RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sizing .223 Brass in an XL650

Boolit Grand Master

I've had only one problem using RCBS X dies on military brass, and that was my fault. I had to replace the deprime stem and didn't check the neck expander size. Wound up with over 700 pieces with a neck size of .218, that couldn't be trimed. They were consistant, just too small.
    Un-necessarily having to resize 700+ pieces is no small trick, but it taught me a valuable lesson about assuming that what I ask for, was what RCBS actually sent me. We both goofed, but I had to pay the price.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    You have to stand by the fact that speed is not necessarily superior too.
    You cannot miss fast enough to win a gun fight so to speak.

I do know that I produce cases with a much more consistent shoulder position than any factory. I know this because I have measured lots of loaded factory ammo and I have measured my own sized cases and determined where the variations came from and how to get rid of the variations. A large part of this superior shoulder location is the result of running the sizing process very slowly, rotating the case and making multiple strokes. You can claim all you want with a high speed process but you will never approach the shoulder location accuracy that I get.

QC is an old totally obsolete term in modern manufacturing.
    If you want consistently good product you have to exercise statistical process control. Statistical process control can predict when a process begins to get out of control but before it produces out of tolerance product. That is the basis of the various 6 sigma programs.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    No one ever said that there is no room for QC checks, that is done along the way at each and every step of the process. I do anneal every rifle case and they all run through the trim die after sizing if they need it or not. It takes more time to stop am measure every case for OAL than it does just to run them through the process.

That said there are people that load on single stage presses much slower that do none of that. It's a fact that there are many single stage loaders that strive to get ammunition that shoots as accurate as say Federal Gold Match that is made at the rate of thousands of an hour.

I'll stand by the fact that something is done quickly is not necessarily inferior to something done slowly.
    Last edited by EDG; 09-17-2017 at 02:39 AM.
    EDG

You have to stand by the fact that speed is not necessarily superior too.
    Sure, as I said, it's not about how long the operation takes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12