MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Bought two new (old) S&W's. How about a DOB?

Boolit Master

Bought two new (old) S&W's. How about a DOB?

Went to the gunshow today and found a table with an older-than-the-hills target shooter manning it (he had some target trophies from the mid-1950's). He was selling out his guns at a very reasonable price. I bought two. One is a pre-Model 17 (K-frame, .22LR, 6" bbl., target sights -- no barrel rib) with SN 6692xx. The other is a Bekhart target gun (I-frame, .22LR, 6" bbl., target sights) with SN 3610xx.

Does anybody have a book with the dates for them? They came home and were cleaned up and I put grips that fit my hand on them instead of the extra-large grips that were one them. Both guns were clean, in VERY good condition, and with only a little bluing missing from the muzzle sides and the front edge of the cylinders.

I bought my wife a Bekhart target model about a year or year-and-a-half ago. She loves it. She wants this one, too (it is in a little better condition). If I let her have it that should end all questions from her about "don't you already have one of those?". I am thinking it would be worth it for that.

pre model 17 probable manufacture date---1948
    On your I frame--There is no clear cut listing for manufacture/shipping dates for most serial numbers. Many of the old I frame revolvers were shipped out of sequence, sometimes several years apart.

I have the book and I got several old S&W target models. Send me sns and I'll look them up this
    Evening when I get home.Attachment 204171Attachment 204172

Boolit Master
    SN of the pre-Model 17 is 669,2xx. I have been searching the Internet for the last couple of hours and I am thinking it is probably probably a 1st Model Outdoorsman made in 1937 or maybe 1938. It is not a pre-War 2nd model and it is not a post-War model. There is no "K" in front of the SN. It has the older, long hammer-fall action. It has the older adjustable sights (two screws, one on each side for windage instead of one screw on the right side like the newer ones). Since it does not have any of the 2nd Model improvements, that automatically means it is older than 1940.

The Bekeart type gun (22/32 Heavy Target Model) is SN 361,0xx. After doing some searching, I am thinking it was probably manufactured in 1922. We also have one with a SN of 409,0xx. We think that it was probably manufactured in about 1924 or 1925.

Does anyone agree or disagree?

Boolit Master

I agree you have a very pretty first model Outdoorsman. I have 1st, 2nd and 3rd models and your photo exactly matches my 1st model.

Your gun show experience is my favorite sort - one guy selling his own guns.

Boolit Master
    Tested both guns at the range today. They shoot as good as they look. The sights were even VERY close to right-on for me. Definitely a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry O View Post
    SN of the pre-Model 17 is 669,2xx. I have been searching the Internet for the last couple of hours and I am thinking it is probably probably a 1st Model Outdoorsman made in 1937 or maybe 1938. It is not a pre-War 2nd model and it is not a post-War model. There is no "K" in front of the SN. It has the older, long hammer-fall action. It has the older adjustable sights (two screws, one on each side for windage instead of one screw on the right side like the newer ones). Since it does not have any of the 2nd Model improvements, that automatically means it is older than 1940.

The Bekeart type gun (22/32 Heavy Target Model) is SN 361,0xx. After doing some searching, I am thinking it was probably manufactured in 1922. We also have one with a SN of 409,0xx. We think that it was probably manufactured in about 1924 or 1925.

Does anyone agree or disagree?
    Book says pre17 6692xx.......1939-40
    22/32 HFT 4090xx.......1923
    They have incomplete SNs on 22/32 HFT. 1911 to 1941...160000 to 536684
    1923...384000 to end production
    I don't have the newest S&W catalog, it may be more accurate than mine.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Your gun show experience is my favorite sort - one guy selling his own guns.
    Roger that. Flippers and buccaneers......not so much. A number of my most-used bullet moulds have come from a guy at the Reno Shows whose table was primarily molds and small tools. Fair pricing and honest dealing goes a long way with me. I haven't seen him at the last 2 Shows I have attended. I hope he is all right.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.