Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington in process of laying off workers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    It all depends on who gets in control at the particular company.
    When sales are going through the roof, and you can sell anything you can get out the door, the bookkeepers will make everyone cut corners to get the product out unless the quality control people can stop them.
    Bean counters have ruined more good businesses and quality products than any other department.
    This will happen if the CEO is also a bean counter. Companies run by guys who came up from production, engineering, or sales have a different perspective.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    This will happen if the CEO is also a bean counter. Companies run by guys who came up from production, engineering, or sales have a different perspective.
    Yes they do have a different perspective. Unfortunately, holding companies, such as the one that bought Remington and Marlin, are run by bean counters.

This is the part I don't understand. If the reason sales are dropping is because of quality, why don't they find that "bean" important? I know it's important to save money, but you have to have money coming in to be able to mizer it.

Maybe they get tired of counting beans all day and the fewer beans the better?

I just wish they would relocate to Texas. Less taxes, pro gun climate may be just what they need.
    Trade four seasons for two weather wise but what the heck.

They drop the quality to get the quantity out the door. Then when the need for the quantity drops, instead of increasing the quality again, they drop production by laying off workers.
    Their thoughts are,"We can sell the lower quality because people were buying it when guns were hard to get and we could sell poor stuff. They are used to it now."
    They fail to realize that people will buy quality over junk when quality is available and are not forced to buy whatever is available.
    I think a lot of the last few years were a kind of panic buying because of the political climate. That has changed and people will be looking for quality again.
    If Remington can't return to the quality they used to produce, they will go under as lots of other companies have.
    If the bean counters decide the company won't be making money again, they will sell it of close it down. Hopefully, someone will buy it who remembers the quality it used to produce, and bring it back.
    It may not happen under current ownership.

It's likely the accountants and upper management at Remington have never even handled a firearm. Just somebody that went to college and got some sort of degree. It's kind of like the Equifax debacle going on right now.
    Equifax “Chief Security Officer” Susan Mauldin has a bachelor’s degree and a master of fine arts degree in music composition from the University of Georgia. Her LinkedIn professional profile lists no education related to technology or security.

This is going on in all businesses. I believe too many think just because you have a college education, it makes you intelligent. Quite the opposite is often true. Some of the stupidest people I have ever met, had to go to college to become that way.

My guess is the people in charge don't give a damn about anything but a quick paycheck. After they ruin Remington, they will move on to ruin something else. Maybe some want to drive gun companies into the ground on purpose. Wolves in sheep's clothing implementing their own form of gun control.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 09-29-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If this was the case Ruger handguns would be out of business 2 years ago. Last 4 out of 5 I bought new had to be returned to have serious issues fixed.
    Sorry to hear these words ... 2 Vaqueros and a SR 1911 - no broken parts and accurate
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    This is the part I don't understand. If the reason sales are dropping is because of quality, why don't they find that "bean" important?
    Because they don't know what quality is???????????????
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    I have drifted away nearly 100% from factory firearms the past five or six years. I can get a total quality build from local gunsmiths for not much more, and have exactly the options I desire.
    I go to a wood place like Walnut Grove Gunstocks, about 45 minutes NW of the house and inspect a couple hundred fine walnut blanks, and a good supply of maple as well. And, the second best Mexican restaurant I have ever eaten in is on the way.
    I look at gunshows for good OM 70's and M98's. I love 1909 Argentines, and the 1908 Brazilians quality, as well at the VZ-24's. NECG has a catalog full of little custom bits and pieces.
    Bartlein and Krieger are for accuracy focused cartridges, and Douglas still turns out a fine barrel at a workingman's price.

By time I buy a new Remingturd action and have it trued, etc, I am within a coupe C-notes of a Kelbly or other custom that does not to be reworked.

Call this a serious rant, but it's 2017, and that is how it is...

Rich

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Rich , at least it's a polite rant that has some class .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12