Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Compound linkage single stage presses

Me too, bought some way before the company was sold. Never saw any green wax but I have seen green labels on the tins. Great product. I always have an extra tin in reserve. When I break open the reserve tin I order two more. One tin lasts a long time.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master

My Imperial was purchased before 1980, it is white.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    My Imperial was purchased before 1980, it is white.
    Mine was bought about 10-years ago. It is also white.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive been using it since the late 70s early 80s and its always been white. Its one of the best case lubes and works very good. I find it does lessen the force needed to resize brass a bit. Ive even taken to a very light coat on the rounds loaded with carbide dies as it reduces the force to size a lot there. Not really needed to prevent sticking cases but the ease it adds is. I have an old cotton bath towel I use to apply it with A amount in the towel add cases and grab 2 corners of each end in each hand and rock it or agitate for a few minutes. 100 cases or a couple thousand they get a nice even coating like this. A new or clean towel takes more lube until its impregnated with lube so be carefull not to under lube cases when starting out. I store the towel in a ziplock bag when not in use.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Dollar for Dollar I don't think you can do better than the Lee Classic Cast press, many may have a bit more leverage but for the additional cost I see no advantage, heck for the price of the CH rock crusher you could have a bionic arm built, LOL!

I have a Lee Classic Cast and can generate a bunch of leverage with it and if I need more the press lends itself to creative use of pretty much as long a handle as you want to put on it!

Hunting the auction sites can find you a used one for reasonable money, heck I just bought a Lee Classic Cast turret press on this site for a C note plus shipping a great deal for sure.

Imperial sizing die wax is the way to go if you can find some original green stuff that is, all I've seen since redding took over is a white colored wax and it does not work as well as the green!

HM
    I have 6 presses (not counting 2 MEC shotshell). Two are Lee Classic Cast "O" frame presses. Both were bought new, delivered for a bit over $100.00. My Rock Chucker isn't any better, but it sure was more expensive. Someone back on page 1 stated that you can't put a longer handle on a Lee press. I don't know what Lee press he has, but most of the Lee single stage presses have had simple steel tube handles for years - which allow a longer steel tube to be substituted.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

I finished the fixture and set it up on my Co-ax first. If it's adjusted where it is loaded right at the spot of most leverage, just the weight of the handle as an input gives over 50lbs of force at the ram.

I am thinking of having it so it is bottomed out at the base of a case for setup then dropping a shim inside the case so I can make repeatable measurements from machine to machine as far as input/output force. I'll see what the other presses I have look like but I might have to change my gauge and or build another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Hang in there LittleLebowski - this is where it gets interesting - some of us have tried various presses but I have yet to see a scientific chart of the mechanical advantage listed for each reloading press. This is what your quest boils down too. you want the greatest work done with the least pressure applied to you damaged flipper. That is what this will tell us.

Found this,
    calculating mechanical advantage of a press, measure the distance of the arc when you cycle the handle the end of the handle divided by the distance the ram moves at the same time ie; 30" divided by 3.5" of ram movement = 8.57 to 1 ratio?
    As the leverage is a variable the mechanical advantage changes constantly through the swing of the arc of the handle movement, I think their formula is too simplistic. That's where the actual measurement of force applied to the handle in correlation to force applied by the ram comes into it's own.

I mean if your feeling flush you can buy one of these

http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/RC000

Rock Crusher Press
    2 3/4"-12 top thread.
    1 5/8" ram diameter.
    Accepts 7/8"-14 threaded shank shell holders.
    8 1/4" stroke.
    27 1/4" overall length.
    Shipping weight: 103lbs
    Item #:RC000 $1,583.40
    740-397-7214
    Monday - Friday
    10am - 6pm EST
    Made in USA
    Which I bet probably beats the ultra mag, A2, Co-ax and anything else "normal" but I doubt I'll ever own one.

Oh, a little googlage found this link
    http://reloadingtips.com/pages/reloa...comparison.htm

found this as well
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ical-advantage
    Exactly! This is why jmorris's invention is better than their formula because it measures actual force at the END of the stroke where 95% of the work is being done. The rest of the travel is simply moving the ram, and case into and out of the die.

I also agree ergonomics play an equally important part in the outcome, even more than lube. Which is why the over the top presses are no good for me. And this is where the Lee classic cast shines again. Unlike most other presses where the stroke handle is fixed, the lee allows much adjustment for the user to dial in where the "hard part" of the stroke will be. It sounds like your arm hurts when you tax it a lot but it's able to do most of what you need, so adjusting just where the magic happens with your particular bench height and situation may be all you need for satisfactory results, and at $100 it's an experiment you can't afford not to try. And if it needs a tad more length it's a simple 1/2" shaft purchase away.

In other words the adjustability feature of the lees handle means that it will require less effort to size a stubborn case than a similar designed press having the exact same ratio mechanically. Don't forget that just as these lever arms are swinging and trading distance/force so are the arms on our body, in exactly the same way, and part of the same operation.

Boolit Master
    I have to say, I love my Lee for doing 30 carbine brass, which if you've ever sized, you know how much force is needed. I can adjust the handle to a steeper angle and really get the leverage needed. Does the belted mag cases with ease. And as stated, if you need more leverage, you can put in a longer handle. I use it much more than my jr2. I do however like the jr2 with the Lee autoprime II.

While a longer handle will improve mechanical advantage it says nothing about the initial design.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I went back home to Wyoming for hunting and took two shooting buddies with me. One of them is giving me a Rockchucker

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123