MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question.My 3 dots

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    it's the heat.
    just run about 200 boolits through the press, it will cool down and the dot's will go away.
    Hey run, do you advocate turning the heat on, then turning it off? I wish I had a PID or something to see how warm it's getting. My problem is I'm trying to find the perfect temp and pressure and I'm chasing my tail so to say.

I'd be interested in your process with the Star as well as what lube you use in it.

Your input is very valuable to me.

thank you Sir

Joe

Boolit Master
    I run a poor man's PID on my Star.....power to heater controlled by a rheostat fan switch. Monitor temperature of heater by placing a "meat" thermometer on the heating plate.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Build a pid. You'll love it. 'Should be able to put one together for $60 bucks or so.

OBIII sells em complete, if you want to get it going fast.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Is that his user name? I may go that route. I barley have time to think let alone have another project to build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I always have "barley time".

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I always have "barley time".
    Bwahahahahahahaaaaa...Opppsss

After weeks of use I still get the dots. Very frustrating but they are almost all gone. I just can't eliminate them totally. I'm thinking of trying base first sizing as getting the dots of the base will be easier as I load. Even wit no air pressure I get them so thought it was lube temp. Carnauba Red at temp probe shows 95 deg and still little dots! aghhhhhhhh. I do love the sizer however, pretty fast. I've yet to really use the auto feed. It's still on my bench.

Boolit Master
    Reduce your pressure and increase your pump stroke length.

Boolit Master

After reading all the replies, all are quite good, using the Star can be a whole new ball game on lube/sizing. We have used Stars for around 10 years or so and the only lube/sizer. What we finally came up with and have stayed with it after much hair pulling is
    1. Nose up or down there is a sweet spot for the lube holes.
    2. Using air pressure only enough to 'push' the lube. Seems the crank system can be way to much or not enough.
    3. Our heat source is a Magma, no PID, adjust the heat 'JUST' enough to fill lube groves, we leave the heater turned on through out the setting. We use only Magma blue.
    Do believe the dots can come from to much heat and maybe to much pressure, again, the sweet spot is your best bet.
    Also when changing lube dies, we just eyeball the bullet lube grove to match the lube squirt holes, look in bottom of die to see how much space is there when bullet is matched up 'close' for lube holes, will take a few bullets to find out where your punch needs to be, adjust punch up or down in small increments.
    Just don't rush it, it'll all come in time. Just my 'two'.
    Gottcha confused now ???

Boolit Master
    This may or may not help, as you may have already tried it but here goes:

The Star needs to have the punch set so it positions your boolit lube groove just above the size die lube hole, you are using just one set of lube holes right?, just as the handle linkage hits the punch for the lube pump.

As you push the handle down and activate the lube pump the linkage pushes the boolit that last bit of distance to center the lube groove with the set of holes your using in the size die. No excess lube on boolits. any holes not used in the die can be shut of with lead shot I think 8 or 9 is the shot size to use.

I have a 45-70 Lyman HP mold with Three lube grooves I had Lathesmith make me a custom size die with my center to center measurements off the lube grooves in the mold.

Set up was about 4 minutes and I get all three grooves filled on every pass, never have to repeat and don't get excess lube unless I run to much heat, that Star still runs Carnauba Red and has a heater.

Out of curiosity what boolit are you lubing?

HM

Hey HM, it's a 190 gr SWC 45 acp bullet. I'll take another look but honestly the 3 dots are very faint. I think I may have it figured out. When I have the budget I will give the lath smith dies a try.

Really appreciate the help

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    This may or may not help, as you may have already tried it but here goes:

The Star needs to have the punch set so it positions your boolit lube groove just above the size die lube hole, you are using just one set of lube holes right?, just as the handle linkage hits the punch for the lube pump.

As you push the handle down and activate the lube pump the linkage pushes the boolit that last bit of distance to center the lube groove with the set of holes your using in the size die. No excess lube on boolits. any holes not used in the die can be shut of with lead shot I think 8 or 9 is the shot size to use.

I have a 45-70 Lyman HP mold with Three lube grooves I had Lathesmith make me a custom size die with my center to center measurements off the lube grooves in the mold.

Set up was about 4 minutes and I get all three grooves filled on every pass, never have to repeat and don't get excess lube unless I run to much heat, that Star still runs Carnauba Red and has a heater.

Out of curiosity what boolit are you lubing?

HM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12