MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: WTS: Anyone want to make an offer on approx 40+ lbs of #4 split shot

Boolit Bub

WTS: Anyone want to make an offer on approx 40+ lbs of #4 split shot

09-12-2017: SOLD PENDING FUNDS TO BRANDON

EDIT ADDED TO POST ON 09-11-2017

My fault for not giving a better description. This is NOT the fishing item, i.e., a round lead ball with a narrow slit down it wherein one inserts fishing line and then crimps it with pliers (or bare teeth as attested to by one good pard - LOL). Rather it is actually #4 shot split into two distinct hemispheres. Doubt it could be used for fishing. Suspect, as other good pards have suggested, that it was used in shotshell reloading for spreader loads or person-defense loads.

I'll leave the post open for a few more days in the event someone believes they have a use for it ... then it will do its final duty for the fatherland (love that line from old war movies) by being melted into ingots for future casting into bullets.

Thanks again to some good replies by good pards.

This is an item I bot years ago from at a gun store's going out of business sale. Had to take it along with a batch of other things that were bundled up at one price. As best I remember my cost is around $2 a pound.

They are in a cloth sack (the type used for bagging bulk coins) and it is marked #4 shot split and 38#. I used an ultra high-tech means of weighing (our bathroom scales with my weight minus my weight+the sack) and came up with 41.4 lbs. So it's one or the other , take your pick.

The shot is split in two. Not sure what it would be used for as the split shot would seem IMHO to spread faster and possibly fly more erratically. I can see that it might be used for "spreader" loads when one wanted a more open pattern from a full-choke shotgun barrel or if one wanted to use it for loading close-range defensive loads.

Anyway, that's it. If anyone is curious about it I'll be glad to mail 'em a few pieces.

My thot when I bot it and what I was about to do is to melt it down into bullets. I've read in a number of sources that shot tends to be hard, often with both antimony and arsenic (just a wee tad, I'm told) to harden it. Think that the shot, with a bit of tin added for better casting characteristics, would cast some excellent bullets.

Before I melt 'em down, howsomeever, thot I'd run it by in the event someone has a use for the shot and wants to make me an offer.

Now ... to ship it in a medium USPS flat rate box will cost $13 so factor that into the total price if you are interested.

Plz PM me with an offer if interested. Ditto if you want me to mail you a few pieces for examination. Otherwise it'll hit the melting pot.

Thanks

Fort Reno Kid
    Last edited by fortrenokid; 09-12-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Well, I don't know why split shot would be in a gun store..........but it's used in fishing. Clamp a few pieces around your leader and voila'.......instant weight.

Good source of fairly soft lead though.

Banned

That would be enough for bluegill fishing for the rest of your life and then some.

Boolit Master
    Bag them up-30 per bag and mark them as split shot. Go to the nearest river and ask the fisherman if they are handloaders. I usually buy about 10 bags a summer at 2.59 each even if I only use a bag or two. Rabbit season is right around the corner!

That alloy is not as hard as you might think. If so, I would have lost all my teeth at 10 or 11 years old.

Boolit Bub
    Howdy Pards

And thanks for the responses. Howsomeever, I don't think they're the split shot I see in fishing stores (I had a couple of "fishing uncles" who were absolutely dedicated to their endeavors). The split shot I remember was a sphere with a narrow,deep cut in it. One inserted fishing line into the split lead ball and crimped it with pliers. And it was on for good!

These are actual pieces of shot split in two; into two essentially equal-size hemispheres. Perhaps one could place them on each side of a fishing line and crimp 'em hard enough with pliers for them to stay.

I suspect that they're designed for loading shotgun shells. They'd prob be good for close in work, for mixing with regular #4 to get a wider pattern, or for self-defense loads. Anyway, that's the best my feeble mind has come up with. Be glad to hear from others with your thoughts/theories.

And if anyone is really curious, send me your mailing address and I'll mail a few of 'em to ya.

Thanks again

Fort Reno Kid

In Remembrance

Spreader shot for shotshells used in brushy situations.Robert

Boolit Master
    that has to sound wicked going over your head.

Boolit Bub

Factory Seconds from a buckshot company?

Boolit Man
    Pics?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    You asked for offers . . . how about my amazing chicken who can play the fiddle and I'll toss in my three legged blind goat and turtle that lost its shell in a bar fight? Shipped collect of course!

Seems like someone ought to be able to use these, f for nothing more than to put a handful down the front end of a muzzleloading shotgun/trade gun to go burny hunting or for critters.

For what it is worth that shot would be approx. between #12 and #9 so it might be useful as either snake, or starling load in pistols. Or shotguns but the small size / higher number of pellets would make more difference in a 41, 44 or 45 pistol case. I seem to recall reading an article that showed test targets where #12 gave good coverage from pistol at ranges where 7 1/2 to 8 or so was fairly patchy.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

You should be able to add photos right in your post.

Wish I was not trying to get ready to move or I would be interested.

Michael Grace
    +1 on PIF's

Boolit Bub
    sold pending funds to brandon.