RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swiss vetterli 71 sniper

Boolit Master

And the Lebel is better but the lebel is more scarce around here
    Last edited by skeettx; 09-18-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Boolit Man
    I dont think so, Graf is selling them in USA. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...ategoryId/792?

Boolit Master

Great looking rifle. I've got one that the bore wasn't cleaned before I got it as it looks like a sewer pipe looking down. Got it at a auction in Texas back in the early 80s.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

Out of stock
    Item #: PPU8X50R
    $0.80 per round
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Man
    Yesterday I went to my range with 50 rounds (lebel case 44mm trimming, lee bullet 430-310, Vhitavuori N110 powder plus dacron) in three different loads from 18 to 20 grains. Just to give an aid to my old eyes I JB welded an old Weaver 329 on N4 sidemount with a nice oldtimer look. My good micrometer tell me Lee .430bullets are .429 while bore (slugged) is .433. Well, results at 110 yards despite scope and set trigger were tragic. It wasn't easy to put a bullet on a square 30"x30" paper Target. But I'm quite stubborn so I'll try some beagling or resizing my other Lee 457-340 bullets. Another idea could be made a custom smooth undersized mold for bullets to be paper patched. Any suggestionsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	weav1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	205869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weav2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	205870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weav3.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	205871?

Boolit Master
    Maybe you could just paper patch your .429 until it fits snugly into your fired case, then see if it chambers easily. If it chambers it should shoot satisfactorily. I had similar results with a .429 bullet until I paper patched it, and my groove dia. is .435. Went from about a two foot group down to about 4" at 50 yds, not good but better. I cant remember what load I used , probably Unique, but the next time I try this rifle I'll use black powder or a duplex load. I really do need to spend some time and effort with this gun as they are really interesting and fun.

My compliments! Please keep us up to date on casting and loading progress, I wonder if Starline would eventually make brass for this and the 8x50R Lebel since they both have the same head...

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by quail4jake View Post
    My compliments! Please keep us up to date on casting and loading progress, I wonder if Starline would eventually make brass for this and the 8x50R Lebel since they both have the same head...
    Here in Europe Starline case are imports, that means expensive, while 8 lebel Prvi Partizan are cheap, easy to find and to convert.
    BTW I've just ordered in the States the dedicated Accurate Molds 43-330B .435 diameter and in the meanwhile I'll try PP bullets.

Boolit Master
    Fine looking rifle. I could have bought one of these from my LGS in virtually new condition for $20 USD in 1970.
    No one had gotten around to converting these to centerfire back then, or at least no one I knew had heard of such a conversion.

Wish I'd gone ahead and picked it up as a wall hanger.

Boolit Man
    Well, just to have a better bullet I've ordered Accurate Molds the 43-330B mold .435 custom diameter. Waiting for the new mold yesterday I loaded 25 round with 20 grs Vhitavuori N110 and 25 with 18 grs. Starting reloading I discovered why my first handloading attempt last week was so terrible: the darn Lee funnel!!!!! This funnel work on the mouth of the case sealing it but with these old style cases the funnel stops on the shoulder and the mouth is no sealed so many grains of powder fall on the ground. Indeed when finished I've noticed powder on the floor but I tought my trembling hands did that mess filling the powder measure. Anyway yesterday I handloaded accurately with my old shotgun funnel and got my bullets paper patched with sigarette (long size) paper, casually the right thickness for .430 bullet and .433 bore. Today I got these results at 55 yds. Nothing to brag but happy for the rifle being no erratic. The group with 11 holes was realized with 20grs powder while other with 18 grs. I didn't count rounds but I think they were about 21-22. I've noticed, maybe due to the long barrel, point of impact move too much when barrel become warm. In the target with a lot of holes, first three round were the three vertical touching on the top. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cart.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	206301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ros20.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	206302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ros18.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	206303
    Last edited by artu44; 10-21-2017 at 01:43 PM.

This is getting interesting and good on you for glueing the mount on instead of D&T.
    I hope your new mould improves your already good results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12