Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Hornady FPB Bullets

Hornady FPB Bullets

I got a new T/C Impact,and was wondering if anyone has tried the Hornady FPB 300gn bullet.And was looking for any kind of input.Good or bad.Was wanting to try a bullet without a sabot.Thanks for any information.

Boolit Grand Master

I too have the T/C impact, and the Hornady FPB bullet is the most accurate one I've tried in my gun. The 300 grain version shoots ok, but not great. The 350 grain one is fantastic. With the open sights I was keeping 5 shots under an inch at 50 yards. The 300 grain FPB along with the 350 gr Federal boreloc, power belt (295 grain IIRC) and a couple others all shoot around the 2"-3" range at 50 yards. The 300 grain Hornady SST (not the quick load crappy one) also shot very well, about as good as the FPB 350gr. The problem for me is that the open sights ran out of adjustment, and even as low as it would go would shoot 6" high with the SST's. I now have a Leupold 1-4x scope on the gun, but I also am switching to cast bullets. I'm having moderate success with the Lee REAL's, but may try the Maxi-ball mold if I can't get the accuracy I want. The T/C Impact works great with Blackhorn 209, and that is all I shoot in it anymore. I am using Federal 209A primers. I found the 350 gr FPB bullet shot its best at 100 grains of powder.

Boolit Master
    What is the twist of that gun?

Impact has 1/28
    I'm going to be off line for the next week or so.
    Got a hurricane breathing down our necks .
    I live in central Florida.
    Last edited by GDLT31; 09-06-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    Take care and don't take chances!

Wow what a ride!!!
    We had gusts up to 118 mph here in Lady Lake.
    Lost a few trees and limbs,no damage to the house.
    Had the eye wall pass over.
    No power running on generators.
    All in all we did great.

Boolit Master
    Good to hear that all was well with you.

Super Moderator

Following this thread with interest, I see that Midway has them. The Hornady SST's shoot like a house afire in my Impact. I may have to buy a box of these to try them out. When/if I do, I will report back.

PS: Glad you and yours made it through Irma OK. Take care.

Thanks to all for your support.
    Got power back,just time to clean up my 10 acres. And help neighbors clean up there property,being that I'm the only one that has a tractor around here.
    ShooterAZ thanks for any input.

Boolit Master
    I tried them with very poor results in my TC and my Savage ML2. I spend a lot of time shooting my muzzle loaders and I've tried everything...and kept notes. Sad to say, but short of going sabotless in a smokeless muzzle loader a sabot and bullet are the best way to go for accuracy.

NSB I have sabots and want to try a sabot less round in hopes of one less thing to mess with when loading the T/C Impact. I hunt swamps here in Florida and a long shot would be 75-80 yards.Just trying to find out what would shoot good and not a lot fumbling around with sabots bullets and not have fliers all over the target. I hope I'm not asking for the world on a stick.

Boolit Master
    You might want to try some of these: http://www.cabelas.com/product/FEDER...TS/1906801.uts
    I bought a pack to try and haven't tried them yet. I may never try them since I'm getting close to 1moa with Barnes and sabots. They look promising....but you won't know until you try them. What kind of accuracy are you looking for? I have to admit it, I'm an accuracy nut and a lot of what I discount would actually work OK for hunting at reasonably close ranges, like 75 yards or less. However, the FPB simply wouldn't even make that cut. If you want to try these, I'd be happy to let you have them for what I paid for them and I'll pay the shipping. I don't mind sabots at all.
    Last edited by NSB; 09-15-2017 at 08:50 PM.

NSB,sorry about not getting back to you still cleaning up after hurricane Irma. I'm not shooting match just deer and hogs.Let me get back to you on the offer.Archery started here and I haven't had time to get out.