Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: 460 s&w 475 linebaugh or 500 s&w in a rifle?

460 s&w 475 linebaugh or 500 s&w in a rifle?

Hi guys which of these would you have in a 24" rifle and why. I am going to have one built but I can't decided which one.

Banned

i just like the 475. Ive got a custom 94 marlin that rob applegate built for me but its only a 17 inch barrel Ive killed animals as large as bison with it. Never was much of a fan of the smith handguns in 500 and 460 but have to admit they would be formidable in a rifle! I know john Linebaugh has built some 1a rugers with 22 inch barrels in 475. I don't see a whole lot of need for a barrel any longer then that with any of those rounds..

Boolit Master

I would lean towards the 460 Rem Mag you could shoot any of the Rimmed 45C
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Banned
    None of them. All are DTD in a rifle. A 45-70 or 458 Winchester will do all and more than any of them.

Banned

I'd look at bullet availability.
    there will be a velocity gain with the longer barrel, a 300gr 45 bullet at 2200 fps might not be too bad.
    a 400gr bullet at that velocity in a 6lb rifle don't sound too fun.
    yeah you can back things down, but then you could also just get a 445 or a 454 casull or go with a black powder cartridge.

Add 2 more inches of barrel and get a Marlin Cowboy in 45/70. You will never regret it and the money you will save by buying a non custom built rifle will buy you a LOT of custom boolit molds and powder. If you decide to build a lever action rifle, be mindfull of the pressures that the S&W rounds generate. Just my 2cents worth.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I have decided to go with the 475. But my concept isn't to run them as hot as in a revolver, in fact I plan on running the 475 a fair bit less so.

The platform will be a single shot. I think the only two lever action rifles I would really trust to run the SW cases would be either the Win 94 big bore version, even then you would need to dial it back a bit or the BLR, but in the BLR it would just be plan silly, as you can get cases like the 450 marlin, 358 Win or 300 win mag.

The plan is to be running 400 grain bullets at about 1400fps from the long 24" barrel rather than pushing to get that from a 7". I plan on utilizing a powder like H4198 which can take advantage of the longer barrel to attain the same ballistics, I don't want to run 400 grain bullets at 1800 fps using 25 grains of enforcer I plan on trying 25-28 grains of H4198 with a cast bullet.

Does anyone run a 475 Linebaugh or know someone who does use it like that?
    Last edited by andym79; 09-16-2017 at 03:57 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

OP the point others are trying to make is that you will spend a LOT of $$ re-inventing the wheel. There are already long established rifles in calibers that do exactly what you want to do at the muzzle.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

You are completely right its just a lot of great cast bullet rifle cartridges were designed for BP and are either inefficient or if you want moderate velocity or near enpty for low velocity (except using trailboss). Not that this is to be a super accurate rifle, but thats the exact same reason cartridges like the 32 miller and dell were made.

The 32-40 is great but its not design for smokeless.

Of course it doesn't mean that these cartridges can't do great with smokless, I know they do, its just not optimal for them, least not with cast and maintaining a cast friendly pressure and velocity environment.

What I am trying to say is I don't like lots of air in my cases. I would love someone to make a powder bulky but with a burn rate like H4198. A clean BP.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    None of them. All are DTD in a rifle. A 45-70 or 458 Winchester will do all and more than any of them.
    yuppers. Ive got my 475 because I love that round but none of these rounds wont do what a 444 or 4570 doesn't already do and if you want REAL power why waste your time. Step up to a 50ak and kill dinosaurs.

Quote Originally Posted by andym79 View Post
    I have decided to go with the 475. But my concept isn't to run them as hot as in a revolver, in fact I plan on running the 475 a fair bit less so.

The platform will be a single shot. I think the only two lever action rifles I would really trust to run the SW cases would be either the Win 94 big bore version, even then you would need to dial it back a bit or the BLR, but in the BLR it would just be plan silly, as you can get cases like the 450 marlin, 358 Win or 300 win mag.

The plan is to be running 400 grain bullets at about 1400fps from the long 24" barrel rather than pushing to get that from a 7". I plan on utilizing a powder like H4198 which can take advantage of the longer barrel to attain the same ballistics, I don't want to run 400 grain bullets at 1800 fps using 25 grains of enforcer I plan on trying 25-28 grains of H4198 with a cast bullet.

I see your point and if YOU want one, build it brother. If you find a Ruger #3 or for that matter a #1 or even a Browning 78 the build shouldn't involve more than a barrel and an ejector modification(maybe). It would be a pretty handy little rifle with almost no action length and 24" of barrel. Sounds like about a handy 40" long gun that will hit pretty hard and.....you will have the only one, for now.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Apparently ruger did do the ruger 1 in 475 linebaugh for a bit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zQzPwg6jJ4A

Right you are and when I googled Ruger #1 475 Linebaugh, I saw Jeff Quinn on You Tube with 20" barrel. Really good looking gun. There are 4 for sale on Gunbroker right now. What are you going to hunt with this?
    Last edited by murf205; 09-18-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Banned

when rob applegate built my marlin 475 he said that he would avoid top end loads in it. My go to load shoots a 390 at about 1400 fps with 23 grains of aa9 or 25 grains of 110. Your not going to gain anything using 4198. Its just to slow and all your going to do is use more powder. The buffalo I killed with my marlin was with a 350 wfn and 26 grains of 110 at a bit over 1500 fps. That is that guns best load for accuracy. I'm not much on wfns or lighter bullets but that gun just happens to like that load and it did just fine on buffalo and would probably be fine on ANY game animal. Only problem with that load is accuracy is great at a 100 yards. It shoots that bullet into less then 2inch. Put that target out at a 150 and groups are closer to 6 inch. the 390 load I also shoot in it will shoot great out to 200 yards. Granted a 475 lever gun isn't a gun I'm taking out in the field if I think the range might be past a 100 yards anyway. So basically the loads I use are more of a 480 load then a real 475 load. Bullets over 390 don't shoot real well in that gun. I'm sure its a twist thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by andym79 View Post

Boolit Mold
    http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-No1-475L.htm

Good article with a 475 #1 and some load data.

In Remembrance
    Ruger also made at least one 460.

Banned

John Linebaugh made up a number of 500 linebaugh 1a's too. What id like to see is ruger make a 22 inch #1 in 50ak. Now that would be a thumper!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    John Linebaugh made up a number of 500 linebaugh 1a's too. What id like to see is ruger make a 22 inch #1 in 50ak. Now that would be a thumper!
    Contact Lipseys. If there is enough interest they will make a limited run of them. Pretty much the only way it will happen.

Boolit Master

Lipsey has Ruger No.1 in .480/475 Linebaugh and .460 in stock.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB