Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Issues with Jams in new CZ-75 barrel

Issues with Jams in new CZ-75 barrel

I had to replace my new CZ-75 SP-01 (non Shadow) barrel. The new barrel is having mad issues with projectiles not going to battery. It had been set with Go/no Go guages, then hogged out a bit more (twice) to give it a little more room. It still seems to catch the odd Magma Engineering 124gn BB NLG Hi-Tek coated projectile sized to .356 on the ogive which then is a bear to eject. I played with seating depth a bit more and I had to push it to 1.053" to get it to easily pass the barrel plunk test. That seems ridiculously short. I was wondering what the shortest people have ran in some of their guns. I also tried a Lee 125-356 2R and is passes at 1.063" Still very, very short. I have not fired any at those seating depths, just dummy rounds. If I grab a Magma 147gn FN BB NLG loaded out to 1.113" it passes fine. Also the Berry 125gn TMJ rounds loaded to 1.106 seem ok. It is more of a slanted ogive than the 1R/2R is and seems to fit fine. I am a bit confused as to whether or not I should ream out the chamber more or just switch over to the 147gn and be done. Thoughts? Damn, I really liked those 124gn BB NLG projectiles too.

Kraken Fan #69

You need to have the barrel throated. The boolits are jamming into the rifling causing your failure to go into battery.
    I would recommend Dougguy. He did a couple of barrels for me that had the same issue and did a wonderful job.

Boolit Master

I would open the chamber or rather have DougGuy do it since I don't have the tooling or talent.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned

I have a load that runs at .98 oal

if your jamming into the rifling you need the throat cut.

Boolit Buddy

I concur with the throating but you may just adjust the OAL for this specific barrel by "plunking". That is cheaper than all that machining.

Thanks for the replies. The machinist that fit my new barrel will do it for me as part of the install. Just a little concerned about hoggin out too much and pooching the barrel.

Kraken Fan #69

Quote Originally Posted by KrakenFan69 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The machinist that fit my new barrel will do it for me as part of the install. Just a little concerned about hoggin out too much and pooching the barrel.

Kraken Fan #69
    At this point your gunsmith shouldn't be making the chamber longer. He should be tapering the rifling where it starts just in front of the barrel or giving it a little freebore. The actual chamber dimensions should not change.

Boolit Buddy
    I had the same problem in my 75 Compact. Problem solved with the Lee 356-120-TC at 1.030. I think you'll find that if one bullet doesn't work in the 75 its best to keep trying others.