RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top velocity for a 1322 with mods

Top velocity for a 1322 with mods

A question for some of you who have done valve, port, and piston mods on the 13xx.
    What kind of velocity increase could I expect from a 1322 from these type mods, but keeping the stock bbl?

I see no one is answering you . You might try the crosman forum . I have stayed away from the piston mods . Most increase wear rapidly on the pumping linkage .Due to the added pressures . The stock internal will support up to a 24 inch barrel with a increase in performance .And that is how I have gone is with longer barrels . Rule of thumb is 10 fps increase with each inch . Just crony my 1740 with the 12 inch barrel today . With the 7 inch barrel it averaged 500 fps with 8 grain pellets . Today with the 12 inch barrel it averaged 560 fps . with the same pellet . GL Marvin

I have done very little with mine, added a scope base, and I stay away from the guts.

I don't need more power. If I want more power I grab a different airgun.

But I do love the 1322 for its light weight, compact design, and accuracy.
    It will do what you need it to do.

But if you need to be pushing the sound barrier you need a different rifle.
    Like the Hatsan 135 QE. Or a powder burner if that is still not enough.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by melloairman View Post
    I see no one is answering you . You might try the crosman forum . I have stayed away from the piston mods . Most increase wear rapidly on the pumping linkage .Due to the added pressures . The stock internal will support up to a 24 inch barrel with a increase in performance .And that is how I have gone is with longer barrels . Rule of thumb is 10 fps increase with each inch . Just crony my 1740 with the 12 inch barrel today . With the 7 inch barrel it averaged 500 fps with 8 grain pellets . Today with the 12 inch barrel it averaged 560 fps . with the same pellet . GL Marvin
    That's a nice little increase with just 5 more inches of bbl. HHmmm, hadn't really considered the over taxing the pump mechanism thing.
    I've seen several reports on the "new" p series 1322s hitting 500 fps. with 13 to 14 gr. pellets right out of the box, and while that's not bad at all, i wish i could coax another 100 fps. out of one for a bit flatter 50 yd. trajectory with the stock 10 1/4" bbl.

I don't have a 1322 at this time, but have enjoyed my 1377 so much, i was considering getting one in .22 cal.
    I consider my 1377 perfect right where it is around 600 fps. It shoots pretty flat to 40 yds. with the stock iron sights and i don't have to hold up much front sight above the rear at 50 yds. at all to hit 12 oz. coke cans turned end ways with a 6:00 hold on the bottom of it.

Sounds like just adding a longer(maybe 20") bbl. to a 1322 might just get me where i want to be with that.
    Still should have a very light weight carbine with a shoulder stock added on.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I have done very little with mine, added a scope base, and I stay away from the guts.

I don't need more power. If I want more power I grab a different airgun.

But I do love the 1322 for its light weight, compact design, and accuracy.
    It will do what you need it to do.

But if you need to be pushing the sound barrier you need a different rifle.
    Like the Hatsan 135 QE. Or a powder burner if that is still not enough.

Just my opinion.
    Not looking to push the sound barrier with it, but just a bit flatter 50 yd. trajectory.
    I have found that with a shoulder stock attached, i shoot my 1377 offhand just as well as my 392. It fits me just right and is even lighter and handier than the 392.

The 392 has all the power i need for small game hunting with an airgun, but the little 13xx guns are even lighter and handier than my 392.
    If i could get a 1322 shooting around 600 fps. with 10 pumps, i'd be an extremely happy camper.

I may pick one up and try mellowairmans suggestion of a longer(no more than 20" though) bbl. Sounds like that might get me close to where i want to be and have a .22 carbine that's still lighter and handier than even the 392.

Lol, that 392 is still in a class all it's own though. Wouldn't be without one.

Agree that the longer barrel is probably the easiest place to start.

One thing to watch. When you pull the original barrel take careful note of which way the transfer port is. One side has a bigger hole than the other as I remember.

As for putting the new barrel on, after dropping and almost losing the transfer port 3 times I cheated. I grabbed a corner off a carmel, warmed and softened it and used it to "Stick" the transfer port into place so it would not fall out.

Agree that the longer barrel is probably the easiest place to start.

One thing to watch. When you pull the original barrel take careful note of which way the transfer port is. One side has a bigger hole than the other as I remember.

As for putting the new barrel on, after dropping and almost losing the transfer port 3 times I cheated. I grabbed a corner off a carmel, warmed and softened it and used it to "Stick" the transfer port into place so it would not fall out.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Not looking to push the sound barrier with it, but just a bit flatter 50 yd. trajectory.
    I have found that with a shoulder stock attached, i shoot my 1377 offhand just as well as my 392. It fits me just right and is even lighter and handier than the 392.

The 392 has all the power i need for small game hunting with an airgun, but the little 13xx guns are even lighter and handier than my 392.
    If i could get a 1322 shooting around 600 fps. with 10 pumps, i'd be an extremely happy camper.

I may pick one up and try mellowairmans suggestion of a longer(no more than 20" though) bbl. Sounds like that might get me close to where i want to be and have a .22 carbine that's still lighter and handier than even the 392.

Lol, that 392 is still in a class all it's own though. Wouldn't be without one.
    The standard barrel lengths are 18 and 24 . http://www.alchemyairwerks.com/ sometimes has different lengths . You could put a 22 barrel on you 1377 if you wanted to . The standard barrel is held in with a shoulder in the front sight that keeps the barrel from moving forward . Since the plastic receiver does not have a set screw to hold the barrel in place . I guess you could drill and tap it for one . The front sight has to be replaced or you can drill it out to except the longer barrel . A metal breech would be best IMO and that would give you a dove tail as well . You can use your breech as I stated all you need to replace if you do is the probe . I have bought quite a bit from Alchemy and just ordered a left hand receiver for one of my 1740 . Right thumb and a finger are sore from all the shooting . This will allow me to rest the right hand some . Marvin

melloairman,

The steel breech is the way i'm thinking of going with a new 1322. Lol, i'm not touching my 1377 untill something goes wrong with it(hopefully never)....it's just stupid accurate the way it came from the factory. It came with a really good bore. My brother wasn't as lucky and had to send his first one back, but got a good one as a replacement. The first one had a definite gouge line across the rifling lenthwise for most of the bore.

I noticed on the crosman custom sight, that the crosman bbls. come with a flat on the muzzle end? I take it you could use one of the air rifle front sights that just slide over the end of the bbl. if you wanted the option of front and rear sights?
    At some point i would probably scope it, so i definitly want the steel breech and probably a metal bbl. band, although i may try it free floated just to see how it does, or just drill out the plastic bbl. band for starters.

Also, thanks for the link to Alchemy.

Ghost Hawk,
    Thanks for the tip on the port. I've done a lot of research on the xx guns, but hadn't seen that mentioned at all.
    I had a lever action daisy bb gun when i was a kid and a daisy 880 when i was in my 20's that i used to shoot squirrels and plink with.
    I'm just getting back into airgunning @64, and am amazed at what's available now, and the fact that some of the "oldies" are still around that i wanted "way back when".
    Anyway, learning as i go. I figure i won't go to far wrong with any of it as long as i've got some of you guys that "have been there, done that"around to steer me in the right direction!!

What Melloairman said. Piston and valve mods will accelerate wear to your guns cocking linkage to gain higher velocities. Linkage can be replaced but once the mounting hole on the tube is enlarged from being over stressed there isn't much you can do and be cost effective.

I am pleased with the way mine performs. The only mods I have done are walnut furniture, steel breech, and upgraded rear sight. These mods alone cost more than 2X what I paid for the gun but they are nice and to me, worth the money. As new, here are some velocity numbers from my 1322.
    RWS Hobby 11.9 gr-- 5 pumps- 410FPS, 7 pumps- 455fps, 10 pumps- 510fps
    H&N 12.65gr--5 pumps- 392fps, 7 pumps- 447fps, 10 pumps- 494fps
    H&N 21.1 gr-- 10 pumps- 399fps

You will never get that kind of velocity from a springer pistol. My Webley tempest can barely break 400fps with an 11.9gr pellet. It can't handle a heavy like the 21.1gr. averaging 260fps which is BB gun velocity.

To get the power out of the mods you are considering you to have to pump it up 15-20 times.
    I usually pump mine no more than 7X because I want to be shooting and not pumping. If need higher velocities I use my NP rifles which will deliver 750-800fps. If I want more power than that I break out the Hatsan 135 in 30 caliber which launches a 44.75 gr pellet at 550fps or a 50gr pellet at 520fps.
    Last edited by GunGuy2756; 09-21-2017 at 09:24 AM.

