Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg MVP Long Range

Banned

Mossberg MVP Long Range

Mossberg is now making an entry level "sniper" rifle on their MVP series action. Link here;

http://www.mossberg.com/category/ser...lr-long-range/

I have been contemplating for a while now that it seems most of my shooting now seems to consist of cast shooting from a bench at the house at 100 yards just poking holes in paper. I don't shoot handguns that much anymore and my hunting interests seem to be shifting to squirrels and birds and not deer so much. We have a pretty limited firearms season anyway.

I know there are higher end rifles for this purpose, but I kind of liked the feel of this one when I held one. Heavy, but not overly so and not real awkward the way a lot of bull barreled guns are. They are pretty ugly, but it would just be me looking at it.

I am far from being in the "tacticool" crowd, I'm a blued steel and walnut kind of guy, but it would be cool to try one of these or similar.

Anyone have experience? Some of the write ups suggest that accuracy on these may not be the greatest, but the American rifleman's article about them only used factory ammo, and a lot of the comments about accuracy were probably from mall ninjas who either can't shoot or are using cheap ammo as well. As most of us agree, you can better most rifles' performance with handloads.

Anybody have one of these?

Boolit Grand Master
    Fellow at our local gun club varmint silhouette matches shoots an MVP on occasions. He has nothing but praise for it

I bought one of the MVP's in .223. It's like the Russians finished it, rough. It shoots very well and like it for no good reason since most .223's will shoot well enough for field work.

Banned
    I'm looking at the short barreled threaded MVP in 223 as it's a natural for my GEMTECH. $505 @ Bud's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    I bought one of the MVP's in .223. It's like the Russians finished it, rough. It shoots very well and like it for no good reason since most .223's will shoot well enough for field work.
    I wanted one of the MVP patrol rifles when they first came out because I really liked the concept. Couldn't find one, so settled for the MVP predator because it was basically the same thing with a laminate stock. I replaced the cheap scope it came with and since then, it shoots pretty well, but is not the equal of my 198s, plain jane Savage 110 accuracy wise. To be fair, that Savage has ben a very good shooter with almost anything I handload for it, and I haven't worked a whole lot with the MVP Predator. I'm sure with bullets over 55 grains, the MVP would do better than the Savage, but I doubt I'll ever use the super heavies on anything.

This MVP LR would be strictly a cast bullet bench gun range toy for me. I figure I could sell off some of the ones I'm not shooting much and buy something specialized for what I'm doing mostly now.

Boolit Grand Master

Only 16 and 20" barrels with no mention of twist in 308W. Might do well with some tweaking in CBA commercial rifle matches.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

I read somewhere that they have a 1 in 10" twist. Maybe a 1 in 12" would be better for cast??

None of the write-ups I read on it said it was a tack driver, but decent. Some of the reader comments mentioned reliability problems, but they are a couple or three years old and Mossberg probably has any bugs worked out by now. They're not obscenely expensive, but pricey enough that I'd like to know more about them before taking a chance.

Everything I've heard about the MVP's has been positive. The only Mossberg rifle that I've purchased is the discontinued 4X4 in 25-06 it came with a fluted and threaded barrel and a break, also a thread protector. In my hands with transfer from Uncle Bud for $301. I put an AO 44mm Vortex scope on it and it's one fine shooting light rifle. Gp

Banned
    The Predator has a 22" bbl ---- hardly handy with a can.

The Ruger American Ranch Rifle has a 16" threaded bbl, is $529 for G of G.

Banned

The MVP LR comes with a 20" barrel. I have no interest in ever putting a suppressor on it so it's a non-issue.

Banned
    who would NOT want a can ? Only someone who never owned one !

Boolit Buddy
    Buy a Remington 700 (ADL or BDL even) or Savage in .308...1 in 12 twist for cast bullets..

1. You can get well below the 3# trigger pull
    2. A Boyds stock is only $149.00 shipped in a thousand variations and colors
    3 IMO they are better made
    4. You can get one used (save money)
    5. Either will shoot better than you or me.
    6. They don't come threaded ..that's a plus to me..I believe unless they EDM the threats it puts pressure (stress) on the muzzle when they thread it..

My Rem 700 will shoot 3/8" @ 100 yds with a 155 grain cast bullet and I bought it used..
    I realize it wouldn't be considered "cool" siting on the bench but I'll bet it'll out shoot most "cool mil spec sniper guns"

Heck even my 03 is a 1/2" gun @ 100 yds

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    Well, that would be me; never owned one, doubt I ever will. Simply no interest. My range is in my front yard and nothing I shoot could generate enough noise for my nearest neighbors to care.

I'm glad someone mentioned the offerings by Savage. I've owned a few of the 110 series rifles and have liked them, but had no idea the variety of offerings on that basic action they have now. This looks similar in concept to the MVP LR;

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPSR

While I don't doubt the MVP is a good action, I have experience with and KNOW the Savage 110 is good and they're both about the same MSRP.

I have to admit to being a dislike of Remington 700s. Nothing personal to anyone who is, just don't like them very much.

A local shop has a Model 70 Winchester someone did a lot of custom work including a heavy barrel and McMillan stock in .308. Asking price is a little less than either the Savage or Mossberg. The rifle has been in that shop for sale before and is back. Being in Manhattan, it probably means either a college student or Soldier bought it and needed cash shortly after. I might go do some dealing on that one. It wouldn't have the detachable magazine feature. Might go back and have a second look at that.

Boolit Master
    Or the Winchester could be a dud! In our LGS, a recurring rifle means a poor shooter!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Or the Winchester could be a dud! In our LGS, a recurring rifle means a poor shooter!
    Normally I'd agree, but the town it's in is a college town which is also in close proximity to Fort Riley, so you have both college students and young Soldiers, both of which buy and sell off toys rather quickly based on how much money they have at the moment. Some of the things that turn up in pawn shops would probably surprise you.

I have several projects to get to first. It's also hunting season now. I do most of my shooting on my own place now, if I start hanging around the state range I sometimes go to still, chances are I'll run across someone who has one of these MVP LRs and maybe can see first hand what they're like.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    I don't need or even want one. And yes I've fired many guns so equipped starting with a MAC-10 .45 SMG back in 1980. Maybe I'm the only guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    I wouldn't touch one even if it was free. They scare the **** out of me safety wise. then again all center fire mossbergs scare the hell out of me safety wise.

1. on the mvp series, they use the plastic bottom plate to form the magazine well. Not a smart move.

2. on the Mossberg patriots I have seen in person in stores, when the bolt is pulled back fully I have been able to basically end up with a bolt so loose it reminds me of a 1/2" bolt in a 3/4" hole, with similar amount of play in it.

3. NOBODY has been able to positively tell me if the "Mossberg bolt club" issue of the tiny cross pin that attaches the bolt body to the head has been solved.
    This pin issue on early year or so production on this family of rifles allows, under recoil, for the pin to break where it goes through the bolt/head junction. Allowing the bolt handle to eject from the rifle into the shooters face. No deaths are known to be caused by it, nor have any eyes been known to have been put out but I am not interesting in being the first one.

For good consideration id look at a ruger American predator. They FEEL like an m1 carbine in the easy to shoulder contest, and swing like a 1200 shotgun should. But put a scope on them and they start to feel more like a springfield rifle.
    I did a quick search and didn't see anything about a cross pin issue? Can you post some links and additional info? I've looked at the MVP in 308 but have never heard of this issue with their guns.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    If that's the only issue I'd buy one in a second.

Also, please note that no one is in any danger from that issue. The bolt handle will not 'fly off in your face' since there is no pressure there to do anything. The bolt head remained firmly in place containing the cartridge in the chamber properly.

Loose bolts could be an issue, but, I've handled plenty of Mausers and Springfields with 'loose' bolts and never had an issue with firing them.

Plastic floorplate. Could be an issue depending on the type of plastic used. Some of the plastics I'd take over stamped sheet metal. Would be a good place for aftermarket to step up and offer a CNC aluminum replacement.

I do agree that a Savage might be a better choice, but, I would not turn up a good price on the Mossberg.

Banned

I've read several reviews of the MVP LR and the only real bad thing I've seen come up is that the accuracy seems sub par. I just want it to poke holes in paper from a bench with cast bullets. I doubt it would ever see any other kind of service with me.

I know of one firm that is doing machined bar stock bottom metal for the .223 version....dunno if they plan to do a .308 soon or not.

Still interested in one, but its a tertiary want right now. If they took G3 mags I would be hot for one but alas.
    My firearms project blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast