Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: 357 Herrett questions

Boolit Grand Master

357 Herrett questions

What bullet are you guys using in the Herrett? I've been using a friends mold, a Seiko 190 grain flat point. I have the opportunity to buy it but it does not cast especially well and I don't really like the ergonomics of it. It shoots pretty good, at least good enough to suit me. I'm thinking about the RCBS 35-200 flat point. I like RCBS molds! What do you say?

Oh yeah, I'll deer and/or hog hunt with this in a 10 inch Contender. Probably under 100 yards, mostly 50 yards and under. I'll use clip-on wheelweights, maybe with a little tin.

Boolit Master
    I really like my NOE 35 200. It casts very well and was easy to get to shoot well. Mine runs 224 gr in my alloy ( 1/1/98) and big enough to size at .360. My Herrett is 14 inch.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

I've never had a NOE mold, may have to try one out. I wish I liked my buddies mold better, It could be bought at a fair price. Thanks for the reply. Anyone else load for the Herrett?

RCBS 35-200-FN. Accurate and deadly. Casts well.

Vendor Sponsor

I will third the RCBS or NOE copy 35-200
    Great bullets for the herrett
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

I have never tried cast bullets in my Herrett...at what velocity does leading become an issue..Or is it even an issue at all?

Vendor Sponsor

I have not tried to push it because after finding a very accurate load at 1500 FPS using powdercoated 49/49/2 (cow/pb/HSB) alloy using the NOE 360-190 HP and 2 DRT deer I saw no reason to go further
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I wish that I liked my buddies Seiko mold better as that bullet shoots very well in my Contender. I'll have to check out NOE. I have always been well pleased with any and all of the RCBS molds that I ever bought. I just want something with more than 2 cavities. Probably don't make much sense as I'll be feeding a single shot pistol!

NOE moulds are as good as they come. Only if NOE doesn't make the one I want will I buy another brand.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    As for leading, like Smoke, I found a good load quickly in the same velocity realm and just load it and went no further. Leading with a bullet that fits has never been an issue for my 357 Herrett, but I don't push for top velocity.
    I understand your desire for more bullets per cycle. Just seems more efficient of time and energy, too many things need doin! Beware the Lee 6 hole, they have much more variation than an NOE or Accurate multicavity, and I like Lee stuff.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I have used many Thousands of the RCBS 200 gr gc rifle bullet in several revolvers as well as SS pistols and a LA 357 mag rifle ( will have to single load ) and a 350 mag rifle accuracy was allways excellent ! equaling jacketed bullet accuracy in most guns with the right load

Quote Originally Posted by kingrj View Post
    I have never tried cast bullets in my Herrett...at what velocity does leading become an issue..Or is it even an issue at all?

It's not an issue with any velocity the Herret has to offer.
    The fit, alloy and lube must match what you're trying to do obviously but that goes for ANY cartridge.
    Wheel weights + Cu babbit, gas check and powder coated (or bare, I've tried both) will take max jacketed loads from my 358 Winchester with zero leading.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"