RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A question on the 1903 Springfield..............

Boolit Master

Seem like you might have some contradictory/incorrect typo going on there. Happens to me all the time. . .
    Yes, my dyslexic typing again. I meant to say: They would have gone with cock on opening.

As far as rapid fire or rate of fire for troops goes:

The Krag and the 03 had a magazine cut off device as well as the original Pre * SMLE. Sergeants controlled their squad's and platoon's rates of fire much more closely than they do today. The magazine blocks were designed to aid that when the soldiers were engaged in sustained fire although in practice, that really didn't work out too well to my knowledge.

One of the key modifications to the British Enfield rifles after the Boar Wars was the addition of a clip guide and ammunition issued in 5 round clips. This enabled the Tommys to fire rapidly after their experiences with the German Mausers of the Boars.

The 1903 was designed from the outset to have a clip guide after the US Army's experiences with the German Mausers of the Spanish Army in Cuba circa 1898. This allowed US soldiers to match the rate of fire of the Spanish Mausers. Much is made of the US Ordnance Department paying royalties to Mauser for patent infringements of the 03. While not normally mentioned, one of those infringements was the clip guide milled into the receiver's bridge.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    There were several prototypes before the Springfield 03 as we know it was finalized. At least one had a single row mag like that of the 1891 Mauser.

A stripper clip designed by a US Army officer was considered but the Mauser stripper clips were more durable. IIRC the American stripper clip was much like the thruway clips used to load the M16 magazines with a clip guide adapter. A brass tab at either end holding the cartridges in place till needed.
    The British used a charger rather than a stripper clip, very different in design and best suited for rimmed cartridges.

The Mauser features copied for the 1903 were the collar that secured the extractor (not the extractor itself) and the curved flat spring of the Mauser stripper clip. Also the removable magazine floor plate.
    Mauser had copied the dual opposed front locking lugs from the GEW 88 designed by Spandau which itself had reverse engineered a stolen Lebel 1888.

Most features we think of as distinctly Mauser were purloined or brought from other gunmakers. Mauser bought up hundreds of patents just to avoid infringement suits, most of those patents were worthless in the long run.

But weren't the staggered feed magazine and claw&collar extractor Mauser inventions?

Boolit Master
    "But weren't the staggered feed magazine and claw&collar extractor Mauser inventions? "

Not sure but I believe James Parish Lee patented a double stack magazine first.
    Non rotating Claw extractors were already in use, the Krag used one of a different design, the collar that held the extractor to the bolt body was the only Mauser innovation to the extractor.

Boolit Master
    Heres the wording of the Mauser patent of the extractor collar.

UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.

PAUL MAUSER, OF OBERNDORF-ON-THE-NECKAR, GERMANY, ASSIGNOR TO VAFFENFABRIK MAUSER, OF SAME PLACE.

SHELL-EXTRACTOR FOR BOLT-GUNS.

SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 477,671, dated June 28, 1892.

Application led February 29, 1892. Serial No. 423,237. (No model.)

v To all whom it may concern,.-

Be it known that I, PAUL MAUSER, a subject of the King of lVrtemberg, German Emperor, residing in Oberndorf-on-the-Neckar, Kingdom of Wrtemberg, German Empire, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Cartridge-Shell Extractors for Breech-Loading Bolt-Guns, of which the following is a specification.

This invention relates to the connection of the extractor to the bolts of bolt-guns in which the bolt has an oscillatory and also a reciprocating movement and in which the extractor consists of an elongated metallic piece adapted to rest against the side of the bolt and within a longitudinal groove in the breechcase, the extractor being connected to a ring swiveled to the bolt in such manner that the latter can be rotated independently of the extractor, while the extractor will be coinpelled to follow the longitudinal reciprocating movements of the bolt. One such construction of breech-loading bolt-gun with its extractor is illustrated in my United States patent, No. y167,180, dated January 19, 1892.

My present invention constitutes an improved connection between the ring and extractor in guns of this class, and aims to provide an improved connection, which will be cheaper and more convenient of construction and operation than is that shown in my said patent. To this end in carrying out my invention in its preferred form I construct the ring engaging the bolt with laterally-projecting shoulders, and I construct the extractor with similar shoulders adapted to engage the shoulders on the ring by the longitudinal movement of the extractor relatively to the ring, said shoulders being adapted when the parts are in the correct relative position to lock the extractor and ring together.

In the accompanying drawings, which illustrate my invention as applied to the bolt of a gun of the class shown in my said patent,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123