Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Ruger American Ranch rifle in .300BO, new to me, trip to range.

Boolit Master

Ruger American Ranch rifle in .300BO, new to me, trip to range.

Well I recently traded into, rather cheaply, a one owner Ruger Ranch, American in .300BO. I am late to the party on this caliber, as I am a bit jaded, being a gunsmith with 30+years bench experience, and seeing not too much new on the block that impresses me. After tinkering with customers rifles, mostly AR's, finally getting one myself, the accuracy potential of this round is impressive, in the AR's and bolt rifles I have shot. My heavy barrel AR .300 BO will keep any factory round I have tried, inside a inch for 3 shot group, scoped with a 3x9x 40@ 100yds, benched. Not too many bolt guns will do that, with factory ammo! I traded for this one, my buddy is a accuracy nut like myself. I have not had time to reload yet, but went to the range to zero the Ruger today, had a Burris FF2s, 3x9x40, ballistick plex reticle. This is a proven scope on different rifles, took 4 shots to zero, then moved to 100yds, 3 more shots, and was dialed in with Fiocchi 150 grain FMJ, around a inch, just under. Rem 125 HP's, went into 3/4" for 5 shots, not too shabby. Then I tried some 220gr. Rem. HP's, and 3 went into a ragged hole, with a hole on each side of the big one, all under a inch, @100yds!!, Taking my time I shot 5 more with the 220's, and they went into .690, outside to outside of one big hole! Now this is about as good as I or anyone I know, can do with a 3x9, much less with factory ammo, factory gun, with nothing done to it!! A beautiful evening to be at the range, a new rifle that zeroed easy, and shoots great groups with factory ammo, and I was listening to classic country, Marty Robbins singing "Big Iron on his hip". Don't get much better than that. After all the bad hype I have heard about the Ruger American, this makes 8 different ones I have set up for folks, all shot really well, and worked flawlessly. I must just be blessed. Just thought I would share.

Boolit Master
    Nice. Sounds like you got a keeper there too.

I am enamored of this little round myself. I have shot many 1" groups with a stock 16" Anderson barrel on my lightweight AR. A bolt gun would be very neat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That's some impressive shooting, and equally impressive accuracy.

I've had my 300 BO AR built for about 2 months now, but haven't had a chance to fire it yet.

Speaking of Fiocchi 300 BO ammo, I'm jealous that they seem to have exclusive access to a blue tipped Hornady SST.

What about us reloaders, Hornady?

Boolit Master
    I have a Remington Tactical 300 Whisper (BO) Give JD Jona credit where credit is due. It is absolute Tac driver. It's great little cartridge. The Ruger American I had in 5.56 was a great shooting little rifle I know three other guys who have them in various calibers all of them out shoot their owners.

Boolit Master
    I have been looking hard at this rifle in this cartridge and the only thing I have read negative is that is magazine is pretty crummy.
    What has been your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by dg31872 View Post
    I have been looking hard at this rifle in this cartridge and the only thing I have read negative is that is magazine is pretty crummy.
    Kinda depends on the boolit you are shooting. Some feed better than others....
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dg31872 View Post
    The stock design. It has a low comb designed for iron sights. But it doesn't come w/ one. For a rifle w/ a picatiny rail and threaded barrel it should have a stock w/ a high comb designed for scope use. Yes, I know I can buy a new stock or get a cheek riser. And yes, I know it's a cheap rifle. But someone wasn't thinking when they sent it out the door this way.

The only other issue I've had is heavy copper fouling. Could literally see the streaks down the barrel. Hasn't effected accuracy. But cleaning it out is never high on my "things to do that are fun" list.

Boolit Bub
    Don't have a 300BO but do have a .308 Ruger American. It's extremely accurate and functions flawlessly. I hear complaints about the clip and feeding but haven't had issues at with that. After seeing how my rifle shoots, a friend bought one in 6.5 creedmoor...his is a tack driver too!

I think they are a tremendous value for the money...