Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dillon 650 Mods

Boolit Master
    Yikes!! Right! Any lack of ability is surely the machines fault!! I have been running a 550 for 20 years with zero issued save for thing wearing out. They are some of the finest reloaded made (my opinion) just got to know how to set them up and tweak them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    now if only someone will come up with a fix for when .380 ...9mm...and .40 cases get hung on the ejector wire.

there has to be a way!
    Simple, adjust/bend the wire slightly and troubles are gone. You could make another one for the small cases as its very simple to do so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Simple, adjust/bend the wire slightly and troubles are gone. You could make another one for the small cases as its very simple to do so.
    bend it how? up, down, in , out, like a cork screw, zig zag?

Banned
    I made one out of a solid piece of copper wire. Its sounds like the wire isn't staying in the hole and is rising up that is what mine did with 380's. I would start with piece of wire the same diameter as the original. Insert the end into the hole and bend trying to keep it as low as possible without it hitting the shell holder. once your at the bolt simply wind it around the bolt so it can't go any place.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    That's pretty funny. To get a Lee to run with a 650 requires some substantial "fixes" as well.

LOL

i bought my 650 used for 900 with the case feeder... i bet he has almost 1600$ in that to make it run like that

i used a loadmaster for 4 years that i bought used, it runs fine, before that i had a pro 1000 for 10 years, now i have a 650 and the loadmaster doesn't get used at all (sold it to a member here last night in fact)

i won't hate on lee at all, but the dillon is a superior press.... the ONLY thing i have a problem with is WHY COULDNT DILLON PUT A DANG CASE SENSOR ON THE PRIMER FEED!!!!!!! i mean really? ski jumping primers on the floor is ridiculous!

and no comments about my messy bench, i am removing stuff this weekend after i get the loadmaster taken down to ship... these 12 hour shifts i have been working are killing me

Boolit Grand Master
    your bench looks clean compared to mine!!!

Banned
    jmorris can make anything run well its just raw talent and common sense at its best.

i bet he has almost 1600$ in that to make it run like that
    I'm not sure you could spend $1600 on a Loadmaster unless you paid for its wedding or sent it to college It was given to me because the original owner couldn't get it to work. I bought a new priming system ($9.60), a bag of the flippers ($0.33 ea) a crank slider assembly ($5.40) and I wanted to try the Hornady bullet feeder and that was another $28. The collators were borrowed from one of my Dillon's.

I didn't count time though and I did spent a number of hours figuring out what makes them work.

Banned
    I have new respect for the Lee after watching the jmorris video of it running flawlessly. But, I still love my 650

A couple of points to comment on. Any machine can be made better......

I've not polished my hopper bottom. And no weight either. Keep filled halfway up and even flakes of 700x stays within a tenth.

McMaster is where to buy the shell plate bearing. I use only one washer and the bearing. This reduces height just a bit. You do have to rebend the wire for ejection. I futzed with it for a good while till I got it right. Must stay in hole, that's for sure and can't be much above the plate, almost touching. I have a small piece of aluminum angle that fits beneath the primer plate advancer that prevent primer from advancing when I don't want it to. Simple and free.

I hesitate to add such a large primer catch pan. Don't like to see a pile of primers in the open loose!

Added a hose and adapted fitting to catch the decapped spent primers. Free to make from larger cartiridge case 38sp I think. Oh, I use the original ball and cut spring. Plastic ball is ****. Oh, and last mod was an ergonomic handle from inline fabrication, great guy and sponsor!

Boolit Bub
    I think Inline Fabrication may be my new Money pit!!!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddirt62 View Post
    Installed a new one today and it is priceless!! Allows you to stop primers from advancing when needed by moving the ramp out of the way. Love It! Got it off ebay.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Do you have a link to this item?

Quote Originally Posted by 3Gunnah View Post
    Do you have a link to this item?
    I can't do a link from my phone but you can do an eBay search for "Dillon primer stop switch" and it's the first one that comes up

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepguy242 View Post
    I can't do a link from my phone but you can do an eBay search for "Dillon primer stop switch" and it's the first one that comes up
    Sweet thanks. I'm going to order a couple and try them out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12