Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Universal primer removing die.

Boolit Master
    I like to deprime before cleaning as well, and my Lee decapping die pretty much permanently resides in an old Lee press for this duty.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

I forgot about all the guys that clean w/ SS pins. They remove the primers before cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I forgot about all the guys that clean w/ SS pins. They remove the primers before cleaning.
    Yep, that's the way to do it. First decap and then SS wet tumble.

I've decapped countless thousands of cases with the Lee Universal Decaping die. A simple tool that works and works well....

Only broke one pin in the last 5 years - my fault, as I didn't have the necked rifle round pushed all the way back into the shell holder. The pin missed the mouth, hit the angled case neck and broke. I called Lee to purchase a replacement, and they sent me three rods solely for the cost of shipping.

Very good of Lee, indeed...

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master
    That is correct you would not believe sometimes the build up of fouling under the primer. The pins does a nice job cleaning them. I threw away all my walnut shell that i used to use. pins are number one from now on.

Boolit Grand Master

I've used one for several years. Its stronger than the much nicer looking and weaker Sinclair that I received as a gift. I think mine came from Midway for something like $8.99 at the time.

Boolit Master
    I bought one a couple months ago, IIRC. I am quite happy with it. I use it in an extra press that I have to hold my RCBS powder measure & I use it to deprime before citrus bath & tumbling. Then I use the regular deprime & sizing die for the particular cartridge & that makes sure I get any of the media out of the primer flashhole & pocket. I don't have/use SS pins & the media getting in those places happens a lot. Works for me anyway.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Bub
    What the other guys said.

Bot a Lee universal decapping die years ago and it has given absolutely yeoman service. Never an issue with it. Frequently go to the extra step of starting with it so as to avoid broken decapping pins. It, for instance, decaps hard, crimped-in, military case primers with absolute ease.

Side note: The Lee Universal Case Expanding Die is another extremely useful tool. Prefer to use it in the place of the regular neck-expanding dies.

Fort Reno Kid

That's me. I de-prime when I get home from the range. I use the cheapie Lee reloader press with the universal die as a permanent de-cap station. It's fast and easy. I even bought a second one to stick into my Hornady single stage for when I magage to mess up a primer seating and am too danged lazy to get over to the Lee press to poke it out For my money, it's one of Lee’s best products.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Years ago - The only time I had to replace the pin in the Lee Universal was when I tried to punch out a Berdan primer. Doesn't work with the Lee Universal decapper
    Regards
    John

Broke recapping pin on my 308 F/L resizing die on a Berdan case, and haven't taken the time to replace it, yet. So I use my universal recapping die for 308 until I replace the broken mandrel/decapper on my resizing die.

Boolit Master
    I have had one in a loadmaster die plate for a year or so , just for knocking the primers out of new to me brass , and it takes a beating . The last time I got a replacement decaping pin I ordered a 4 pack of the squirrel daddy pins but haven't got to them yet . The lee universal depriming die and prewashing my brass saves a lot of ware and tear on my sizing dies .

I have been using the Lee universal decapping die for a week now. I have used it on 9mm,45acp,and 38 Special and really like it.
    Might have to look into the Universal expanding die.

Boolit Master
    Couldn't find one in person at bass pro so I ordered it from amazon. Will be nice to have a turret setup just to deprime everything and stop getting the press stoppage when a dirty pocket prevents the primer from seating fully. Really only seen it on my 45 acp rounds, but occasionally the "base" of the primer gets knocked out and the ring gets stuck in the pocket. I've just been tossing them in the reject bin when i catch them.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

After reading this I went out and bought one. I reload 5 different calibers and this makes it easier to decap several hundred rounds while watching Law and Order. Thanks for the tip.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    So far 100 percent good comments and not even one bad comment. I am really happy with mine should have bought one a long time ago. And the price is really cheap for a great product.

Talk about fast..Set one up in a Hornady LNL AP and let her rip, I can blow thru a mountain of brass in no time. Still keep screwing up and putting the different size brass in the tumbler at the same time....40's and 9's are a PITA, as are 45's and 40's...you get my point..

Boolit Master

I use one in a Lee hand press. I use the press upside down with a blank shell holder. This way I can sort my brass as it is de-primed without having to worry about which shell holder is in the press.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    Talk about fast..Set one up in a Hornady LNL AP and let her rip, I can blow thru a mountain of brass in no time. Still keep screwing up and putting the different size brass in the tumbler at the same time....40's and 9's are a PITA, as are 45's and 40's...you get my point..
    I ended up selling my 40's for this reason. Looking at some of the cheap police trade ins has got me thinking about another 40 though.

Boolit Master

I have never found the 40 S&W attractive enough to go out and buy one. Some years ago a friend had one and wanted me to load some ammo for him. I refused to do it. Instead I asked him to buy a set of dies and come over to my home and I would let him reload his own ammo using my press and assistance to show him what to do.

He bought a set of dies and came over and we ended up loading up about 500 rounds for him to use. He gave the dies to me in thanks and he ended up going out and buying a Dillon 550 and another set of Dillon dies and he has been making his own rounds ever since.

I fired his Glock 23 a few times and I did not like it. The recoil is much snappier than the 9 MM's I have and although the .45 ACP has more recoil it is more of a push/shove recoil impulse and easier to control and put up with than the sharp recoil from the 40. Ergo I never bought a 40 but I kept the dies. The 40 has better terminal ballistics than the 9 MM but with the recent upgrade in bullet technology today the 9 MM is just as good as a 40 and almost to a .45 ACP.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Another sneaky trick for cleaning primer pockets is to use a nut pick (sort of shaped like a thin icepick, with the end slightly curved.) Use a mill bastard file on it to make the end just a little of a sharp chisel, deprime, then you can clean the primer pocket as suits. (You could go way too far as the pick is steel, just clean things up and that's fine.) Nice for working loads up at the range w/ portable reloading kit etc.; Clean primer pockets never made a round worse

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast