Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compound linkage single stage presses

Compound linkage single stage presses

I have a gunshot arm and am somewhat sensitive to the mount of force needed to resize precision rifle brass. I am looking for advice on presses that meet this criteria.

Banned
    Any large single stage press will work, the trick is to extend the handle (create more leverage) to limit the force you need to exert.

There may be some compound action press out there that I don't know about that would be good too.

Boolit Grand Master

The RCBS Rockchucker will resize rifle brass about as easy as anything out there. C-H, Lee, Lyman, Hornady, RCBS and Redding all make an "O" frame press with compound linkage. Some of the "C" frame presses don't have the mechanical advantage of compound linkage. It would be pretty easy to make a longer handle if you needed it.

Boolit Master

Most any modern press uses compound linkage. Or, use your other arm.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

If you can find a Corbin "S" press (Dave Corbin) that has the loading conversion piece with it, it creates considerably more force then my RC's. I have never used it for reloading but have used my RC's for Swaging. I find the dedicated swage press exerts a lot more pressure with less effort.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I have an RS3 and my Co-ax is easier to size with.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

This is what you want for easiest sizing: https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/RC000

But now back to reality. Any of the current single stage presses have compound linkage. I prefer the Lee Classic Cast. I have a bunch of the others. The handle on the Lee is adjustable so you can set it where it works best for you.

Boolit Buddy
    Take a hard look at the Redding UltraMag press, the compound linkage
    gives more mechanical advantage.

Boolit Grand Master

Ideally would be to try one before purchasing it. Some Gun shops will allow this even. Another way is to use one of the bullet swaging presses as they have much more advantage power wise do to the intended uses. a longer handle may help with leverage but your also moving more thru a bigger arc. Another way might be to "pre size" with the seating die then finish size with the sizing die. I have a rcbs summit and for case forming its wanting in power. my Bonanza Co Ax is good power wise with the standard handle but the over head linkage limits what tools can be used also. ( this is the same with the summit) Lyman orange crusher is okay for power and tool use. I did extend the handle 8"-10" on mine also for heavy case forming work. RCBS rock chuckers have been a standard for many years for power and ease of use. Right now mine is set up for bullet sizing and mounted horizontally. The RC was originally desighned as a bullet swage press also. Some of the heavier lee presses may be okay also, but lee uses a different handle mount that's harder to make a new handle for if you want to extend it.
    My extended handles are made from mechanical 4140 tubing with inserts for threads and a plug for the end This helps to reduce the weight of the longer handle when using.

I can't think of a reloading press out there that doesn't use compound leverage to amplify applied force.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I can't think of a reloading press out there that doesn't use compound leverage to amplify applied force.
    The older ones ones like Hollywoods did not.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    Take a hard look at the Redding UltraMag press, the compound linkage
    gives more mechanical advantage.
    My Ultramag makes life lots easier with larger cases. The older I get the more I appreciate it.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Boolit Grand Master

I think some of the "C" frame presses don't, but I could be mistaken. I started loading on a Herters "C" frame press that did not have it. We kept our lead inventory on the back of the table and would still shake the table when sizing normal 30-06 cases. The Rockchucker was a big step up in the world.

You guys are right about some of the bullet swaging presses having a tremendous amount of leverage!

I don't know how old this Hollywood is but that's a compound linkage.

Even the cheap Lee C press uses compound linkage.

Boolit Master
    Any of the bigger compound leverage presses will work ok with the right technique. If you have a press that will FL resize a .50 BMG case it should be easy to size most hunting and target rifle brass.
    When I get cases that require more than a comfortable amount of effort I can use both arms on the handle.
    My stool is the right height so that I can just lean on both arms with my upper body weight to push the handle down. I am taller than most people and I have a 36" sitting height so my upper body is plenty large enough to push the handle down.

You can also get an ambidextrous press that permits the use of the handle on either side depending on using your left or right arm.
    The very large RCBS Big Max can be set up with a horse shoe handle arrangement that would permit easy use of both arms.
    EDG

Here's another vote for the Redding Ultramag. 300 Win Mag, 7mm RM, re-forming 30-06 to 25-06, 45-70 and a bunch of small stuff. Ultramag doesn't break a sweat.

I've owned a Rockchucker and a Co-Ax. Still own the Lee Classic Cast. None compare to the Ultramag.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Dude,

No smoke, no bias that will not stand, you need to look at the RCBS Ammo Master II.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	204313

This thing is physically twice as big as most any other press, meaning the arm and linkages are longer, meaning more leverage. It's big enough that it's designed to do 50 BMG single stroke. I can do any case conversion I want simply by leaning on the press arm.

It's fairly expensive, but it's worth it's weight,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    Here's another vote for the Redding Ultramag. 300 Win Mag, 7mm RM, re-forming 30-06 to 25-06, 45-70 and a bunch of small stuff. Ultramag doesn't break a sweat.

I've owned a Rockchucker and a Co-Ax. Still own the Lee Classic Cast. None compare to the Ultramag.
    My experience also with the Rockchucker. My Ultramag has sat on a custom pedestal since day one. Even then the handles long throw caused some bending when operating it. Dan at Inline Fabrication set me up with a custom Ergo Lever and eliminated that added strain completely. He now has that style lever as a stock item, it's worth a look.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Boolit Master
    The Hollywoods, simple linkage C presses, and the RCBS Jr do not use compound leverage.

EDG

Have any photos of them?

I found some RCBS JR2 photos but I guess they already went to compound linkage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast