Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: did i tell you I love the 240 wby

Banned

did i tell you I love the 240 wby

Ive had wby rifles in all calibers up to 340. I know there not cast bullet guns and some consider them an overkill but there excellent guns when the deer look small at 9x!! Probably my two favorites are the 240 and 257. Ive sold them all but my 240 and will never part with that one. its a standard grade mark v with a 4x12 leupold. It only has a 24 inch very thin barrel so its a joy to carry too. I shoots a 100 sierra semi point or a 95 bt into right around a 1/2 in at 100 yards for 5 shots. Ive killed MANY deer with it doing crop damage shooting. Dumped a nice spike in its tracks last night and got to thinking and cant ever recall a deer I shot with it doing any more then making one leap and piling up. It doesn't have the smack the 257 has at long range but its much quieter and recoils less (although neither have much). Ive shot deer out a bit past 400 yards with it and even the spike last night was at 340 which is a fair poke. I don't think theres a rifle in the safe that I have more confidence in putting meat in the freezer when I touch it off.

A late friend had a similar rig. I enjoyed shooting it and he carried it along Prairie dog shooting once. To each his own; I consider the 25-06 to be a better way to play that ballistic ballpark. Someone else will say 6mm-284 or 6mm-06; high cost & low availability of brass keep the .240 obsolete. If Roy W had based it on the standard Magnum case head it would absolutely be twice as popular. IMHO.
    Best, Thomas.

Banned

yup brass is hard to find and expensive. It also wont do anything my 2506 wont do with 100 grain bullets and the 2506 has the advantage of 120s if you want. Thing is its just a cool little case. Looks like a mini 300 wby. I guess a guy can get as much performance out of a new Camaro as you can out of a Porsche too for half the money but if you won the lotto and could afford either which would you choose. I believe he scaled down the case and case head so it would fit in a smaller action. Its the only weatherby other then the 225 wby that shares the same size case head as the 06. Its a shorter and smaller diameter bolt that makes for a lighter gun. Mine is a standard grade with a thin 24" barrel and it weights about the same as my 280 win featherweight. I guess too if practicality was of any importance to me I wouldn't fool with any of the 6mms or 25s. Id just own my good old o6 and 44 mag for everything. I'm sure not trying to pretend its something it isn't. But for whitetail or antelope sized game at 300 yards it "GETS IT DONE" and you have the cool factor of probably not seeing another one in the field. Kind of the same reason I love the 2506 and the 280 and hate the 270 or love the 6mm rem and don't care for a 243. Kind of why I like the 44 mag too. Its become the IN thing to own a 45 colt and claim its far superior to the 44mag. Ive got a number of both and just like the 44mag because again it GETS IT DONE. Its probably too why my favorite big mag gun is my 300 H&H.

Yours must be on the Varmintmaster action. My friends was the full size Mark V with the pencil barrel. It was sorta heavy but that action was so cool. The .224 Weatherby is the oddest ( like a belted .30 Rem) while the .240 is a belted 06- easy to rebarrel if the 240 burns out the throat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

LLoyd I have a American made Mark V in .257 WM, Leuplod 4-12x with target turrets and the long range reticle, and love it. Mine has the synthetic stock and aluminum bedding. I have used 7mm Rem Mag a lot in years past for my field rifle and long shots, but the 257 WM has now replaced it. Lighter recoil and a tick flatter. My self imposed range limit on deer is 400 yards, and the 257 WM gets it done with ease.

I will say one thing about Weatherby's, mine was good to go right out of the box. They guarantee accuracy, and they deliver it.

The price of Weatherby are not much different than some of the other high end brands nowadays.

Always thought the 240WM would be a good rifle.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Banned

my hunting partners go to gun is his vanguard 2 257wby. Hes a handloader but is the type that buys one box of bullets one powder and one primer and loads ammo to save money. He is shooting 115 bts 7828 and a cci mag primer and showed me 3 shot groups he shot this summer with all three bullets touching. My last 257 was a cdl rem and if it would have shot like that even after many range trips and many different combos it would still be in the safe! I agree with you. Ive shot deer at long range with the 7mag 7stw and all the 30 mags and even to 500 yards none kill deer sized game one bit better then a 257 wby. Its a step up from the 240/2506, kills deer sized game as well as anything and does it with the recoil of about a 308. LIke me hes one that's allways buying and swapping guns. told him last night on our way home from hunting that if he ever decided to sell that one I had first dibs on it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    yup brass is hard to find and expensive. It also wont do anything my 2506 wont do with 100 grain bullets and the 2506 has the advantage of 120s if you want. Thing is its just a cool little case. Looks like a mini 300 wby. I guess a guy can get as much performance out of a new Camaro as you can out of a Porsche too for half the money but if you won the lotto and could afford either which would you choose. I believe he scaled down the case and case head so it would fit in a smaller action. Its the only weatherby other then the 225 wby that shares the same size case head as the 06. Its a shorter and smaller diameter bolt that makes for a lighter gun. Mine is a standard grade with a thin 24" barrel and it weights about the same as my 280 win featherweight. I guess too if practicality was of any importance to me I wouldn't fool with any of the 6mms or 25s. Id just own my good old o6 and 44 mag for everything. I'm sure not trying to pretend its something it isn't. But for whitetail or antelope sized game at 300 yards it "GETS IT DONE" and you have the cool factor of probably not seeing another one in the field. Kind of the same reason I love the 2506 and the 280 and hate the 270 or love the 6mm rem and don't care for a 243. Kind of why I like the 44 mag too. Its become the IN thing to own a 45 colt and claim its far superior to the 44mag. Ive got a number of both and just like the 44mag because again it GETS IT DONE. Its probably too why my favorite big mag gun is my 300 H&H.
    This is the point, really, and it could be similarly comparerigid with variours others. But if the brass stays in production, or if you are prepared to pay for and keep a large quantity, it won't be any worse. You won't save any money by buying a little at a time through the 2020s.

I also loved my formerly-Enfield till I exchanged it for an original Mannlicher-Schoenauer which needed work. There is a deal too much modernity around nowadays.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    One thing with the Weatherby brass, is that although it is expensive, it is as tough as and lasts well. I picked up a 240WbyM in a trade (1985 Jap built MkV) with a heap of factory ammo and brass. It is buried at the back of one of the safes at the moment, I'll have to rectify that.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    My 240 Wby is made on a VZ24 Mauser action. Got it cheap because the seller did not know what caliber it was (not marked). I looked for brass for quite a while, paid $1.50 each for a few "once" fired pieces, even tried making some. Converting '06 to 240 Wby Mag is possible, but it didn't go well for me. Ended up getting lucky and picked up a bunch of loaded ammo and brass from this forum very reasonably.

The guy who built mine put a 21" barrel on it...it's loud. If I ever have to sell all my stuff for some reason, it will probably be the last one to go.

Banned

yup ive tried the making brass out of 06 brass myself. I guess if I was put against the wall with no other way to shoot it it could be done but I have enough brass to probably last my lifetime.