Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Lyman 45 lubrisizer

Boolit Master

My 4500 was initially misaligned but with a little time has worn into alignment, or should I say it got sloppy enough that all is well now. You might try just putting some bullet lube on the stem to just stick it in place. While the 4500 has done fine with time, I would probably buy the RCBS unit if I did it again. I've since come up with a 45, which has done fine too, just seems to require more effort.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    Try placing a thin shim on the back side of the die if possible before tightening the screw.
    plus 1.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I just looked at a 45 I use as well as a 450.They both size bullets concentrically.They both have a bit of play in the mechanism.I my case it doesn't effect anything.It might be possible to have a machine shop convert the 45 to use the retaining nut from a 4500 but you would probably have to furnish the tap and a special thread tap would be expensive.Drills and Cutters.com probably has the correct tap though.

Boolit Buddy

Cool shoot the darn things!

Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    I just looked at a 45 I use as well as a 450.They both size bullets concentrically.They both have a bit of play in the mechanism.I my case it doesn't effect anything.It might be possible to have a machine shop convert the 45 to use the retaining nut from a 4500 but you would probably have to furnish the tap and a special thread tap would be expensive.Drills and Cutters.com probably has the correct tap though.
    Load some and shoot them. You may find out that they shoot fine as is. I know that may offend the perfectionists out there, but I have often found that less than perfect pistol bullets shoot just fine!

Boolit Master

When I'm using my 45 I can only slightly tighten the Allen set screw or it will leak the warmed lube. If I don't keep an eye on it, it will back out after 25-30 boolits. I actually leave a Allen wrench in it to easly keep it tightened the way I like it. You can possably deepen the set screw groove a bit so it holds the die in place but still have a little wiggle room as so not to be jammed to the back so hard with the set screw making it out of alignment.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMoccasin View Post
    Load some and shoot them. You may find out that they shoot fine as is. I know that may offend the perfectionists out there, but I have often found that less than perfect pistol bullets shoot just fine!
    I am going to do just that when my barrel gets back from Dougguy. Should be here in a day or two.

Do you have access to a lathe? Cut a small groove around the top punch, use a little longer set screw and let the top punch float. It won't fall out with the set screw in the groove.

Quote Originally Posted by stubert View Post
    Do you have access to a lathe? Cut a small groove around the top punch, use a little longer set screw and let the top punch float. It won't fall out with the set screw in the groove.
    No I don't. I could cut a groove or notch with my dremel tool though. That should accomplish the same thing. Good suggestion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12