Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lowest alloy for powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by second chance View Post
    Thank you for that ingot mold suggestion, It hadn't occurred to me that I would need a way to break down the 5lb bars into something more measurable. As well as having a way to empty the pot to possibly change alloys. Every exchange here is a learning experience, even if it's just learning what questions to ask next! HaHa. Thanks again, Terry
    I use the 2.5 lb ingots, for a couple reasons. They fit easily into my Lee 4-20 pot and they stack up between my 2 x 4 's well:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.5# Ingots.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	204472

I use Linotype to mix with my pure lead to get a BHN 10 mix, which is what I pour at. Once I cast, I powder coat with Harbor Freight Red powder paint, and then size.

I use Brinells method to measure hardness, but it requires a drill press, bathroom scale and a micrometer:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Measure Brinell Hardness.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	204473

Just be prepared for the learning curve. It takes a while to master smelting, pouring, and powder coating.

.38's are a lot more forgiving.....

45ACP, 38 are low pressure loads so the 'soft' works. 9, 357 & 40 are not low pressure. Other problem with soft for rifle is trying to prevent swelling of the nose when seating. Just pulled a dozen for the BO that wouldn't chamber. The 30/30 is a Marlin MG - I've never shot 'soft' in it before - they like fat hard boolits. Hopefully I'll get to shoot soft from the BO next week - I shoot it better. PC will 'fatten' the boolits and it does work. The soft stuff drops smaller and SIZES smaller. No spring back of the alloy.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    45ACP, 38 are low pressure loads so the 'soft' works. 9, 357 & 40 are not low pressure. Other problem with soft for rifle is trying to prevent swelling of the nose when seating. Just pulled a dozen for the BO that wouldn't chamber. The 30/30 is a Marlin MG - I've never shot 'soft' in it before - they like fat hard boolits. Hopefully I'll get to shoot soft from the BO next week - I shoot it better. PC will 'fatten' the boolits and it does work. The soft stuff drops smaller and SIZES smaller. No spring back of the alloy.
    I shoot .357's made with my "Soft" BHN 10 Alloy. I PC with Harbor Freight Red, and no hardening. I also like a big bang, so always do max loads.

Boolit Buddy
    With 9mm id say its more about proper size and coating than hardness.

Boolit Master
    Different pistols will tolerate different alloy hardness as well. Before I started powder coating I cast all my 9mms 15 BHN. I've cast 38s as low as 8 BHN. I basically cast different alloy hardness to suit whatever I was casting for.

With powder coating I now cast everything 12 BHN. If I wanted to push .357's to magnum type velocity I'd maybe go up a little in hardness.

I do still gas check my 30 caliber super sonic rifle loads but honestly haven't had the chance to test them without the checks yet.

It seems larger bores are more tolerant to softer alloy using powder coating. This is probably true using lube as well.

My latest test was using Lee 440gr .501" cast in the 12-14 BHN hardness powder coated with Harbor freight red and sized .501" WITHOUT GAS CHECK.

According to Lyman Cast Handbook data the load produces over 30,000 psi and 1450 fps. Despite being 3x the pressure Lee's alloy strength chart shows should work, these are working great and since the shake and bake method also coats the base I'm not getting any lead spay in the muzzle brake either like I used to when lubed and shot with only 13gr Unique.

Motor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123