Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which brand brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Which brand brass?

I've got some nosler brass currently but looking to pick up 250 or so new cases. Federal is on sale at Midway, Starline is now making it, Nosler is out there and a few others. Shooting it out of a bolt action.

What would be your brand of choice. Looking for repeatable accuracy and I'm not in any competition. It's for a 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 09-15-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    What cartrage?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I would NOT buy Federal brass unless you can afford to shoot it once and then throw it away. In both .30-'06 and .308 Win. primer pockets in once-fired range brass were loose. Cases are soft!

Starline .308 Win brass is good!!!!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Lapua generally is the brass of choice for high accuracy needs. Federal seems to be softer and the primer pockets loosen the quickest.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-15-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    If they make your caliber, Peterson Cartridge would be my first choice for new brass.

Boolit Master

I have found that FREE is the best no matter how many shot's I get from it.

Boolit Master
    Nosler or Lapua.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry guys. 6.5 Creedmoor

If Winchester made it, that would be my first choice for price/performance.

Lapua is Lapua, and almost always the best choice if you want to spend that much.

Starline has been getting great reviews across their entire line of rifle brass. This is where I'd start.

I've also heard that Federal rifle brass is soft, and not worth reloading. For this reason I've never messed with it, but I've never had trouble selling whatever I've picked up to people who WANT Federal brass.

I have thrown away more Nosler brass in 338-06(expensive),308 Win. and 22-50 than any other brass due to loose primer pockets.Soft brass is Nosler brass.I no longer even consider Nosler brass,I like RP,Starline,WW for about any thing.

Moderator Emeritus

Hornady is on sale at Midsouth....they also have Lapua at nearly 3x the price of Hornady.

If I was ordering some today, those would be my choices...just depends on what you want to spend.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

A friend has two 6.5 Creedmores and has only used Hornady brass. I've not heard any complaints.
    I necked up 50 Hornady .308 to .358Win going on their 6th loading no problems here either.
    You can't give me Federal rifle brass.

Boolit Master
    I've done OK with Hornady brass.

I prefer Starline when I need new brass, but my needs have been in the straight walled revolver calibers rather than bottle necked rifles.

jd

double post

Boolit Master

I use what ever I can get from the range. Once sorted and processed the give me great accuracy and longevity.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Federal brass is poop.

Lapua then Norma in that order. Buy once, cry once. Minimally work the brass and it will last as long as your barrel.

Boolit Master
    I guess I've been more fortunate than most. I've seldom had any problem with any brass regardless of maker in 50+ years of handloading, though I almost always use new or once-fired, seldom range-pickup stuff.

I use what ever brass i can find and no problems.I use it till it gose one way or another. But that is just me for what work.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    One of the best gun articles I've read about brass since I started reading that stuff in 1962 was published in HANDLOADER magazine around 2008, I believe. The author did some extensive research and evaluation using a .308 rifle and all the brands of brass, primers, and 165-168 gr. jacketed bullets that were available at the time. One powder was used, Varget, and the same charge, near maximum as I recall, was used in all loads. The author evaluated accuracy by changing one component at a time. Brass was used to the point it either failed or showed some indication it was no longer usable.

Surprisingly, at least to me, Remington brass was either at the top or close to the top in durability. Seems he got around twenty-five loads with it. I realize many think all that's now changed for the worse and they are convinced or maybe actually have reason to believe Remington brass is trash now. Maybe it is; I don't know and I'm not attempting to promote Remington brass. Pretty common knowledge that cast bullet shooters usually get far better mileage from brass than those who shoot only jacketed loads.

Anyway, I'm sure others here have read the article. For those who haven't, it's well worth reading. I regret not having a link to it, but perhaps someone here does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast