Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seriously thinking about whole house generator either liquid propane or natural gas

Moderator Emeritus

Our summer price is $1.05 for a gallon of LP. [92,000 btu's] Natural gas runs about $0.45 per therm [100,000 btu]. Best to go Nat if you can get it. You might get a $ meter charge for having one there but most are less than $10 a month.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    If I were going to put in a large generator, I think I would go for the underground LP tank. The reason is because the Natural gas line is part of a very large grid and who knows what might happen to some part of that grid during a major disaster? Much better comfort factor using a tank that is right there.
    R.D.M.

Moderator Emeritus

Gas company here charges an insane fee for using gas for a standby generator...

I am seriously considering a 7.5kw Generac just so the next time a big fire blows through the area I can leave sprinklers running on the roof if we told to evac. I already have the underground tank which we don't use anymore and a good well in the Kootenai river bottom gravel. My house is very well fire wised except for the burning ember landing on the shingle roof scenario (which I think is probably what gets most fires started). Anyway, it was fun to read this thread and get some other viewpoints. Now I just need to do it while the memory of 20,000 acres of timber burning 4 miles away is still fresh on my mind.

Boolit Master
    I wrestled with the decision to install a large stand by gen or go with a portable unit as we lose power on the average of twice a year. The end result was I purchased a 8K gen at Costco on sale for $750 and had the builder install a transfer switch. I keep the gen full of non ethanol gas and have 10 extra gallons of the same gas on hand.
    We cant run everything at the same time but we can run anything we want if we are careful.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 09-24-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Gas company here charges an insane fee for using gas for a standby generator...
    I guess different companies in different areas have vastly different rates. Utilities have a customer charge that covers the book keeping, IE reading the meter, billing, ect, whether you use the product or not. Most will cover a minimum usage also. My gas bill, for my generator only, runs around $13 per month. My generator starts and runs once a week for 10 minutes.

At some point I may add gas heat to my shop and build a NG fired burner for smelting. The shop is really close to the gas meter but there is a sidewalk between them to dig under!

Boolit Bub
    The company I worked for did generator service work as part of it's business and I saw an awful lot of the Generac's used in a lot of emergency services buildings. Typically I'd see the 12K-14K units IIRC though. They served well and I don't recall having much issue with them at all. I would question how much need there would be for a larger unit.
    Last edited by Detroitdanm; 09-24-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Glad to see you are thinking dont be one of those people who gets a generator hooked up to gas company lines in the event of regional disaster the gas will stop coming due to pumping stations being electrical go with propane back up.

Boolit Master
    Well the reason I had posted about the 22k or 25k generators is that I'll be 71 in October and the wife is 10 years younger than me. Rather than have to hump the 6K gas generator out of the garage to where it will be running and then running power cords to two refrigerators and one freezer, assorted fans and my cpap machine it would be better to have a permanently installed NG or LP generator all wired in with transfer switch ready to go. Plus need a feed for the septic tank pump as well. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

If finances will allow this is what I would do. This was a part of my decision and I just did not want to do all of the work everytime that I needed it. Or if I was gone, I wanted it to be convenient for my Wife. I also did not want to mess with storing and purchasing fuel.

Boolit Master

Let me tell you, after Irma went through it sure was nice having power for the well. Not to mention A/C with the heat and humidity here in Fl. I do not regret the investment of a 22kw stand by unit. As stated, if finances allow it is the way to go. Purchase and bury your own tank as well.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Shingle View Post
    Glad to see you are thinking dont be one of those people who gets a generator hooked up to gas company lines in the event of regional disaster the gas will stop coming due to pumping stations being electrical go with propane back up.
    80% of the pumping stations I am aware of are driven by inline gas engines. They have electrical controls with manual override procedures. Arcing in electric motors need to stay a long way away from normal pipeline gas stations.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    About 4 years ago,a friend in Fl got a Generac set up for his house and shop.Diesel powered.He just tapped into the 5K storage tank that he has for all of his farm/cattle operation equipment.Sure came in handy a few weeks ago too.Diesel price ain`t too bad either.All the Diesel that he buys is classed for agriculture use.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123