Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: 9mm Lyman 147 gr 356637

Boolit Mold

9mm Lyman 147 gr 356637

I have a Lyman 9mm 147 grain mold that I want to try to load for. I can not find load data for this other than the Lyman manual (Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition). I have loaded a few with Power Pistol but have not tried them yet. Anyone else have any thoughts on this bullet and loads for it?
    Thanks,
    Gary

Boolit Master
    Find a starting load for another .356" 147gr. projectile and try it. Work up gradually, increasing by 0.1 gr., until you get desired results or signs of over-pressure. With heavy bullets in 9x19mm, please be sure you adhere to their minimum cartridge overall length, or longer. Seating big bullets just a little bit too deep can jack up pressures quickly. Do you have other propellants you can try?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I got rid of the 356637 mold I had. The nose design is such that the boolit needs to be seated too deeply into the case for best feeding in many pistols. There are other designs out there that work much better and are designed to put more weight in the nose of the boolit outside the case.
    The Lyman 358212(hard to find) and the NOE 358-155-TC(ELCO) are excellent designs for this. The NOE mold is 147 grains in it's hollow point configuration and works well loaded long.
    These boolits allow the OAL to be near max and have plenty of room inside the case for powder. The NOE in particular has less boolit inside the case than some 120 grain boolits.
    You get less pressure and less chance of swaging the base due to deep seating the boolit.
    There are undoubtedly others that fit this description as well.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Find a starting load for another .356" 147gr. projectile and try it. Work up gradually, increasing by 0.1 gr., until you get desired results or signs of over-pressure. With heavy bullets in 9x19mm, please be sure you adhere to their minimum cartridge overall length, or longer. Seating big bullets just a little bit too deep can jack up pressures quickly. Do you have other propellants you can try?
    Of those listed in the Lyman manual I have Bullseye, Unique and #7; I also have 231, #2, #5 and a little Trap 100. I will try the 50 rounds I have loaded to make sure I don't have feeding problems as tazman mentioned. I have a 92FS, Ruger American & Shield that I can try this load in.

Start with the 92FS. They usually feed just about anything and will possible give you a good reading on your brass and performance.

Boolit Master
    I bought that mould not long after it was introduced and eventually sold it. I believe it cast the bullet diameter it was supposed to, but it was too small for my 9mm handguns. Accuracy was poor. In a tightly bored pistol, the design would probably make for an excellent bullet.

I just look in my Lyman 49th ed and for that cast boolit for Powder Pistol starting is 4.1grs. and max is 4.6 grs OAL is 1.058 with #2 alloy
    Last edited by trapper9260; 09-16-2017 at 08:37 PM.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    3.0 of Bullseye worked good for me with a bullet that looked just like that one that I used to buy from a commercial caster.
    3.2 of Titegroup did also, pretty sure that's over Lyman's data but a mess of USPSA shooters use the load.
    Whatever bullet it was I could load it to 1.12 in my Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Beef15 View Post
    3.0 of Bullseye worked good for me with a bullet that looked just like that one that I used to buy from a commercial caster.
    3.2 of Titegroup did also, pretty sure that's over Lyman's data but a mess of USPSA shooters use the load.
    Yes ,the Titegroup is over by lyman data in the 49th ed I just check .they got 2.5 for start and 2.8 for max. As for Bullseye the start is 2.8 and max is 3.5 . Hope this help also
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    I had pretty good luck with 5.6gr of Blue Dot at 1.09 and 3.7gr of WSF at 1.07. Had trouble getting faster powders like Bullseye to stabilize, even in a CZ clone with a fairly fast twist rate. My notes say the Blue Dot load "might be a touch hot" but I did have some of them dropping as heavy as 153, so that might contribute. Let us know how Power Pistol works for you, it is on my list to try

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef15 View Post
    I also have a box I bought from "KEAD" brand cast bullets, Garland, Texas 20+ years ago. They have a different shape from the Lyman. Apparently I have never tried them!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by joebaja View Post
    I had pretty good luck with 5.6gr of Blue Dot at 1.09 and 3.7gr of WSF at 1.07. Had trouble getting faster powders like Bullseye to stabilize, even in a CZ clone with a fairly fast twist rate. My notes say the Blue Dot load "might be a touch hot" but I did have some of them dropping as heavy as 153, so that might contribute. Let us know how Power Pistol works for you, it is on my list to try
    Last Friday I tried the 147 grain Lyman 9mm’s with Power Pistol and #7.
    Power Pistol 6.1 and 6.2 grains, OAL 1.09
    #7, 6.4 and 6.6 grains, OAL 1.12
    All loads functioned in the 92FS but with some leading.
    Power Pistol loads worked in the Ruger American but the #7 loads the rounds would go in the chamber but would not lock up; I suspect it may be the OAL with that Boolit rather than not enough powder. No leading in the Ruger American.
    I did not try these loads in the Shield.

I picked up a pound of WSF at the Dallas Gun Show Saturday which will be another experiment later.