Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Flood damaged ammo - factory boxes

Boolit Master

Flood damaged ammo - factory boxes

Ok I've gotten the equipment picked up and separated the wet from the dry. Now the down side, a few of the ammo cans leaked and factory ammo has been soaking in water for ~2 weeks. Obviously the boxes are trash, but what about the rounds inside? This is a mix of 22lr, rifle, and shotgun rounds. I've got them all in the sun drying now just want to see if they are salvageable.

Thanks!
    Derek
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    My 2cents. You are probably gonna be better off pulling the bullets and saving the components.

Banned
    If not nasty corrosion:

22s fine
    plastic shotguns fine
    rifle, if factory, probably okay, pull a few and check

Boolit Master
    I would think the shot shells might be wet, watch out for steel shells that have been wet. Shot will rust together and could damage barrel.

Had the wet problem from a burst pipe. Mostly rifle & pistol. So far they are fine.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Thanks y'all, it's in the sun now drying out

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Bub
    Had two floods last year down here and I feel for you. The first one was a complete and utter surprise so it really licked our buts. Six feet of water rushing by at six knots does give you some pause. I had thousands of rounds of Black Hills 5.56 in the original cartons and factory boxes. I unpacked everything into loose rounds and tumbled everything in rice with a little liquid car wax. So far Have only had one or two duds every couple hundred rounds. Can usually tell them by the primers. Pulling them that caused wet powder too. Shotgun shells and pistol ammo is WAY worse. The bases and primers corrode almost right way on the shotgun shells. Pistol ammo looks fine but .45 about 30% misfire rate. 9mm about 10%, and .22lr just a grab bag. I just throw the duds in a bucket and eventually will pull them all and see what I can save. Sucks big time but I guess it is better than fire!

Boolit Master
    Shotgun primers appear to have corrosion setting in already but metallic cartridges appear to be fine...won't know until he's gets back to test them I suppose. I'll tumble them once all the water is off with some brass polish. I should've guessed that home depot would be sold out of evaporust but they had some heavy gel spray that I'll try. At least everything is out of the wet boxes and garage now I'll see what I can do to save it all.

-Derek

Thanks Yall!

You are best to tear them down.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntersdog View Post
    You are best to tear them down.

Well that is discouraging. It is not my ammo so I'm going to just dry it out and leave it for the owner, he can decide if he wants to pull all the ammo down for components or just scrap it.

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Shotgun primers appear to have corrosion setting in already but metallic cartridges appear to be fine...won't know until he's gets back to test them I suppose. I'll tumble them once all the water is off with some brass polish. I should've guessed that home depot would be sold out of evaporust but they had some heavy gel spray that I'll try. At least everything is out of the wet boxes and garage now I'll see what I can do to save it all.

-Derek
    Derek,

Since we can't be sure what you mean by "brass polish" please don't use any brass polish like Brasso; just use walnut or corn cob with Nu-Finish car polish (not a wax). Brass polishes can embrittle the brass and cause it to crack when fired. Better to shoot it or tear it down fairly soon and treat it with citric acid later to get rid of corrosion.

I would be concerned that other products might creep into places water couldn't get and cause problems not already in existence. I know you didn't mention it but an example of this is Kroil. It will creep right in where water can't go in a one molecule thick film.

Good luck with your recovery!

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Derek,

Since we can't be sure what you mean by "brass polish" please don't use any brass polish like Brasso; just use walnut or corn cob with Nu-Finish car polish (not a wax). Brass polishes can embrittle the brass and cause it to crack when fired. Better to shoot it or tear it down fairly soon and treat it with citric acid later to get rid of corrosion.

I would be concerned that other products might creep into places water couldn't get and cause problems not already in existence. I know you didn't mention it but an example of this is Kroil. It will creep right in where water can't go in a one molecule thick film.

Good luck with your recovery!

David
    Sorry I should have been more specific, this is "cabelas brand brass polish" that came with my media tumbler. I'm still using up the original bottle.

Thanks Yall!

Banned
    If you need to free up any stuck metal

(ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): works faster and cheaper than anything I have found.

Rust Remover
    “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils.
    the torque required to loosen them.
    PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
    Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
    Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
    (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    If you need to free up any stuck metal

(ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): works faster and cheaper than anything I have found.

Rust Remover
    “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils.
    the torque required to loosen them.
    PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
    Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
    Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
    (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.
    lol I think that's the 3rd time you've posted that for me I'm already a believe of the ATF/Acetone magic. Luckily we got to the presses in time and it was just a bit of surface rust. They are still sliding just fine.

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

When that fellow got a "fail to extract" and if he didn't see the bullet impact down range, he should have checked the barrel for obstruction. IMHO

Banned

the shot shell stuff is steel.
    a little corrosion around the primer is gonna happen.
    don't panic give it a go.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    lol I think that's the 3rd time you've posted that for me I'm already a believe of the ATF/Acetone magic. Luckily we got to the presses in time and it was just a bit of surface rust. They are still sliding just fine.
    It's good stuff, I just don't remember who I share it with. better 1 person twice than miss someone who needs it