RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Leaking RCBS Melting Pot

Boolit Man

Leaking RCBS Melting Pot

Because of pleasant weather after Irma, I melted down a 5 gallon bucket of range berm mined bullets. While the scrap was melting on the turkey burner (steel wok), I filled my melting pot with the last of the ingots. The RCBS melting pot is 25 years old, has been cleaned regularly, and I cleaned the pour spout and shut off stem multiple times. Spout still leaks. Cleaned stem and hole, used valve grinding compound to lap the stem and hole, still a slow drip.

Well, after an hour of drips casting with a Lee 6 cavity mold I simply got mad about the drip. I wacked the top of the stem with my 6" vice grips (holds my table spoon for fluxing the pot). There was a spurt of lead out of the spout and THE DRIP STOPPED. An hour later it dripped again, another wack and it was drip free for 3 hours. Finally ended up with 38# of shiny 158 grain SWC and a new supply of casting ingots.

Simple things work best. No draining, no cleaning, no polishing, no lapping, just hit the damn stem with a small hammer.

Boolit Master
    I did that with my RCBS pot and after a little bit I knocked the bottom out of the pot. It drained 20 pounds of lead out in a little bit.... I may have hit it too hard....

you do not have to hit them hard just a few light taps will usually do the trick mine leaks ever so often and I think there is some kind or crud built up in the orfice that needs to be knocked out but don't hit like you were hitting a home run in the world series D Crockett

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Never had to touch mine, never had a drip. But I'll keep that trick in mind, just in case.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

have you tried to add weight to the handle? extra weight might keep the stem tight against the spout
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer1911 View Post
    Because of pleasant weather after Irma, I melted down a 5 gallon bucket of range berm mined bullets. While the scrap was melting on the turkey burner (steel wok), I filled my melting pot with the last of the ingots. The RCBS melting pot is 25 years old, has been cleaned regularly, and I cleaned the pour spout and shut off stem multiple times. Spout still leaks. Cleaned stem and hole, used valve grinding compound to lap the stem and hole, still a slow drip.

Well, after an hour of drips casting with a Lee 6 cavity mold I simply got mad about the drip. I wacked the top of the stem with my 6" vice grips (holds my table spoon for fluxing the pot). There was a spurt of lead out of the spout and THE DRIP STOPPED. An hour later it dripped again, another wack and it was drip free for 3 hours. Finally ended up with 38# of shiny 158 grain SWC and a new supply of casting ingots.

Simple things work best. No draining, no cleaning, no polishing, no lapping, just hit the damn stem with a small hammer.
    Careful, the nozzel on the Promelter is only flared into the pot. Too hard of a rap could dump the whole pot in a very short amount of time, splashing all over.

Boolit Master
    Pot brutality!!!!! Scared it so bad it was afraid NOT to work !
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Dip a sharp wooden stick in slowly and scrape near the spout, this seems to clean that area and the drip stops. I use a paint stir stick or a sharp oak stick. There are impurities that get trapped and the carbon (burnt wood) seems to lift it

I used to have the drip problem with my Lee Dripomatic...instead of assaulting it, I decided to have a little 'pep talk' with it...
    We talked for hours and when we were done...it never dripped again.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

This thread must be a joke. RCBS pots don't leak. That's why people pay way to much for them

Boolit Buddy
    Someone on the forum a couple of years ago suggested putting a spring on the screw adjustment to apply pressure on the rod to seat the rod that seals on the bottom of the pot. I tried it and man does it work a treat! I don't remember who suggested it but kudos to the cleaver man who thought of it. The toolman.

Boolit Master
    30+ years and still melting and no drips. Take a paper clip when the pot is hot and run it in and out and in a circular motion. Take your spoon or dross tool and clean around the opening.
    Good Luck
    Leadmelter

Banned

ive got two of them ive "overpaid" for. Ive owned lees in the past and the rcbs pots are the best thing I ever overpaid for (other then my star sizer, Dillon presses, rockchucker, ballistic cast molds ect.) Id rather have to be a vegetarian then go back to a lee pot thank you. Use one for a couple weeks and id bet your lee pot collects dust like mine did till I found someone I disliked enough to give it away to.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    This thread must be a joke. RCBS pots don't leak. That's why people pay way to much for them

I don't know if this can be done on an RCBS but on my Lyman 20 Pounder I hack-sawed a screw driver slot into the top end of the valve rod. Now whenever it drips I take a screw driver and rotate it back and forth as I press down a little. There's enough rotational slop of the rod and the lift handle that whatever is causing the drip gets moved out of the way. Drips don't happen very often, but this is a sure cure every time.

Boolit Master

Mine is 35+ years old and developed a drip. RCBS sent me a new pot liner at no charge which was easy to install. Drip cured.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris