Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Remlins / Marlingtons are not the only ones

Remlins / Marlingtons are not the only ones

I am very fond of older (JM marked) Marlins but have discovered that the JM mark does not guarantee a gun without flaw.

Recently I traded for a model Marlin and while working with it this morning with a newly installed tang sight I noted that the barrel is over clocked about 10 degrees. My fix is to install a band type front sight ramp. This would probably work for some of those over clocked Remlins running around.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I've owned a number of Marlins, all of them JM stamped guns. Probably half of them had ( easily fixed ) problems of one sort or another. Usually feeding problems. One of the ones I still own ( an 1895 XLR ) does have the "barrel droop" problem that some people have reported as being a problem with the Remlins. It's otherwise an excellent rifle.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

The North Haven plant put out plenty of turds over the years. The only reason JM stamped guns are worth so much is because they won't ever be made again. Don't get me wrong, I really like Marlins. But the old ones aren't the holy grail that some people think they are.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 09-15-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    actually, the old ones have better stocks. the new ones look like some south Asian military surplus prison company made em

I beg to differ inlumping them all into one group. These are actual photos of my new production 1894 LE in 45 Colt. Remlin did an excellent job on this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7334.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	204096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7336.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	204097

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    actually, the old ones have better stocks. the new ones look like some south Asian military surplus prison company made em
    There are plenty of bland stocks on JM made Marlins. Especially towards the end. Yes, the forends are slimmer and the wood to metal fit is typically better. But nice grain is nonexistent on a lot of them. Stocks in general from most manufacturers have been poor unless you pay for an upgraded model. The base models are just that.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll take a New Haven made Marlin over most North Haven, and certainly over all Ilion made...

Ostedoc's is one of the ones I talked about in another Marlin thread. It is a $1400 gun.(MSRP)

as such it should look nice. And it does.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Ostedoc's is one of the ones I talked about in another Marlin thread. It is a $1400 gun.(MSRP)

as such it should look nice. And it does.

Randy
    Thank you. I was just trying to illustrate that they CAN make nice guns when good sticks if they WANTED to.

This example is quite nice. It shoots accurate for the trailboss loads I've ran through it. Probably won't scope it and just use it as a range gun when the mood strikes. I need to get one of those sock things for it as I don't want to ding up the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I beg to differ inlumping them all into one group. These are actual photos of my new production 1894 LE in 45 Colt. Remlin did an excellent job on this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7334.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	204096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7336.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	204097
    That is some beautiful wood, not the run of the mill either.

The bulk of my centerfires are JM Marlins, The only ones I have had any issues with are with the pistol calibers or one that was abused. I am not impressed with the NY Marlins, have 2 and now have them shooting smoothly. Henry has ruined me as far as new goes, the last 2 are dreams to shoot. That is where I will get any future pistol caliber rifles.

Those Henry's are sweet no doubt.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".