Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.5x55 Swede questions

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    hi JonB

I have a m/94 bullet sitting in front of me and a digital caliper: .2635" Most of the Swedish m/94 bullets I've measured were .263".

Dutch
    I stand corrected.
    My 96 had a groove diameter of .2675
    I used the Hornady Carcano bullet 160gr (.267)
    I shouldn't have generalized.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    With jacketed bullets, the 6.5x55 is no more difficult to load than other bottleneck rifle cartridges. Heck, just get Hornady bullets and seat them to the cannelure. Unless you're trying to hot rod it (and I don't know why one would), any medium burning rate powder will give good results. I've loaded a lot of IMR 4895 in the 6.5x55 (H4895 would work too). You may not get maximum velocity, but you will have powder on hand you can load several bullet weights in 6.5x55, as well as a lot of other cartridges with if you so choose. Since you're low on the learning curve, keep it simple.

Boolit Grand Master
    Buckshot told me about milsurp WC-860 powder being a real good match to the 6.5 x 55--a full case (55.0 grains in my brass) and any 140 grain spitzer provided 1896-era ballistics (2400-2450 FPS in the Ruger's 22" barrel) and SUPERB accuracy. My rifle dotes on every 140 grain jacketed bullet I have tried in it--NosParts & Hornady #2630 getting the bulk of the work. Just another route to rifle enjoyment.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Mold
    Thats alot to read ant take in. Thanks again guys. Im sure ill be asking more very soon.

Boolit Mold
    Im having a hard time finding soft lead to slug the bore with. Ive read somewhere that a fishing weight is soft enough. Can anyone confirm this before i screw up?

Yes, most fishing sinkers are lead but, I live in a state where they must be non lead like zinc. Stoopid loons eat em!

You can also use muzzle loader balls, roof flashing or most stick on wheel weights (SOWW).
    Last edited by Yodogsandman; 09-19-2017 at 09:48 PM.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomas View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I did consider reloading for my pistols first but all I own is 9mm and 40cal. So the easier 38 or 357 is out. And If I buy a wheel gun to use for a reloading learning curve I'll be sleeping on the couch for a month. And trust me, my couch is not comfy.
    I did find a fellow that reloads that is close to my area. He did invite me over for a few lessons.
    I will find or order some soft lead for slugging the bore, I just read about that here on the forum. Once I find out the bore diameter I'll look for a source of boolits.
    I saw Taurus 38sp P+ on sale this month for well under $200. Great place to start if you don't have a wheelgun.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Like Higgins said, a 'standard press and dies', READ multiple how to reload manuals and books. Watch out for all the boogie men on the INTERNET. Start with standard jacketed bullets from Hornady, Sierra, Speer. The 6.5 x 55 is no more difficult to load than the 308 or 270 WITH 'standard jacketed bullets'. After you are successful with standard loading procedures with jacketed bullets than start the cast bullet journey. the 6.5 x 55 is a well proven cartridge and should be very enjoyable. Powder Valley should have 6.5 x 55 brass and bullets at reasonable prices, Graf's, Midsouth, MidwayUSA are other useful shopping sites online. Amazon carries a lot of shooting and reloading equipment and BOOKS on reloading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12