WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K98 7.62 NATO Conversions - any hands-on knowledge?

Boolit Master

OBD - thanks for reminding me of the existence of the Ludwig Olsen book; been meaning to add that to the library for years. . .and now I have.

Brownell's has 10% stiffer mag springs for about 20 bucks, and that pretty obviously wants to be done regardless of what else might be going on, but at least now I'll be getting box spec requirements to factor in as well. Unfortunately, NO order to Brownell's is EVER as simple as getting JUST a magazine spring. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a Spanish FR8 cause I thought it'd be neat to have a threaded 308 Mauser. Long story short yeah it shot great suppressed but it almost always jammed up on the left side of the magazine. I think the 7.62 nato have less body taper than 8mm had something to do with it. Between that & thats sights not being that great I promptly traded it to my friend for a new Sig scorpion 938 which is my throw away carry piece.

My friend loves that stinkin' thing though so we both win.
    I collect exotic ammo, if you have something interesting let me know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasakifreak77 View Post
    I bought a Spanish FR8 cause I thought it'd be neat to have a threaded 308 Mauser. Long story short yeah it shot great suppressed but it almost always jammed up on the left side of the magazine. I think the 7.62 nato have less body taper than 8mm had something to do with it. Between that & thats sights not being that great I promptly traded it to my friend for a new Sig scorpion 938 which is my throw away carry piece.

My friend loves that stinkin' thing though so we both win.
    That indicates to me that the cartridges are/were being pinched at the shoulder. The solution is to open the box in that area. It is not to open the feed rails. You ought to advise your friend of this.
    USMC 6638

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    A few years back, I scored a Fed-Ord Mauser 98 that had probably been swapped over to a military profile .308 barrel back in the '80's. I expect little more than the barrel was changed because it's not the most reliably-feeding bolt gun you'll run across. Would like to get it behaving properly.

Anybody familiar with the Israeli and other 7.62 NATO conversions? Specifically what exactly was done in making the change? Fact, not theory please.
    On at least some of the Federal Ordinance rebuilds the 7.62x51 barrels have a .310 groove diameter with a 10" twist, which is really an opportunity after the initial "huh?" wears off.

Please try the Spring before you do anything with the rails!! and let us Know.

Boolit Man
    I have one that is on a steyr 98 action with a 2 groove springfield rock island barrel chamber in 308 the barrel is dated 28 it has a reeeaaaallly loooong 30-06 throat i guess whoever did it just shaved the threads off cleaned it up with a 308 reamer re threaded it screwed it checked headspace and called it good. they left the original springfield front sight and drilled and tapped it for a lyman 48 witch it wears and shoots really good if you have a looooong boolit or bullet. I have a friend that calls it my "ugly ol' meatgetter" I like it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12