I would agree that if planning on a longer barrel a steel breech would be IMO a good idea. And give the option for a Red Dot or scope down the road.

Gunguy well there are springers and then there are springers.

I have a Hatsan 135 QE Vortex that was chrono'd 10 shots at over 1000 fps. Those were with lighter hobby pellets lighter than the 14.3's CPHP's I prefer. Best WAG I can make on that rifle with my pellets puts them somewhere in the middle of 900 fps range with energy in the mid 20's.

That's enough. I need more than that I grab a powder burner.

Boolit Master

Wait for Crosman Black Friday sale then order a 1300kt from the Custom Shop in 22. Free shipping 20% off. And you build it as you want it with all the extras. Well they build it, but you order it as you want it built.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm no expert on 1322 mods.... but I have a friend who is. Pete Nolla on Ebay is a friend and he did a bunch of mods on my 1322.....so now I have a super lightweight carbine that can exceed 600 fps and packs them into one hole.
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
    I'm no expert on 1322 mods.... but I have a friend who is. Pete Nolla on Ebay is a friend and he did a bunch of mods on my 1322.....so now I have a super lightweight carbine that can exceed 600 fps and packs them into one hole.
    Do those mods include a longer bbl? I called crosman the other day and was advised i could "probably" hit 540 to 560, maybe even as much as 580 fps. with just a 21" bbl. on 10 pumps.

Unfortunately i've got a 1377 that has developed a bit of slop with it's bbl. band. I said i wouldn't change anything from stock on it since it shot so accurate right out of the box.
    Now, i've got to do something with the bbl. band since it's affecting accuracy by letting the front sight lean from side to side slightly. Probably will wind up putting a steel breech on it too so.....my 1322 project may have to wait awhile now.

Boolit Master
    My 13XX in .22 with 24" barrel hits 587 FPS at 15 pumps. IIRC it was hitting around 535 at 10 and 565 at 12.

From what I've heard it might get higher velocity with a somewhat shorter barrel. Some say that these get the highest velocity with a 14 inch barrel.
    The amount of air the valve body will hold governs the barrel length that's the most efficient.

With a 24" barrel there's very little sound when fired. Seems to me a long barrel is as quite as a shorter barrel with a suppressor.

I had read that some folks lost a bit of velocity in the 13xx guns past 21" and that 14 to 18" was about optimum.

I also asked crosman about buying a bbl. for one and was told you have to buy the gun from the custom shop now to purchase bbls. for them.
    There are plenty of after market bbls. out there, but crosman sure seems to have the cheapest bbl. prices by far from what i've found.

I also heard 2240 and disco bbls. can be used, but you have to know the parts # to order from crosman.
    Lol, they make you have to work and do your own research to order from them. Not sure which way i'll go at this point.

Boolit Master
    I've bought two 24" barrels off Ebay at reduced prices of a little over $20. You just have to keep an eye out for deals like this.

Most Crosman pistols of recent vintage have barrels with the same chamber and transfer port position and the same diameter. Some older guns have minor variations, and some like my SSP 250 don't use a transfer port at all.

Generally when offered for sale the vendor will list the actions the barrel can be fitted to.

Multigunner,

Thanks for the info on the bbls. As i understand it some have used the disco bbls., but i think i read they require a bit of milling on the breech end for proper fit.
    I'm not set up to do anything like that, so i would definitly be looking for something already made to fit as you were talking about.

I do like the sound of the quiteness of the 24" bbl. you described. That would be a plus when hunting.

Boolit Buddy
    35 shooter, Yes It has a 21 inch barrel now. I need to check my notes.....20 something pumps can get a super heavy pellet(25 grains) to almost 600 fps but standard pellets are at that speed with 14 pumps if I remember correctly.......I prefer not to go to extremes so that is how I usually shoot it.
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

Treeman,

Thanks for letting me know your bbl. length. Those are some good chrono nos. too...especially with the heavier pellets. I like your bbl. length and that's exactly the length i've been considering.

Baker's Airguns has some pretty reasonable prices on bbls. cut and crowned from 7 to 24".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast