RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Winchester primers

Boolit Master

Winchester primers

My neighbor just offered 5000 standard large rifle Win primers for a good price ,I am shooting a C Sharps 1874 45/70 and am running out of CCI primers but have zero experience with Win primers and wonder if anyone has an opinion on them /Thanks Ed

Boolit Grand Master

I have had misfires with the last win primers I bought in my c sharps high wall ( 38-55) and Hepburn (45-90) but Other batches Have been okay. Ive gotten very good loads with black powder and Remington LR primers Next is the Federal Gold medal match primers.

Boolit Master
    I bought a large supply of Winchester LR primers during the Clinton shortage. They have been excellent primers in a wide assortment of loads and rifles.
    I think they are at least equal to Remington but not quite as good as my favorite Federal #210s.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I buy Winchester primers almost exclusively (best price locally). Large Rifle, Large Rifle Magnum, Small Rifle, Small pistol and Small pistol magnum. By my records I have over 25,000 rounds fired without a primer failure.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using Winchester primers, of the Large Rifle and Large Pistol varieties, exclusively since 2000. In the seventeen years since, I've noted no failures or other complaints. If and/or when I ever start to run low on CCI Small Rifle and Small Pistol primers, I'll likely switch those to Winchester as well.

I used to use WIN LRP and when they changed from the white box to the blue box I started to get some unexplained excess verticals but I never had ignition problems using them and I still have two and part of sleeves left, but I don't use them for shooting matches. I switched to CCI 200 and get along fine with them. Back when the primer shortage was I picked up 5000 of the Russian KVB-7 and they are very good but they are a little over sized and fit tight in the primer pockets so they are set back for oversized primer pockets, but they sure work well for black powder.
    Here is a primer test chart http://castingstuff.com/primer_testing_reference.htm

Boolit Buddy
    funny you should mention the russian primer kurt.
    i tried some in the 45/2.4" the other day and they shot better vert than cci br and federal match lr.
    they are certainly larger in diameter than american primers, but it does not seem to matter.
    they gave the 2nd best vert in the 40/72, only bettered by fed lp mach with a paper wad seated in the bottom of the primer pocket.
    we often read of some primer or wad being particularly good in a certain rifle, only to find that it is less than optimum in our own.
    just goes to show that you have to do your own homework.
    sellier and bellot primers are getting some good reports in long range circles at the moment.
    they are noted for being a gentle primer.
    of course all testing of primers can be negated by lack of a consistent barrel condition, however that may occurr.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

Boolit Master
    Many thanks I guess I will get them,(really good price)! Ed