Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: 410 shot gun shell

Boolit Master

410 shot gun shell

Have any of you guys ever loaded a 410 shot gun shell with BP. If so how much?

Fly

Boolit Master

I'm thinking 30 grains...been a while.I do know there is a good chance I wrote it down somewhere.My shells would be 303 brit- fire formed.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Magtech 2-1/2" all-brass, large pistol primer, 1-1/2 drams (40 grains) 2Fg, 1/2 oz. shot.

Starline 5 in 1 Blank case, (.44 Game Getter) 1 dram (28 grains) 2Fg, 1/3 oz. shot.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

As a kid, I never had smokeless powder so all my .410 s were loaded with black. I'd buy factory ammo, then reload it until the cases burned through. Wish I had known about 303 cases back then. Anyhow, loads were whatever the factory load is, 2 drams or so with 1/2 oz shot. Used corroguated cardboard for wads just like a muzzle loader. Killed plenty of squirrels with it during my teen years.

Boolit Buddy
    Wad column and overshot wad recipe for the 2.5" brass cases? I might use these in a double barrel (Pedersoli replica of the Ithaca Auto and Burglar), and the need to hold together under recoil from barrel #1. I guess I could crimp an inverted .44 or .45 gas check in the case mouth as an over-shot wad...

Other ideas and suggestions for the undershot wad? Plastic wads really burn and melt with blackpowder flame temperatures.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Quote Originally Posted by John in PA View Post
    Wad column and overshot wad recipe for the 2.5" brass cases? I might use these in a double barrel (Pedersoli replica of the Ithaca Auto and Burglar), and the need to hold together under recoil from barrel #1. I guess I could crimp an inverted .44 or .45 gas check in the case mouth as an over-shot wad...

Other ideas and suggestions for the undershot wad? Plastic wads really burn and melt with blackpowder flame temperatures.
    I use a .45-70 card from Buffalo Arms over the powder, two lubricated Ox Yoke Originals BP wads and a piece of playing card over the shot.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I haven't been using BP but I use 444Marlin cases with an inverted 44cal gas check over powder and a cereal box over shot wad glued in with silicon.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Have any of you guys ever loaded a 410 shot gun shell with BP. If so how much?
    http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Any of the above recipes resistant to recoil-dumping the shot from round Number 2 when round Number 1 is fired from a side-by- side double barrel?
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Quote Originally Posted by John in PA View Post
    Any of the above recipes resistant to recoil-dumping the shot from round Number 2 when round Number 1 is fired from a side-by- side double barrel?
    Unless overshot card is either crimped, or glued, or both, yes.

I use RCBS .44-40 Game Getter Long Shot crimp die, backed off for 2-1/2" .410s. The .45 ACP Long Shot crimp die will also work if you have one.

Lacking either, least expensive and most satisfactory expedient is to improvise a crimp die using a Lee .308 Win. seater die. Adjust the seater stem plug initially to the approximate mid-point of the die shoulder, refining the adjustment by backing out the die body, bumping and trying until the card is held in place as you bump the brass .410 case mouth against the shoulder of the seater die to form the crimp. Then smear a BB-sized drop of Elmer's glue around the edges of the card with a Q-tip.

Attachment 204987Attachment 204988
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-01-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.