MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: 32 S&W Reloading Help

Boolit Mold

32 S&W Reloading Help

I am looking to work up a load for my Iver Johnson 3rd model top break revolver. It is chambered in 32 S&W.
    I have Lee 93 grain 32 bullet mold. I am looking at using Bullseye powder.

The only reloading data I can find is for a 85 grain bullet.

Does anyone have an experience with the cartridge using 93 grain bullet?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The heavier 93-grain bullets are meant for solid-frame, swing-out cylinder revolvers chambered for the .32 S&W Long. IJ top-breaks are not particularly strong. The original load was an 88-grain heeled lead RN bullet with 6 grains of 3Fg black powder. I would recommend that you get a Lee mold for a .311 round ball, load 1.0-1.5 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup, push the ball flush into the case mouth and wipe a BB-sized dab of bullet lube around the case mouth and over the ball. This is safe and fun to shoot.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    read it wrong

Boolit Master
    oops............

Boolit Mold
    NO worries Bdicki, thanks for trying!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks outpost, I have seen the .311 round ball loading information. I was just hoping someone has worked up a load for the 93 grain bullet. I did see someone had loaded a 32 S&W 93 grain bullet with 1.0 grain of Bullseye. But I can't find where I found that information, and random internet posts don't seem to be the safest place to get your loading data.

Quote Originally Posted by sgranke View Post
    Thanks outpost, I have seen the .311 round ball loading information. I was just hoping someone has worked up a load for the 93 grain bullet. I did see someone had loaded a 32 S&W 93 grain bullet with 1.0 grain of Bullseye. But I can't find where I found that information, and random internet posts don't seem to be the safest place to get your loading data.
    I loaded the Accurate 31-087T bullet cast of 1:40 tin-lead with 1 grain, weighed, of Bullseye for a neighbor's S&W New Departure Safety Hammerless in .32 S&W and that load shoots to the sights and is "minute of beer can" at 20 feet, plinking in the back yard. We have not chronographed it, but the power level seems close to the very old WRA Co. .32 S&W ammo he had stashed with the gun.

If you can WEIGH powder charges to not exceed 1 grain of Bullseye, I would cautiously try your 93-grain bullets cast dead-soft of pure lead or not harder than 1:30. If you do so, please post your results, as inquiring minds, including mine, will want to know.

Hoping that Larry Gibson chimes in here, as I think he has experience with this...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    In my research I did find this picture so I think the information is out there somewhere.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32 s&w 93grain.PNG 
Views:	26 
Size:	279.8 KB 
ID:	204176

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I shoot many, many 32 S&W. I cast and load the Lyman 313249, 86 gr. of my soft alloy. I use a very, very mild charge of Trail Boss in old REM-UMC balloon head cases. Mine would be safe in your break top but I use them in old solid frame Colts and S&W hand ejectors. Be safe and have fun; it's a great old cartridge.

Boolit Buddy
    1 grain of red dot/promo. Works like a champ for cowboy side matches. 95 gr bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by sgranke View Post
    In my research I did find this picture so I think the information is out there somewhere.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32 s&w 93grain.PNG 
Views:	26 
Size:	279.8 KB 
ID:	204176

If you pulled down one of those OWS rounds, examined the powder and weighed the charge, that might provide useful information. I know that Dangerous Dave liked to load Unique in most of his black powder caliber rounds, and if I were to guess off the top of my head, I'd bet 2 grains of Unique would be pretty close to 1.5 of Bullseye...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Just running those two weights in Quickload, (85 / 93 grains ) using 1.0 of Bullseye, the pressure difference is only 220 psi. Load is much more sensitive to variation in seating depth.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Found my old records.
    Not that it is any help but I had been using 1.6gr of Red Dot with a 90gr SWC for a Hopkins & Allen I have since traded.
    I do not recall where the data originated but the load presented no problems.
    Benny

Boolit Mold
    uscra112, could you tell me the correct seating depth for the 93 grain boolit?