Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington in process of laying off workers.

Remington in process of laying off workers.

Remington laying off workers in the Ilion MY plant. Again. The comments at the bottom of page are interesting.

End of article says "Competitor gun and ammo makers report similar challenges in their first and second quarter filings." Not sure that is a true statement.

http://www.guns.com/2017/09/11/remington-arms/

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If you look back over the last number of years, there were periods where they brought back 100 jobs, they brought back 140 jobs,” he said Friday. “So the layoffs and the recalls have been up and down.”
    Major reason why Quality of Remington firearms has diminished appreciably - parts availability is lacking and factory service of the firearms is meager
    Regards
    John

People are catching on. You can't expect people to keep buying the "Name brand" when all you put out is ****. Gp

Boolit Master

to the best of my knowledge remingturd has always had seasonal layoffs say pre sandyhook era. im sure that they havent for some time due to the number of guns selling over the last 4 or 5 years. nothing new here as far as im concerned.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Major reason why Quality of Remington firearms has diminished appreciably - parts availability is lacking and factory service of the firearms is meager
    I just bought a brand new Marlington model 1895 .45-70 gvt that is surprisingly well built.
    Fit and finish are great, wood is beautiful, and it is a dream to shoot now that I've installed a Kick-Eez magnum recoil pad.

Boolit Master

Unlike cars and microwaves, guns often last for decades and generations.

The demographics of America are showing a reduction in hunters and shooters even though the population is growing. I was just at a Natural Resources meeting last week and one of the topics was getting more youth involved in the sport. We have an annual youth day hunt and shoot sponsored by the state and Pheasants Forever in order to promote the sport. In years past I was active in teaching marksmanship to various scouting packs and troops also. Still, it's hard to fight the PC BS that is now taught in schools and shown on TV nightly. Now most kids have a distinctly negative view of shooting and hunting.

Given the above, it's amazing that new gun sales are what they are. The last administration certainly helped the gun manufacturers with panic buying from time to time, but those spikes in sales are probably now part of the cause for the downturn of sales.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Glad you got a good one. Have you looked down the bore with a scope? Hope yours is the exception and it serves you well for years to come. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    People are catching on. You can't expect people to keep buying the "Name brand" when all you put out is ****. Gp
    If this was the case Ruger handguns would be out of business 2 years ago. Last 4 out of 5 I bought new had to be returned to have serious issues fixed.

I think most would agree that the Obama administration helped the gun industry significantly. Now that the panic is reduced sales have adjusted accordingly. It seems to me that Remington should rehire a bunch of these people to help clear up the backlog of recalled X-Pro triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Caster View Post
    If this was the case Ruger handguns would be out of business 2 years ago. Last 4 out of 5 I bought new had to be returned to have serious issues fixed.
    You bought 5 in 2 years? My wife isn't that understanding!!! And I assume you are referring to their revolvers? My semi autos are top notch for reliability and accuracy.

Banned
    I grew up in Ilion MY

Boolit Master
    Deleted earlier post as I posted in the wrong topic for some reason.. Ooops.. (posted for a Ruger topic instead of Remington.

I wish someone had said something... I guess it was my turn to look stupid....

Anyway... I have Remingtons , both shotguns & rifles & have not had any issues. But mine are from the late 60's into the 70's. Sad to hear that folks are getting laid off.
    Last edited by JBinMN; 09-21-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

It all depends on who gets in control at the particular company.
    When sales are going through the roof, and you can sell anything you can get out the door, the bookkeepers will make everyone cut corners to get the product out unless the quality control people can stop them.
    Bean counters have ruined more good businesses and quality products than any other department.

Banned

I think its more of a matter of so many people went and bought guns because the feared the democrats that the market has gotten slow now. Look at about every manufacture and you will find rebates going on and in some cases so BIG rebates. Heck you can buy a smith shield (same company) for 200 bucks. AR15s that were a grand are now selling for less then half that. I can remember the same thing happening back in the early 80s. they about couldn't give away guns and the market rebounded. I'm sure it will again.

Banned
    I'll second that. Many people went out and purchased guns when obammer was in office fearing that they might never be able to purchase if they didn't do it right away. As a result some of those first time purchasers have dumped those guns they purchased back on the market. Gun manufacturers thinking the trend wasn't going to stop kept the manufacturing rate up there and as a result they are over stocked. Take a good look at some of the gun dealers that are blowing guns out at cost at some of these gun shows just to get rid of excess inventory the inventory they purchased thinking that Hitlery was going to get into office.

The prices right now suck for someone wanting to trade a gun in on another. I was offered 50% 0f the purchase price of a Kimber that was new in the box never fired and I politely told them where to go and instead sold it out right.

Remingtons of the 70's or before (all that I own) were some pretty good rifles. When did the quality start suffering?

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    My last 700 was bought in the early 2000's . Rifle would give two different groups from the same magazine full of ammo . It turns out the action was rocking in the bedding , problem was fixed with a coating of Bisonite . For a rifle like this one it should have never happened .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    I think the market may have saturated to some extent. All the panic buying before the election caused a lot of people to buy guns they probably didn't need all that much. But now with most everyone satisfied or stuck overspending with their credit cards, they aren't buying. I know of a few local gun shops that folded up their business after the election too. So it would not surprise me to see all of the gun manufacturers having to cut back and lay off people as the sales are just not there now.

Boolit Master
    Gun values for all types is tanking, both new and used. I suspect the next couple of years will be a good buying opportunity if you have spare cash laying around.
    High quality collectibles and out of production items may do well, that's about it IMO.
    East Tennessee

There are exceptions. Not all are laying off. Henry for example are adding production. I am also thinking (without any proof....just observation) Savage is at least stable. The one area that is tanking is the AR market. Proof is in the prices.

There are manufacturers that are having quality control issues, and piss poor customer service on top of it. I believe this is a big part of Remingtons problems, but they are not the only company with this issue today. If you are short on either one, customers will vote with their feet.

I'm like all of you. I would like to be brand loyal. But if Henry starts making rifles like Marlin is today, I would walk in a heartbeat. Now to be fair, Marlin is improving, but they still don't know how to make a quality barrel. Again, the proof is in the price. Some of you took advantage of the 100 dollar rebate. Some of you bought a new Marlin for 360 bucks! I almost jumped on it myself! It was an attempt to jump start their sales.

Now don't flame me for my opinion. I'm sure some of you are very happy with your modern production Marlins. Keeping in mind a loading gate is meaningless to me, when I compared Henry and Marlin in the fun store (or gun store... same thing, lol) first hand, I could never begin to rethink my decision. Their sales numbers are proof many agree with me.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 09-22-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast