RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T./C percussion breech plug - Senaca, Cherokee, Patriout - 13/16" barrel

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	204585
    Perhaps a plain Breach Plug with a Drum and Nipple would do the job as seen here.

Boolit Master

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	204586another view,this one I cut with an integral tang,it was for a Flintlock but would take a Drum and nipple.

Boolit Master

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	204587

Boolit Master

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	204588

Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	204586another view,this one I cut with an integral tang,it was for a Flintlock but would take a Drum and nipple.

Nice machine work, but not applicable here.

You might want to figure out how your suggested breechplug will hook into the OP's T/C rear tang like a T/C breechplug is designed to do (below).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I'd give Bob Hoyt a shout and see if he has one lying around. You never know...
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I'm in the same boat . I got a .36 and want to build a .45 drop in . The plug has to be made exactly like Thompson made them . There is a groove under the bolster that fits over the lock plate so that the plate is locked in as long as the barrel is pinned into the stock . Not sure any of the other patent breeches do that . I had a lock bolt fall out on a very remote hunt and that one feature allowed me to continue the hunt and down my meat . I'd hate to have to buy a $200-$300 used barrel just for the plug but that seems to be the only way I'll ever get one . Problem is most of the parts barrels I have seen are pitted . If I can find another .36 barrel I could have it bored and rifled to .45 but I really was hoping to use an aftermarket barrel .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    I think this is what you are looking for. If so send me a PM.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0635.jpg   DSC_0636.jpg   DSC_0637.jpg   DSC_0638.jpg  
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Yay! My search for what I needed has ended thanks to the kind help of Wayne R. Scott! The breech plug should work perfectly for making the 36 caliber drop in barrel for my T/C Seneca which now has a 45 cal. barrel. It will allow me to switch back and forth and with the .36, I may just go after some tree rats next year for old times sake!

The barrel length on a stock Seneca is 27" in length. I have a 36 cal. - 36" length Green Mountain barrel blank that I have had on the parts rack for probably twenty five years. I decided to remove the 45 cal barrel from the Seneca stock the other day and I laid in the 36 cal 36" blank just to see how it felt. Originally, my intentions were to cut the barrel back to match the 27" 45 stock barrel. Now I'm thinking that I am going to leave it at 36". The balance is good and it will give me a longer sight radius to use. If I don't like it, I can always cut it back shorter but I'm thinking the 36' will work out well.

The rifle was set up with a tang peep sight and a glow fiber front sight. My my eye issues, it is a good combination. I'll put the same type of front sight on the 36 cal. and leave the rear sight dovetail "un-cut". I'll take it with me to Arizona this winter and get the barrel set up - install the wedge loop, put an underbid and ramrod pips on and finish it in blue to match the existing finish on the rifle. It won't be a lot of work to do those things as I've done those operations on a barrel many times.

When I get to doing it, I'll post some photos so you can see how it turns out. I just started building a 40 caliber flintlock Bedford Style long rifle so I'll have plenty to keep me busy!

Thank you to everyone for your kind responses, information and help and a special thanks to Wayne R. Scott for the help with the breech plug I needed.

We may not always agree on things but we sure do discuss a lot and exchange of lot of good ideas and information on this site and I still continue to learn new things even after years of playing with BP and shooting. This site is like "family" and for many of us, an important part of our day to enjoy with a cup of coffee! I am personally very thankful for it.

Thanks again all - greatly appreciated!

Jim

Boolit Grand Master

Good for you. I have thought of doing that myself with some other guns. I have a Cabelas Hawken that came from the factory with a 58 and 50 barrel. I thought it would be neat to have some more options.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    You are just lucky that I went to an auction and bought two new in the box Green Mountain drop in barrels for T/C Hawken one in .32 and one in .40 cal. I needed to replace my mad money fund. I had to pay $25 each for them.
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Wayne - LOL . . . please know how lucky I am! Sounds like you were at the right place at the right time on the BM barrels you found!

The Bedford Rifle that I'm working on - I'm using a 40 cal X 42 GM barrel. I bought that barrel and a few others down at Friendship at least twenty five years ago or there abouts. Part of my two trips a year to the Nationals back then were spent scouring the sheep sheds and flea market for parts and pieces. I remember the barrel I'm using on this Bedford was sitting in a barrel with a few more with a "Sale" sign on them and I paid $60.00 for it. Now, I suffer from "sticker shock" when I see what a new GM barrel brings - but like everything else, the price only goes one way - UP!

When I get the Bedford done, next year I'm planning on doing a Bean style rifle. I've got a 3/4" octagon barrel - .36 X 42" that I'm going to use so it will be a slender rifle. That will be stocked in "Persimmon". I bought tow stock bands down at Friendship a long time ago from a fellow in the sheep sheds that was from TN. I'd never seen a "Persimmon" stock blank before so I bought one. As I walked away from his booth, I got to thinking how unusual a Persimmon blank was so I died a 180 degree turn and went back and bought the other one. It is a very close grain - dense wood and straight grained. It will be a challenge to even the sharpest tools I'm sure. It is often referred to as "poor man's ebony" as it can be stined to look like ebony. I'm thinking it is a real appropriate wood to use on a southern Bean style rifle.

Glad you were able to come across such a good buy not he GM barrels and I'm sure they'll be put to good use. Good calibers to have!

Thanks again!

Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12