RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: Looking For 50 To 35 Caliber Sabots

Looking For 50 To 35 Caliber Sabots

Does anyone make such a sabot?

What were your experiences?

It hit this .35 nut that I could, likely, hunt all though MZ and 'regular' deer seasons with the same ballistics with a 50 to 35 sabot MZ load.

My 350RM or 35W with 358-200s as my easy shooting but plenty for deer 35R clones on the sling JIC during elk and deer crossover time, in the gun for deer, and down the muzzle with an equal velocity load for MZ special.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't seen a single sabot but I have seen people use a dual sabot approach.

A 357 in a sabot wrapped in a 45 caliber sabot.

Quote Originally Posted by lup View Post
    I haven't seen a single sabot but I have seen people use a dual sabot approach.

A 357 in a sabot wrapped in a 45 caliber sabot.
    I'll look into and test that method, if I can't find a single sabot to do it.

Thanks.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    Does a dual sabot work well? I've wanted a .40 cal sabot for my .50 cal rifle and dual sabots or a cloth patched projectile/sabot seemed the only way.

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.prbullet.com/pts.htm
    I think this is what you're looking for. They are excellent and what I use in my Savage 10MLII
    Domari Nolo

Quote Originally Posted by Dryball View Post
    https://www.prbullet.com/pts.htm
    I think this is what you're looking for. They are excellent and what I use in my Savage 10MLII
    There are they.

Thanks!

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    Does a dual sabot work well? I've wanted a .40 cal sabot for my .50 cal rifle and dual sabots or a cloth patched projectile/sabot seemed the only way.
    50/40 Sabots are available from MMP and Harvester. I have shot a few deer using the MMP Sabots with 40 caliber 225 grain bullets. The bullet was cast from a custom mold I had made and has been used in both 45 and 50 caliber muzzleloaders with 1-28" twist.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170830_1609385_rewind_kindlephoto-1569860018.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	203546

Boolit Man
    I have seen the 50 to .357 options that prbullet offers and wondered how they worked, glad to hear of your success in your Savage. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Savage have a 1-24" twist ?

My only experience with .357 bullets has been 180 grain LBT cast using 60 grains of powder in a 1-28" twist 45 Omega. Although I took this load hunting the opportunity to use it on a Whitetail never happened.

Boolit Master
    Very nice! Many thanks!

Boolit Master
    I would think it depends on the twist of your barrel. Figure out what twist rate a .357 rifle barrel has and see how far off you are. Then you can figure out which bullets you could shoot with same results (similar velocities).

Boolit Master
    My experience is that most smoker ML have too slow a twist to stabilize the .35 rifle bullets. If you have a Savage ML2 it's a bit faster twist and if a custom like a 1/20 or 1/18 and it's a 45 you could be doing better for sure. However the bullets that stabilize in smokers are usually pistol bullets and shorter and lighter and not really that good for big game terminal performance. The .35 rifle bullets that work so good for sure take the faster twist. And with all that thick sabot accuracy isn't so good. This has been my experience yours may be different. Keep us updated on how it works out. 10

PS: go to one of the bullet stability calculators and enter your information and that will show what you need to know about the twist needed.
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ga View Post
    My experience is that most smoker ML have too slow a twist to stabilize the .35 rifle bullets.
    Yes, the ML twist at 1-28 is only 1/2 as fast as the 1-14 that works so well in the .35 cartridge rifles. Checking this linked twist calculator, that gives either twist or velocity if given the other; even that short 200 grain cast bullet won't be truly stable until .358 Norma Magnum velocity in a 1-28 twist. Physics, again, is getting in the way of a neat, but half-baked, idea.

https://thebarreloutlet.com/twist-calculator/

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    Not really a half baked idea, just need a custom barrel

Boolit Master
    I have an old 45 with a 1/48 twist that shoots MMP's blue sabot with 9mm boolits extremely well. Why it was less accurate than 357 boolits is still a mystery to me. I shot a few deer with it and occasional coyotes plus rabbits. For deer, however, I prefer PRB.

Boolit Master
    are the 9mm bullets shorter and more pointed/rounded?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    are the 9mm bullets shorter and more pointed/rounded?
    Seemed to be true with both SWC and RN. Best accuracy was with the RN 9mm 124's which took down a few coyotes all the way out at 200 yards with iron sights (my eyes were younger then). As the saying goes - "If it ain't broke..."

Boolit Master
    Yes, if the bullets are shorter it takes less twist to stabilize them, so a 124gn will be better than a 158gn. Just not sure where the critical point of velocity and twist are for your bullets.