rounds except for 6 which I kept loaded in my one revolver for emergencies. Then I'd reload all my brass and do it again. Times sure have changed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast