Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hulls

Boolit Master

I don't recall what you 're shooting but IC will produce wads like that generally a true cylinder bore will not. And not all shotgun barrels are created equal no matter what 's stamped on the barrel. An old brake cylinder hone on a cut-off barrel woked pretty well for me on one gun and a wide open poly choke on another put 3 in a paper plate at 125 yds. Lots and lots of variables, not the least of which is what 10,000 lbs pressure does to soft plastic. Also I found that 1 - 20 ga then 1 - 16 ga wad did better. The 20 is just a bit smaller than the base of my slugs and the 16 on top (it won't fit in the base of the wad) centered the slug perfectly.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Mossberg 500 with rifled slug barrel.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Grand Master

Ok, so just to follow up I decided to try some for fit. I don't have the Lee key drive slugs, but I did have some old BPI 16 gauge rifled slugs which seem to be about the same size. As was stated, a 16 gauge nitro card doesn't really fit. It does to a certain extent, but it might just be too tight. If you wanted, you could try some 18 gauge, but 20 gauge should work, the key drive of the lee slugs shouldn't allow the wad to be sucked into the slug. You do want something like a hard card under the slug, not just the slug in the plastic wad. A Federal 12S0 plus an 1/8" nitro card looks to give a very good fit. I loaded a couple up in both a 3" Fiocchi and 3" Remington hull with 49 grains of Bluedot. That is a very good fit in the hull, and with an overshot card, will provide a very good roll crimp. I would certainly try that at least, and use a Federal 209A or CCI 209M primer. That load is listed with the lyman 525 grain slug, so it should be rather low pressure with the 1 ounce lee.

I could never get any tapered hull to work right with slugs or buckshot. I'm a huge fan of cheddite and Fiocchio hulls. So much so, I've got about 12,000 brand new primed hulls in both 12 and 20'ga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I cheated, I found a sale for Rio primed hulls at BPI for 7 to 9 cents each in 100 count bags. I stacked. Then I found wads that would work for 1 oz shot loads, buckshot, and slugs, and I stacked again. And I have an 8 lb jug of promo that is just for reloading 12 ga.

Shrug.

I could not see the point of trying to scavenge and pay for used hulls when I could buy new primed hulls that reasonable.

At the time that worked for me. YMMV.

I see price is up to 9.99. You can get clear for 2$ more per bag.
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Rio...nfo/RIO127010/
    I've also gone to the Rio or Chedite hulls (I have one in 3" and the other in 2 3/4") for slugs, buckshot and tri-ball loads. They are cheap and my 15 00 load and tri-ball load are rather hard on the hulls, single use only. The slug loaded shells can be reused if I want to.

Boolit Master
    For 12's and 20's I suppose you can be somewhat picky . Personally I stick with WIN AA and REM STS period . And to a lesser degree you can say the same for 28's and 410's . But when it comes to 10's and 16's I take whatever I can get my hands on ������
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12