Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: M 1 Garands

Boolit Buddy

M 1 Garands

Guys, just recently I came across an article about M1 Garands being offered for sale through CCMP or something along those lines. Does anyone know any info or is this a hoax? My son is former military and is interested.

Boolit Master

your looking for this http://thecmp.org/
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you. There is a Garand in the family that will only take a 5 shot clip. Can anyone tell me if this has been altered from the original or were some made that way?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elkhuntfever View Post
    Thank you. There is a Garand in the family that will only take a 5 shot clip. Can anyone tell me if this has been altered from the original or were some made that way?
    The magazine may have been replaced or altered to meet hunting or match regulations.

Boolit Grand Master

They make clips for the Garand that hold fewer rounds.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    they also make a 5 round clip that will not eject. you need to drop the trigger group out to remove the clip. Yhey used to make a 8 rounder also.
    h
    The CNP has M1s available for purchase at the moment. Manufacture,condition and price change often.

Right now your choices are

RM1SERVICE M1 Garand, Luck of the draw for Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer. Orders will be filled with next available Service grade rifle. See above for Service Grade description. Rifle shipped in CMP hard rifle case. $730 shipped= Over all one of the best options,price and condition plus good shooters.

RM1308SPECIAL
    CMP Special (.308) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. Receiver may have pitting. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber. = a as new as you can get M1 but in 308 great deal and good shooters

You can scroll down to see whats for sale. you never know whats going to come along

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/
    Last edited by mac1911; 09-16-2017 at 10:49 PM.

Banned
    elkhuntfever,

Check out, for most anything that you want to know about the Garand rifle: http://www.odcmp.org
    (Be sure to check out the "CMP Forum", as there are LOTS of real Garand experts on that area of the website.)

From time to time, the Civilian Marksmanship Program has RARE JEWELS for sale, among the common rifles.
    (A friend of mine found a Model 1903 Springfield rifle, that was actually built in 1903 & rebuilt at Springfield Arsenal in 1918 for DIRT CHEAP as it's a "low number Springfield" & is POSSIBLY unsafe to shoot. - NO worries, as it went straight into my friend's DOUGHBOY EXHIBIT & won't ever be shot again as it's a piece of valuable WWI history.)

Note: I watch the CMP stores "like a hawk" for the occasional US Rifle caliber .30, Model of 1917 (the so-called "American Enfield" or "P17"), that is returned by veterans organizations & sold by CMP.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 09-17-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: typos

Banned
    elkhuntfever; All,

In my limited experience with CMP, a nice/polite/personal letter to their chief gunsmith at HQ, CMP will get you personal help in receiving a GREAT Garand, especially IF you want a rifle for competition, rather than a "collector's rifle".
    (Fwiw, I asked in my letter that someone select me a rifle based solely on its mechanical condition & its likelihood of shooting the John C. Garand matches successfully.)

My "treasure" (received about a month after I requested it) is a Danish Naval Infantry rifle (the Danish version of a NM rifle) & rebuilt by the Copenhagen Royal Arsenal (It's rebuilt on an early 1943 Springfield Arsenal receiver.) from circa 1955 that shoots better than I will ever do again at 70YO. - It measures <2 at both ends of the barrel & is within tolerance for a NEW GI-issue Garand.
    (If I don't do well with it & good M2 ammo, it's MY fault. = I don't shoot even half as well as I did a decade ago.)

just my OPINION, tex

Boolit Grand Master

I miss the days of the DCM and $89.00 Garand's. Had my dad qualify but the price went up to $125.00

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for all the info! Will put it to good use!