Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Back in the saddle with 9mm...

Boolit Master

Back in the saddle with 9mm...

My new Glock G19FS arrived today. It's the only 9mm I own, now. My carry pistol is a little Springfield Armory XDS in .40 S&W and for the woods, I have a Glock G29 and BH Bisley in .45 Colt.

I had a little S&W 439 back in high school in 9mm, then sold it shortly after and got a Ruger D90 in .45acp. Over the last 30 years I have carried either a .40, .45acp, .357 Sig, 10mm, or .357 Magnum for protection.

I bought a little S&W Shield last Fall in 9mm and owned it just long enough to confirm the barrel was bad and to let S&W try to fix it. They couldn't. Replaced it with the XDS since I liked having a small EDC.

Bought this Glock for GSSF matches and am not sure if I'm going to bother reloading for it or not. Went to the LGS and grabbed a few boxes of various ammo to see what will work best for a match next weekend, but was surprised to realize that 9mm is only a buck or two cheaper a box than .40 S&W.

If I can get a 2" or so group at 25yds with off-the-shelf cheap stuff, then I'll likely go that route.

My new toy:

Attachment 204088

Boolit Master

Well, I shot the new pistol today and was able to get a 2 1/8" group at 25yds using off-the-shelf cheap Remington UMC 124gr ammo...

Boolit Master
    Congrats on your new pistol!

I hope it turns out to be what ya wanted!

For me, I would like to shoot one someday. Just have not run into anyone who has one, that I know of anyway...

I do most of my shooting & such with family & once in a blue moon...a few friends. No one that I shoot with has one...

yet.

G'luck & have fun!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    In my experience, Glocks tend to be more accurate than the internet would have you believe. I'm not surprised at the accuracy you got and good luck in the matches!!!

Banned

The Gen 5 rifling is supposed to be 2" at 25 yards. The old rifling was supposed to be 4" at 25 yards. The Gen 5 is a serious overall improvement. We shall see. Ransom testing showed the old Glock to be "servicable" but no tack driver. At one time/currently David Tubbs used polygonal rifling. So it can work. Lloyd has the skills to make it work. I would like to see him get a Gen 5 and report back on the claim that they are twice as accurate.

Boolit Master
    I've owned and shot a decent number of Glocks through the years. Most shot under 4 inches at 25 yards with most decent ammunition. Troof is most people nowadays aren't up to getting 4 inches or less
    At 25 yards with any handgun, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

I am one. An average shooter who hopes for a center mass hit. I might be at the 51st percentile. I live with the shame.

Boolit Master
    Now the whole inter web knows your shame, lol.

Boolit Master

All of the Glocks I've owned (15 or twenty) they were all two inch guns. My first was a 19 in late '89. Except one. I have an old gen 2 19 that with Federal 9mm BPLE 115 grain will go into an inch. I think that someone who could really shoot could get it down to maybe 3/4. This is at 25 yards.

It's a keeper.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

I bought a Storm Lake match barrel for it and took it out today hoping to get even better groups, but 2" at 25yds is plenty good for my GSSF matches.

It shot worse...

I've tried seven different types of ammo in this pistol and it ONLY likes Remington UMC 124gr and 115gr, and Winchester White Box 115gr. Those were the only ones that produced acceptable accuracy in either barrel. Everything else ranged from 4" to 8".

The whole reason I bought this pistol was to be able to shoot in GSSF matches without going through the time and expense of reloading. And the hope that lower recoiling 9mm would bring my scores up...

Hard to believe that the Storm Lake barrel increased group sizes. Best stock was the 2 1/8". Best with the SL barrel was 3".

Attachment 204186

Stock barrel...

Attachment 204187

Boolit Master
    Have you tried the Winchester 9mm NATO ammo? I usually get good results with it. The Winchester white box 147 gr hollow points usually are very accurate as well.

Boolit Master

I am pretty limited in ammo choices around here. Buying a box of ammo online gets really expensive really fast. I've already spent $100 on ammo and had to drive 100 mile round trip to the nearest Sportsman's Warehouse to get something other than 9mm in 115gr. Oddly enough, the ONLY grain size the local WalMart sells is 115gr. in the plinking ammo.

There is an LGS I will check out today. Typically they are pretty high, but it's cheaper than paying shipping and hazmat when ordering online...

I also sent an email to Stormlake asking about their twist rate and what grain of bullet they suggest.

Boolit Master

The cheap Wally World ammo, TulAmmo and WW USA Forged, all worked great in any Glock 9mm I ran. So cheap it's not worth reloading for it. And accurate through any Glock 9mm I ran it through.

I was about to by a FSG17, but it was $50 more than the Gen5 G17 I ended up with. They do look good!

I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    Ummm, I may be mistaken and often am, but I don't believe you pay hazmat on loaded ammunition. Only pay it on powder and primers as far as I know.

Boolit Master

Stopped by the LGS and they had a few more choices but absolute cheapest was Blazer aluminum at $11 a box. All of their "cheap" ammo was around $15 a box. But, a box of Speer Gold Dots in 124gr was $15 for 100, so I may just bit the boolit and start reloading 9mm since this is a competition gun and I enjoy it anyway.