MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a new reloading manual

I need a new reloading manual

My Speer #11 is copy write 1986, the Hornady, 1991. I spoke with the Speer tech support guy last night and he says the data is obsolete. I think I should take his advice. I know I want/need the highly recommended Lyman cast boolit hand book, but what else are you folks using? I considered the caliber specific manuals since I don't really load a large variety here. Just the usual, popular rifle and pistol loads. What say the collective, whats your go-to favorite cook book?

Boolit Master

I have a library of reloading texts, although the Lyman CBH #3 and #4 are my most used tomes when it comes to lead projectiles. I see that Lyman now has their #50 manual out which covers jacketed and cast.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

Speer 14, Nosler 6 and Lyman 50 are the newest I have, lots of data for nearly everything

EDIT: I think my Hornady 9th is newer than Nosler 6 but it's all good
    Last edited by swheeler; 09-13-2017 at 12:04 AM.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master
    I like Lyman and Speer; they were what I learned to load on. Speer No. 9 and Lyman 45 were the first ones I bought. I now have all four Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks, but I find 3 to be the most useful, though many of the powder choices are no longer available. I have the latest (14) Speer manual as well as Hodgdon's Manual, though that is available on line, as are Accurate and Alliant data. If I could only have one, I'd spring for the latest Lyman Manual, No. 50, with the powder guys on line to cross check with if I had any doubts.

It is of some passing interest to note that I still use two loads from the 1957 Lyman manual. My 30-30's get a regular diet of the 311-466 over 17.5 grains of 2400 and my 38 Specials see a fair few 148 grain WC's over 3.0 grains of Bullseye--when I can find it. I still shoot the Speer 150 grain Spitzer over 55 grains of 4350 in my 30-06 too. Not all that is old is obsolete and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I have several
    Honestly I seek out older manuals and use them the most as they have the data in looking for that most of the new manuals don't have especially in calibers like 45-70
    Lyman 45th
    Older Speer from the 70's
    Hornady 4th I think
    I always check new manuals if info is available
    The Lee manual is great
    And cast bullet handbook
    And I always have the yearly guides the powder companies give out

Also if you go to the powder manufacturers website most all of them have a great online reloading data center

Depending on what I am trying to accomplish, I pick up my Lyman 50, the newest Hornady manual(10th edition), or check the Hodgdon data site online. They all have handgun data for at least some cast/swaged boolits in most calibers along with plenty of jacketed data.
    If you are looking at cast in a rifle, the Lyman manual is the way to go. If you are looking for jacketed loads, all three have good data to use for comparison.
    The newest manuals have data for the new powders except for the new IMR powders which you can get from the Hodgdon site.

I have 11 manuals from 1972 to present. I use the old ones a lot still.

Boolit Master
    The Speer guy is either their new product liability lawyer, or the guy in marketing who wants to sell you a new manual.
    None of the previous manuals ever become "obsolete"; they only print a new one to add new powders and designs. And lower the loads two or three percent to lower the issue of liability a wee bit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    The Speer guy is either their new product liability lawyer, or the guy in marketing who wants to sell you a new manual.
    None of the previous manuals ever become "obsolete"; they only print a new one to add new powders and designs. And lower the loads two or three percent to lower the issue of liability a wee bit.
    ^This is my thinking... ^

That Speer #11 mentioned in the OP was my first handgun/rifle reloading manual, and I use it still to this day, even though I have newer manuals to reference also. I am still using loads listed in that older manual from back then in modern pistols & have had -0- troubles. I am no expert, but if those loads were safe then, I'd reckon they should be safe now... Work for me anyway.

If ya find yourself uncomfortable using that data, then sure... Get yourself more modern ones. But, I would hang on to the older ones anyhow. if nothing else for comparisons, or if ya find some component that is listed in the old ones, but not in the new ones. [I.E. - I have been experimenting with some powders, Red Dot being one of them & I can find listings in the old speer#11 that are not listed in the newer ones. Same with bullet/boolit styles.]

BTW, if ya decide ya don't want those older manuals, I'll bet there are more than one member here that would love to have them.

G'Luck with whatever ya decide to do!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

You have been given good advice, question is what will you do with it?

I have an older speer manual, as well as the Lyman # 3 and 4 cast bullet manuals. I like both. I really wish Lee had a manual with data for every cast bullet they ever made a mold for. Especially if they would focus more on a wider range of powders. The data sheets in most of their dies seldom includes a powder I have access to.

On the plus side if you have a computer and are willing to do some work you can mine powder manufacturers data very efficiently.

For example Alliant's Red Dot. Go through the calibers you load for, make notes. Good notes, find what you need and you can save the money for a new manual.

Up to you, there are options. Choose wisely

I got the Lyman 50th and the 4th cast one.i do have other Lyman's But they are the up date ones I got and have some of the carts. that there older ones do not have . But also look at some of the older ones for the reason that was stated also.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    I use my old manuals as most of my guns are old and I've used the same loads for years. When I do get a new caliber I check the on line reloading data from the power manufacture for data.

I have 8 manuals i use. But i use my notes of what calibers that i am loading for the most.I have had a hard time buying my favorite powders (they are now getting better to find)and looked up the data in all the books and online for the powder that was available to me it got me to the range to shoot different loads.I try not to use just one source>

Boolit Master
    I regret that my really old Manuela burned with my store. The loads were as much as 20% hotter in some calibers. SAAMI seems to be run by lawyers.

I now favor the caliber specific manuels as they draw from all sources.

Get the Lyman. If all you plan to shoot are cast bullets, get the CBH. Otherwise, the regular Lyman product. They have data for cast and jacketed bullets, and loads with a wide variety of powders.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

Lee simply reprints powder company data. Lyman, Sierria, Hornaday, Speer, and Hodgdon all shoot their own data. I will use old manuals because I shoot calibers that are not in the current manuals. I have data going back to the 20's and 30's but take it with a handful of salt. Old data needs to be used with a significant degree of research and knowledge, not taken as factual, but it is useful as guidelines as long as we know the problems with it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    Don't get rid of what you have now, just add to it. Today's books lack older information on older standards.
    The idea that folks don't shoot this round anymore appears to be a ink saving thought.
    .44 spl. wad cutter info is not current or often printed, neither is .45 Win Mag.
    If you have something out of the current, popular, this is what is being used now don't plan on finding it in a new book.

Just my own thoughts on the subject,
    Good luck, take care,

Boolit Master

I download the PDF copies of all of the powder manufacturer/resellers and use the data to augment my older (40 to 5 year old) reloading manuals. These renamed powder being introduced are a source of frustration; I am not buying them yet, but as the availability of the old name powders start to dry up I see difficulties downstream.

As another aside; searching "Real Life" testing and load developments on Cast Boolits and some other similar sites plays a large role in my personal load developments.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    I just realized that many pages in my manuals are unused, need to buy a few more guns I guess.

lol, I hear that! by the way, does lyman #50 have 9.3X62 data, I have the 49th and it doesn't, so I wouldn't buy the 50th unless it did
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast