Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FWIW: Lee Precision customer service......

Boolit Master

FWIW: Lee Precision customer service......

Folks,

I thought this was well worth passing on; I'm sure there are several of you, like me, who buggered up a set of dies, "twice".

Okay, I screwed up not one sizing die, but two. Somehow, while resizing some 300 Blackout brass, I got the case stuck in TWO separate dies.

I know, many of you simply throw the die in a box and look for a replacement, avoid the embarrassment. Sound familiar?

Well, I did "option 2". I packaged up both dies and one buggered up depriming rod and sent them back to Lee with a letter of explanation.

I just got off the phone with their customer service, and guess what all the grief avoidance cost me to fix everything? $6.00

And, she didn't even laugh at me on the phone when I asked her if she actually saw my mistakes..............lol!

Two thumbs up to Lee's customer service. I'll be back up and running shortly.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    Good deal! I don't mind my lee equipment it serves it's purpose for plinking rounds. If I want to get serious about rifle loading then I'll spend a bit more.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Banned
    The $6 was to cover the shipping.

Your not the first to do something like this and I'll bet my last dollar you're not the last.
    I'll bet many of us were smiling/chuckling when we read this.
    Welcome to the club.

Boolit Mold
    That is typical for Lee. Great cutomer service.

In Remembrance

I agree with Wingman61. I recently call them about a warped sprue plate and it just cost me the shipping to get it to me. No laughing,crying, complaining, or anything else. I had it in two days. No hassle and great service.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master

They have always treated me right
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    RCBS does much the same.There is normally no charge period.

Boolit Buddy
    I have called for parts from Hornady, Lyman, and RCBS, not one of the three have charged for parts or shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    RCBS does much the same.There is normally no charge period.
    True and I have great kudos for RCBS on their lifetime warranty but it is amazing that Lee, who has ,what, a year maybe, steps up to the plate as good as they do, to help people out. I actually rate them (Lee) higher than Hornady in Customer Service , in my dealings.

Again, RCBS is tops, no doubt.

No doubt RCBS is tops but you pay for it. And you pay up front, not knowing if you are going to need that customer service or not.

Lee is amazing considering what they charge for their products.
    And it is pay as you go, which IMO is helpful for those on tight budgets.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    The only "issue" I have had with Lee was with a bullet mold that I purchase through a sponsoring vendor here that should never have left the factory - mis-cut/misaligned cavities (2 cavity mold) and botched up alignment pin installation (right out of the box). Working through the vendor, the CS person must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed as their response was less than stellar. The vendor did his best and I do not hold him responsible - I just "wrote it off" rather than make a major issue out of a $20 mold.

That said . . . and I am not a "Lee basher" . . . . I use a lot of Lee stuff - 4 hole turret press, many die sets sizers, etc. and I have always found them to be a good value and they do the job just fine. I have other brands and they work well too but I still usually check out Lee first when looking at something new.

I have RCBS things as well - have never had a "service" need but have contacted them in regards to needing parts for "vintage" items a couple of times - they have always been very good to talk to and they've taken the time to search their shelves to see if they happen to have what I needed.

Lyman? I like Lyman dies - primarily their older vintage dies - and have a few sets that work great. I had to contact them once in regards to a set of pistol grips that their sub-company makes - they didn't fit the revolver as stated on the package. Whoever I taked with couldn't have cared less and basically blew me off.

Boolit Bub
    People say I am a "Lee basher" because I will state what happened to me when dealing with them. The above mold sounds typical to me. A good many years ago I got one where when they sheared off the aluminum rod it ripped a huge chunk of the side off. Then Lee machined the sides and of course used the side with the 1/4" chunk torn off to use as the top. So the finished mold had a 1/4" groove running down the middle of the top when closed. How did that get through QC? Tricky Dick finally replaced it but I got a nasty note from him back with the replacement mold like it was my fault they screwed up. Now I'll go to a dealer and look at five or six molds to find one that isn't messed up (off center, bent, handles cracked, etc.) so I can try different weights and shapes before investing in a high quality mold.

Then the Lee pot metal presses that were warped from faulty heat treating (as per the factory letter they sent with the still warped press that was sent back to me) that they refused to repair/replace.

Sure some Lee stuff is good, some very good, but quality control sucks and customer service is horrid to non-existant. Want GOOD customer service? Try RCBS, Redding, Forster, Dillon. Oh, I guess that is why they all have life time warranties and Lee has a two year warranty they rarely stand behind. Lee knows what they put out, and so do the others, hence the difference in the warranties.
    Last edited by Legion489; 10-01-2017 at 12:46 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I had to call Lee because one of my progressives was sticking rotation wise. The tech talked me through several of the likely causes and was able to get the problem solved. I agree that there is better quality stuff available but the price and functionality still seems like a good deal to me.

Boolit Bub
    I have been using a set of Lee carbide dies for both my .44mag and .357 since the late 70's. I have loaded 10s of thousand 44 and 357 rounds since with no problems. As far as "plinking" goes, I am currently using my old Lee 44mag carbide die set to load rounds that consistently group 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards with a Ruger Super Red Hawk. I use the same rounds to nail an 18 in steel gong at 190 yards with a Model 29 with a six inch barrel with iron sights.
    I also use a set of Lee rifle dies in .243 and 7mm Magnum. Both die sets produce SUB MOA rifle rounds for "plinking"

The customer service at Lee is just plain wonderfull.......bought some new dies from Midway USA , one die failed 35 rounds into it, emailed both Lee and Midway, Lee responded with sending out replacement parts....Midway said mail them back to us, we will review your failed parts and decide what to do.....

Aaron

Boolit Master

I've never had a problem with customer service from any of the reloading tool manufacturers or domestic firearms manufacturers. They seem to go out of their collective ways to help at very little or no cost, even when I am at fault. It's refreshing to see someone stand behind their product.
    I wish automobile, TV, appliance and other manufacturers had the same ethic.

Boolit Master
    Sheeesh guys! The beauty of Lee's customer service is that you don't need it, especially for a stuck case. Here's what you do and it takes a lot less time than packaging up the dies to mail back to Lee.

1) You have pulled the shell holder off the rim at this point, so poke the pulled rim back into the shell holder and get a 90 degree turn so you have a new "bite" on the rim.
    2) Unscrew the split nut that provides the tension to hold the decap pin in place; remove from die.
    3) Now you have a free decap pin that you can pound with a hammer while putting moderate downward pressure on the case at the same time (you don't want to put enough downward pressure to pull the shell holder off the rim again). This downward pressure plus the moderate pounding will remove the stuck shell quite readily.
    4) Voila!

Boolit Mold
    Called Hornady to get a replacement part after 47 years use, was sent the part no charge including shipping. On Lee dies, the best I could get our of a 9mm Carbide resizing die was 20,000 then it popped out. My 47 year old Pacific/Hornady .45acp dies are still going strong.
    Sam

Seems like Hornady offers a lifetime warranty IIRC, Lee does not but they sure stepped up to the plate on this one..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast